Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Default why are these cars so damn expensive?

when the mk IV supra was out, brand new, it was expensive but it was never this crazy... I looked at some ads for a slight modded to stock supra, I did not care if it was turbo or not as it was a car my nephew wanted to purchase and he is a college kid that just wants a supra, I figured I'll help him

WTF? I could not find anything nearly stock and the ones that were had over 190k miles with a price tag of over 25 big ones, no way in hell I'd buy something like that

WTf are people thinking? second search on autotrader was for a 1993 to 1999 nissan 240sx (silvia) and the prices were off the charts the cheapest one was a 5,000 dollar junker with tons of rust, and a nice KA24 engine with 230k miles on it... this is stupid

so we set on a nicely priced and equipped 1997 eclipse GSX (AWD turbo 4g63t) with only 2 mods, a big godzilla front mount intercooler and boost controller, we are going to go see it and buy tomorrow, it is a nice car, has less than 80k miles and goes for less than 6,000 too bad it is white, not a color I like much, again what are people thinking, there are supras and RX-7 cars on sale ads for over 2 years and they wonder why people will not buy them? I like my rx-7 and all but I know that if I put it for sale I cannot expect to make 45 thousand on it, even if I think it is worth it, it is a hard pill to swallow when you see a car with lots of wear and tear on the engine and trans going for such out of this orbit prices, don't even get me started on old skyline prices, you could not find one here for less than 50 G's and then you will have to pay the tax man to register a car that is illegal to own in the USA

think about this for a second, 50 grand can buy you a new corvette or
-a slightly used aston martin v8 vantage
-a dodge viper
-a slightly used M5
and many others
and you will be happier and cooler to boot, most likely without the worries of trying to find parts for a caveman era supra or a skyline which needs parts imported from the moonspeak land, why do they post these ridiculous prices for these cars?

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
zeus_2011
Regular User

You should see the prices in Greece...bog standard s13 200sx (91-92 model) going for about 25k Euros...I had one in the UK that was perfect back in 2000, and I paid 2K GBP for it then! Amazing what people expect to get come selling time!
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
fordgt84
Regular User

maybe cuz it's really hard to find a supra that hasn't been "touched" a little? or maybe a lot of people still have the fast and furious fever over there...

anyhow i just checked out a 1994 supra turbo on autotrader.co.uk and it's selling for £5250, 86k miles, but automatic...prices for a lot of sports cars and SUVs in the uk have plunged since the economic crisis began. ofcourse the car is rhd, and a lot of them are automatics. if that does not bother u, there are also plenty of N/A versions with sub 100,000 miles and sub £8000 that "look" stock. how much it will cost u after shipping and taxes? i really can't tell u, but u might as well just check them out
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...r=quick&page=5

i also checked out a swiss site and i found a very low mileage LHD example, with turbo and manual transmission. but the price will bring tears to your eyes, 67000 Swiss Francs = 60500 US Dollars
http://www.autoscout24.ch/AS24Web/De...4&page=1&row=8
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Supply and Demand?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

They can ask those prices all day long.. but no-one is buying at those prices. Thats part of the reason people end up modding their cars

They first try sell their Supra for $40K, then $30K then $20K then say "screw it.. lets make a 1000hp car" and off they go modding it.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
10000rpmlover
Regular User

like I said, I have seen the same ads for these cars for years, no way anyone in their right mind would buy them, there are cheaper muscle cars around and are possibly more reliable since most of the supras for sale have been twisted to no end and most are trailer queens

some FD3s cars are just silly also, one you can no longer enjoy driving the car, it is time to stop modifying it, case in point, who wants a bill for a new clutch every time they drive their 750bhp 3 rotor rx-7?

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
79TA
Regular User

ahh, this reminds me of the dumb arguments I used to have on the streetfire.net comment boards back when any random person could comment without registering. New Japanese cars aren't that cheap anymore and the same is true for the used market.

However, one can still get killer deals on Miatas and such, though I'm sure that's not what your nephew is looking for. 350Z prices have plunged in the last couple of months with all the excitement over the new Z. What sort of price range is he looking at?
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
PaulGT2164
Regular User

Supras, 300zx twin turbos, VR4 3000GTs, and RX-7 TTs are all considered to be future classics, something i don't disagree with. So prices are high

Miatas are still cheap and great fun tho
Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by PaulGT2164 View Post
Supras, 300zx twin turbos, VR4 3000GTs, and RX-7 TTs are all considered to be future classics, something i don't disagree with. So prices are high

Miatas are still cheap and great fun tho
Dodge Stealth RT is 95% VR4... and with relatively low miles can be had for 3-4,000
Old 05-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
10000rpmlover
Regular User

actualy we found a 300 ZX with a skyline GTR engine transplanted which we will go buy tomorrow, I am going to give my nephew the extra 1500 he needs for it, the car is going for 12,500 and he only has 11,000, we did stop by to see it today and we saw the car, the guy's wife was happy to show it to us, however the owner was not home so we could not get it, we spoke to him and he is off tomorrow and the car will be ours, heck it even has current registration (which I know it's illegal sue to the engine transplant) and since the guy does work at an inspection place, I also know the "passed inspection" sticker can only be faker than all the fake shit in the world LOL...

no matter this is one great find and my nephew deserves it since he worked his ass off all thru high school at a sprint cell phone store, this is the way things should always be, you save your pennies and buy what you want, not by getting loans and stuff

I am hoping nothing different happens between here and the next 8 hours, for if he does not buy it I friggin will

Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
heck it even has current registration (which I know it's illegal sue to the engine transplant) and since the guy does work at an inspection place, I also know the "passed inspection" sticker can only be faker than all the fake shit in the world LOL...
Illegal engine swap?

How so?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #12
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Illegal engine swap?
How so?

when I was hunting for a skyline a while back, I came across some statutes in the state of NY that say that certain engine swaps make the cars illegal to operate on public roads, then again this was from a supervisor guy at the DMV so I am still not that convinced but you know one can never be too careful... any kind of engine swap which requires cutting or modifying the engine bay for fitment, engine coming from donor car that is not legal to buy in the USA case in point, engines ranging from the 1998-99 SR20det, the mitsubishi 3.5L pajero v6, evo III, IV 4g63T engines (which there are quite a few DSM out here with, another thing I know to be illegal here is exhaust systems, at least is what I was told about my RX-7 when I bought the RE-Amemiya system, also anything made by Hayame is not even available for sale in NY or NJ

just another set of rules from the fucked state of NY, laws are not that different in jersey either but at least you can have more room to play around with

Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
10000rpmlover
Regular User

we got a call from the guy, he says he will be late at work so he will give us a call when he is around, seems he has title in hand and does not let his wife do anything, (which from the looks of her, I wouldn't trust the bitch either as she did flirt with my nephew)

Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
we got a call from the guy, he says he will be late at work so he will give us a call when he is around, seems he has title in hand and does not let his wife do anything, (which from the looks of her, I wouldn't trust the bitch either as she did flirt with my nephew)
LMAO

Good luck!

I expect some pics or STFU

... which skyline engine is in the 300zx? the 20, the 26?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
EvolutioniuM
Regular User

They can ask those prices all day long.. but no-one is buying at those prices. Thats part of the reason people end up modding their cars

They first try sell their Supra for $40K, then $30K then $20K then say "screw it.. lets make a 1000hp car" and off they go modding it.

very true.

I'm living in the middle east, if you're in the market for a stock or nearly stock Supra MKIV you're damned for ever!!

heck, there are more T67 single turbo Supras than stock ones
EvolutioniuM is offline   Reply With Quote