Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
-Akshay-
Regular User

Default No More Fun on the Autobahn?

You could almost hear the brakes being slammed on across Germany. If there is anything Germans love more than their luxury cars, it's driving those cars fast. So the proposal by one of Germany's governing parties to introduce a speed limit on Germany's famous , the only highways in the developed world (outside the Isle of Man) that don't restrict speed, is meeting with serious resistance. Under the proposal, approved by the Social Democratic Party (SPD) at a convention this weekend, Germans would be required to keep to within a 130 kph (about 80 mph) on the regional highways in order to save the planet — "a fast and unbureaucratic path to climate protection," according to a statement from the party.
The party elders reasoned that driving slower uses less gas and therefore contributes less CO2 to the atmosphere. But many Germans are not impressed. The idea of a speed limit left Franz Joseph Wagner, a columnist in the daily Bild, a mass circulation paper, frankly fuming. After musing in German fashion on the virtues of automobiles generally as "the horses of modern times, "the best horse that ever was," the commentator wrote: "Leave me my car that I can fly in."

In order to become law the proposal requires the approval of the Bundestag, or Parliament, and the conservative Christian Democratic Party (CDU), which governs in coalition with the SPD, are opposed. Angela Merkel, the otherwise environment-friendly German Chancellor and a member of the CDU, said that no such change would take place on her watch. She said that Germany would be better off improving traffic circulation in order to reduce the amount of time cars spent in traffic jams. Other parliamentarians said Germany should push technical fixes such as more fuel efficient cars.
http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...677432,00.html
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
sentra_dude

Fuck that shit, I hope that doesn't pass...

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
blinkmeat
Regular User

Social Democratic Party ???

Um Hitler was wrong then and this is wrong now
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Pokiou
Regular User

lol ^^^
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Mattk
Regular User

Uh, Hitler's Nazi Party thrashed the pants off the SPD. The SPD were centre-left and socially moderate. The Nazis were authoritarian centre-right.

The reasoning behind this is silly. Driving cars a little slower isn't going to save the environment. If the SPD wanted to improve road safety, fair enough, but they don't.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
Pokiou
Regular User

well see the way i see it is .. the faster you get there the less time your car is on the road.. the less exhausts coming out.

the long your on the road and the slower your going the longer your engine runs meaning MORE exhausts more carbon more damage to earth...

SO FLOOR IT!!!!!
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
blinkmeat
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
Uh, Hitler's Nazi Party thrashed the pants off the SPD. The SPD were centre-left and socially moderate. The Nazis were authoritarian centre-right.

The reasoning behind this is silly. Driving cars a little slower isn't going to save the environment. If the SPD wanted to improve road safety, fair enough, but they don't.

so maybe i stretched things a little
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Skaala
Regular User

I will gladly drive down to germany and join the riots which will start if this law is put tu use :fuck:
Old 10-31-2007, 01:15 AM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

check my title for my thought on this

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou
well see the way i see it is .. the faster you get there the less time your car is on the road.. the less exhausts coming out.

the long your on the road and the slower your going the longer your engine runs meaning MORE exhausts more carbon more damage to earth...

SO FLOOR IT!!!!!
I like that train of thought. If only it were true. Stupid wind resistance.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
Mattk
Regular User

^Yeah, it's a good argument, but it's just not true. By going fast, you burn more fuel, thus you emit more carbon monoxide. But the difference is pretty negligible. Cars these days are cleaner than ever, what with unleaded fuel and good exhaust systems.

At least in Australia, people want to cut down speed only because of safety, but when there's a suggestion that speed limits in small residential streets are lowered to 30km/h, it gets a bit ridiculous.