Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 02-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
Anonymous

Default "The Top Gear Effect" :-)

Or perhaps more precisely the Jeremy effect, it seems Top Gear still has the power to make or break cars, i always knew they had influence but didn't think quite this much!

Originally Posted by MSN Cars
When the BBC’s ‘Top Gear’ first reviewed the DB9 last year, the company sold a year’s supply the very next day
taken from here the top ten facts about the DB9 which was there car of the year http://cars.msn.co.uk/caroftheyear20...05/Default.asp
Old 02-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
coloradosilver
Regular User

I think much of that credit goes to their "Real Life" testing of cars. Sure they show the car go around the track, but they also pound them in real life situations unlike many other car shows. God knows the car shows in the US suck to high hell when it comes to REALLY testing a car.

Top Gear seems to be the most thorough car testing show out there. Then, after putting the car through it's track paces and reality tests, they tell you if the car is any good or not. They tell it like it is, no sugar-coating.

If it sucks, they say "it sucks".

If it's a good car, they will say that too.

That is why the people put so much emphasis on what they say. They're credible and honest.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
antonioledesma
Regular User

the TG/JC effect can be perfectly understood when you see again the video... JC describes with so much enthusiasm, passion and sense the DB9, you really want one.

it's like when your g/f describes what she's gonna do next... and she says it in a way that you simply want to taste it.
or when a friend tells you about how great is something (bungee jump, skydiving, whatever), you wanted to do it, but now you have to
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
antonioledesma
Regular User

^^ for a regular car manufacturer, more than 100 cars per day, and with aston, I would say 10 by day. Of course I could be wrong
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
SilviaEvo
Regular User

^^shit that is a whole lotta Astons!!! i trust the TG teams judgement on cars for most of the time at least.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:43 AM   #6
Toronto
Regular User

didn't they "name" the new toyota truck too?
Old 02-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
Anonymous

Originally Posted by Ronin005
oh and one thing i forgot to ask, that years supply was it the UK's year supply?which im going to assume it was seeing as TopGear is viewed around the world. and seeing as the usa is getting 70% of the cars made.

oh and i guess i missed it but fact 10 answers the question about how many are made.
10. About 22,000 Aston Martins have been built in the company’s entire history, of which 18,500 or so are thought to be still on the road. By 2006 the company hopes to be making 6,000 cars in total every year.
I would term a years supply as the total production capacity for a year myself, but who knows, whatever the total its still an impressive stat for a days work , methinks the salesman had a good day
Old 02-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
manuf40

Originally Posted by coloradosilver

That is why the people put so much emphasis on what they say. They're credible and honest.

and of course they're also totally free from any form of personal bias or prejudice towards every manufacturer too
Old 02-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
oh and one thing i forgot to ask, that years supply was it the UK's year supply?which im going to assume it was seeing as TopGear is viewed around the world. and seeing as the usa is getting 70% of the cars made.

oh and i guess i missed it but fact 10 answers the question about how many are made.
10. About 22,000 Aston Martins have been built in the company’s entire history, of which 18,500 or so are thought to be still on the road. By 2006 the company hopes to be making 6,000 cars in total every year.
I would term a years supply as the total production capacity for a year myself, but who knows, whatever the total its still an impressive stat for a days work , methinks the salesman had a good day
I think aston produce 2000-3000 cars per year
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
Anonymous

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
Originally Posted by coloradosilver

and of course they're also totally free from any form of personal bias or prejudice towards every manufacturer too
No never.... Jeremy..... biased!! . But seriously even if its from a brand they have always slated, if they really make a good car they will say so, and the bias is all part of the fun IMO I really don't think any motoring journalist will be totally free from bias, like all of us their own and friends experiences contribute to our prejudices about certain brands.... if you have a car thats persistanly breaking down, chances are you'll have a negative opinion of the brand in future, even if its sub concious.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
DeMoN
Regular User

No need for jeremy to say anything, if I had the money, Id order one myself. Soley based on how the car looks!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:27 AM   #12
ikon2003
Regular User

w/ such a car crazed culture in britain, and such a (relatively) small place that glorifies jc to the point of national hero - it's no surprise to see this "effect" in england.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #13
DeMoN
Regular User

The car is an Aston, it looks great, it cant drive like crap.

I think the AMV8 will be a much better drive though.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:14 AM   #14
SafirXP
Regular User

so basically... right after TG's DB9 episode aired they sold a year's supply in one day??? so these people just see a tv show, get impressed and order one within a day? wow.... :shock:

obviously i would let TG's opinions matter when i'm buying myself a sportscar or something. but i think... in the end i'd be the best judge of the car i want!

TG had an effect on me personally though... whenever i talk about cars i end up quoting JC a lot of times.
SafirXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:15 AM   #15
Anonymous

was just looking at my email and was about to delete this one when i noticed it said AstonMartin in the subject.
well i was curious as to what they meant when they said a years supply, and well i emailed them. (i have done with so many time with other companies, and always get a response)
so i got a response today, but i had totally forgotten about it, anyways without further ado, just as i expected.

Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your recent email. As the Top Gear programme is broadcast in the UK only at the initial stage, this quote refers to orders received in the UK against our planned production of DB9 for the UK market.

Kind regards

Anita Brennan

Receptionist NP

(Customer Care)

so its initially not a big deal, seeing as 70% of sales or more comes from over the pond
LOL whatever, i'm sure the salesman were still pretty pleased with that days work,