Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 08-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Haunted; Chuck Palahniuk

It was supposed to be a 3 month writer's retreat. It turned into a contest to see who could suffer more. What A-list celebrity would play their part in the movie.

A collection of stories, one from each of the writers which has been kidnapped and locked in an old abandoned theater. Sealed off from the outside world. The only light, coming from racks of 15 watt bulbs between the windows and the brick which covers them.

The heat, water, food...all sabotaged by them. To enhance their suffering.

This is the 3rd of Chuck's books i've read, and thus far, the sickest, funniest and most disturbing. But like a train wreck, i couldn't look away.

one of the stories contained in the book, a 9 page story about Saint Gut-Free, one of the writers locked in the theater, a story that originally was too much for Playboy to publish, was read by Chuck on a world tour. In all 73 people fainted during the story of why the character only has 6 inches of large intestine left. in many cases it took over 30 minutes to read the story.

The full on offensive taken on all 5 senses in this book, elevates Chuck to a level that makes Stephen King look like Dr. Suess.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

He's a good writer.

He's of Ukrainian-American heritage too
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
He's a good writer.

He's of Ukrainian-American heritage too
I thought he was Polish, but it's probably in that region that he hails from. Either way, he's got a knack for shock and awe.

3 of his books have been behind the scenes of hollywood for the last 3 years apparently. I'm posting a topic about it in a few seconds.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

you won't be disappointed

Old 08-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
racer_f50
Regular User

My girlfriend always raves about this book, saying it was disgusting but really awesome to read. One of her favorite parts is when they start resorting to cannibalism and eat that girl's ass while she was sleeping
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by racer_f50
My girlfriend always raves about this book, saying it was disgusting but really awesome to read. One of her favorite parts is when they start resorting to cannibalism and eat that girl's ass while she was sleeping
the funniest story is probably the one about reflexology. or the bowling ball story....

Just don't leave the book laying by the bed....the cover glows in the dark and will freak you out if you forget where you left it (i left it in the bathroom and in in the middle of the night wandered in and saw the face glowing back at me