Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-18-2003, 10:26 PM   #16
Anonymous

Originally Posted by scubywrxr
Good thing that just the wheel broke and nothing on u!!

I have had my share of crashes on bicycles.. its probably because I think that I can pull of the impossible, truth is I am pretty useless
Its so much fun though 8)
CAnt beat the feeling blasting down a 30 degree singletrack with a sheer cliff on one sid and trees on the other waiting to show u the other side..
Just imagaine that but in a Beautiful Tropical Rain Forest full of all the Jungle Birds Waterfalls and Fantastic Weather year round!! Thats Hawaii, if you like it cold we do that too, and high altitudes too even snow!
The hardest ride I ever did was up Haleakala on Maui called House of the Sun in Hawaiian unreal crater rim trail at the top 45miles of moonscape in a active volcanoe!
The Big Island has 2 Volcanoes 1 is the Tallest in the world at 14,XXXfeet the other is Mauna Kea where the biggest telescope on earth is I helped build some of the cradle and frame work several years back with P.E.T. Engineering. was a killer job working up there was slow and hard mainly because it was nearly impossible to catch your breath.

Riding down any of these spots is a once in a lifetime treat. I did it daily, caught a ride in the owners truck rode home 78 miles in just about 1 1/2 hours....if I went straight there on blacktop, way longer if I went off on my own down the slopes.... LOL hoping the bike stayed together and didnt *TACO* any wheels Like Badmihai!! hehe or worse....
What a Ride!!!! :shock: 70 -80 mph speeds for long streches were common, the temp at least let you wear decent protective gear, I wore full Motocross gear, pants jersy and enduro jacket made out of nylon pack cloth with paddind everywhere. helmet chest protector elbow gaurds knee/shin gaurds and road racing SiDi Itallian boots like Rossi uses. That was the best part of everyday!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #17
BADMIHAI
Regular User

WOW @ KH! That must be awesome!
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #18
scubywrxr
Regular User

I envy u KH.. however South Africa is just as beautiful a country. We have wonderful mountain ranges here. In cape town its amazing that in 15 minutes u can be on top of Table mountain from the city(thanks to speedy cable cars!). Its not the biggest but we proud of it. I have had some wonderful rides on it(on my bike, illegally coz u not supposed too - strangely never been on the cable car).

The Drakensburg mountains are on another level of awe though. Snow is visible on the tallest peaks throughout the year and wild life and flora are breathtakingly stunning. The reality that u are in the motherland gets quite apparent when u spot a baboon, springbok or leopard (Kittten killers beware coz our kittys are BEEEEG )whilst u pedalling along in jammies and a mtb shirt - ur only protection a giro helmet :shock:
These days if I go out on a long rural ride dont leave home without my HK, benchmade, surefire and my cellular. gotta be prepared for the unexpected!
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:43 PM   #19
Johns
Regular User

HOLY SHIT!! that tire got fucked I started to bike again after I busted my ass 2 years ago i fucked up my right arm....was speedin down a hill and I had to break FAST..i hit the front brake too hard and superman i went
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #20
troskap
Regular User

I imagine Hawaii and South Africa are marvelous places for vehicular scenic travel. But Washington DC is quite the awesome place in itself.

Marvel at our 12-14 lane highways, crossing wide expanses of terrain, ever so wide, yet still delicately colored by the tightly commingled mass of cars driving at arthritic-grandmother-with-bad-hip-limping-by-with-the-aid-of-walker speeds. Admire the beauty of the rolling mounds of the tops of SUVs blotting out whole views of the hazy sun as they weave and mingle in traffic ever so intimately, close enough for you to actually punch at a side panel as they blast by. Watch as the tides of traffic ebb to and fro, with the sparkle of red-light cameras flashing madly with each car busting through the overly shortened yellow light. Admire the plentiful metal sculpture and artwork laid out so lovingly by the local Department of Transportation as you creep by construction sites, with such evocative themes as "Detour" and "Slow Down - Construction Ahead" being flashed up on lit signs....

KH, Scubywrxr, consider yourselves envied by at least one person in this world. OK, maybe not with the need to necessarily arm up like Scubywrxr does. But still envied

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
40th Anniversary Daytona 500 Pace Car Replica
#812/1500
troskap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #21
Anonymous

Ya we had a shitty winter too..... big drop in the number of strings prancin about due to only about 99% sunshine I hate weather like that....
Old 06-21-2003, 08:03 PM   #22
Anonymous

Originally Posted by scubywrxr
I envy u KH.. however South Africa is just as beautiful a country. We have wonderful mountain ranges here. In cape town its amazing that in 15 minutes u can be on top of Table mountain from the city(thanks to speedy cable cars!). Its not the biggest but we proud of it. I have had some wonderful rides on it(on my bike, illegally coz u not supposed too - strangely never been on the cable car).

The Drakensburg mountains are on another level of awe though. Snow is visible on the tallest peaks throughout the year and wild life and flora are breathtakingly stunning. The reality that u are in the motherland gets quite apparent when u spot a baboon, springbok or leopard (Kittten killers beware coz our kittys are BEEEEG )whilst u pedalling along in jammies and a mtb shirt - ur only protection a giro helmet :shock:
These days if I go out on a long rural ride dont leave home without my HK, benchmade, surefire and my cellular. gotta be prepared for the unexpected!

LOL, Ive more than once had my AK with me on bike rides... a much more effective "tool" against unruly natives and Wild Bore... Just the noise it makes scares the crap outta me!!!! Imagaine how the natives fear it!!! Pretty slow ROF but a .308 is a long ass shell to cycle LOL pretty hard to hang onto, fire full auto and ride at the same time too LOLOLOL
Old 06-22-2003, 10:04 AM   #23
scubywrxr
Regular User

lol at KH.. people are so helpful here in SA. when they see u sweating up a steep hill they offer to ride ur bike for u so that u can walk up easily

Therefore one has to make them think twice about their generosity coz I dont like "helping hands"

uh how can post a pic? [/img]
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote