Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #46
graywolf624
Regular User

Even an LS2 would be fine with me.. but honestly, I do not want to do any engine swapping anytime soon.
You can do a complete ls1 swap for about 2500.. Theres even a company that sells a almost bolt in kit.
The major benefit to the third gen is every part from a 4th gen is swapable, either directly or with a minor modification. While the 4th gen parts arent the greatest, in a car weighing 200-300 lbs less using the 4th gens lighter engine, etc. makes the lighter car faster.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #47
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Complete LS1 swap for 2500? I'm assuming that's with me doing all the work? I'd have to rent all the tools to do it as I am not a mechanic with an available garage. But I will have about a month free to work on it in my parent's driveway. Bolt on engine swap sounds like a very nice idea.

Not to sure if NY State requires the EGR valve for emissions, but I'm assuming they do.

Still trying to decide if I should get a MA license and register it here in Boston or register it in NY like my current car.

The kid selling the hooked up 325e called me up last night asking what I thought about the drive.. told him it was alright but was asking too much.

As of now I am really leaning towards finding a 3rd gen F body in good condition. It's a damn shame so many of them are flashy colors with stripes
Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #48
graywolf624
Regular User

Complete LS1 swap for 2500? I'm assuming that's with me doing all the work? I'd have to rent all the tools to do it as I am not a mechanic with an available garage
Definitly a do it yourself job. You'd get raped on labor.

Not the difficult if you have the time and someone to help you.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #49
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Man that's great.. Now I won't feel bad if I get a junker and beat on it like it owes me money.

I need to start finding a place I can store the extra car. If I register it in Mass I can get residential parking, but I'd have to apply for a MA license as well. It will be easier to register it in NY but I'd have to get the car down there with no plates.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #50
wasaabi92
Regular User

My twin gotta steal on an absolute minter of a car. He bought an '87 325 5-speed for a mere $1900. And, yes, that's a base 325, no e or i suffix. It's still great fun to beat around in.

I'd hafta recommend the german brands because they were built right back in the 80s. I'm sure a V8 'stang or camaro would be fun to tool around in, too.
wasaabi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #51
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

So far I've been in a 87 325e and a 86 Camaro 305. Both were solid cars and drove great. If anything the Camaro felt a little more solid even if it had a few bumps on the hood.

Surprisingly there are a good amount of fun cars to be had for $2000. I hope to get a car and insure it for at least 6 months (with no coverage ) for $3000.

Edit: Just E-mailed the guy who's selling the 86 Camaro I tested yesturday and made an offer. If he allows me to borrow his dealer plates for the day I could pick it up this Saturday and drive it down to NY, then take the bus back up to Boston. It's a big favor to ask, so we'll see what he says.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #52
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Didn't get the dealer plates.

Search goes on...

Other possibilities, FC RX-7 Turbo II 10th Anniversary.. If I can convince my friend to accept my proposed payment plan
Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #53
graywolf624
Regular User

I donno about an rx7. Depends on the mileage.. Good car, but high mileage turbos can be difficult. Especially the ones on the RX-7 (from what Ive read).
Old 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #54
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Thing about the RX-7 is the wankel. They drink oil like no other and seem to blow their seals easily and often.

The one I'm looking at has 66k miles on the clock and is owned by a good friend from High School. It's in great condition. I know he wants $6k for it, so it's highly doubtful I will be able to get it from him.

Still keeping my eyes (and ears) open for a nice V8 3rd gen.. but this is turning out to be harder than I thought...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #55
graywolf624
Regular User

Has to be your location.. I could find you a third gen here in your price range in about a week. Probably about 10 of them.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #56
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Yeah, New England probably isn't the best place for a muscle car, and it's definitely showing now.

Are you still in Delaware? A trip down there would be worth it for a good deal on a third gen I would be able to drive back up to NY.

Taking a look at a 1992 E36 325i 5-speed 4 door with M3 suspension tomorrow. Asking for a little over than what I want to pay but if I really like it we'll see how much I can talk him down. I'm really just going for the test drive as the 4 doors already turns me off.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #57
graywolf624
Regular User

I am at the moment, though Im working on relocating in the next month or two (job offers permitting).
Ill see what a search nearby shows up.
Make sure to check thirdgen.org and cars.com. Also try ebaymotors for local cars.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #58
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Good luck with the job hunting.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #59
graywolf624
Regular User

Theres a nice 85 camaro in Maryland according to cars.com and 2 trans ams (Im ignoring the autos at this point) .

There also appears to be about 8 in pa on thirdgen.org. Im not sure about ebaymotors.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #60
graywolf624
Regular User

1 camaro on ebay motors, at least 5 or 6 tas... plus theres the unlisted 305 by the house I grew up in.. (was there last week when I drove by.) So they are everywhere here. Id try cars.com in your area and ebay motors and thirdgen.org first.