Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Bike Chat

Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Default A Good, cheap, fun starter motorcycle?

I need some help.

I've been wanting a motorcycle since highschool, and now that gas prices are headed into the $3-4 dollar range this upcoming summer I think now is the perfect time to buy one.

The only way I can afford a motorcycle is if it is an older japanese bike. My price range is about $1,000.

I'm searching ebay and craigslist for japanese bikes from 1980-1997. I'm leaning towards a sport bike (crotch rocket) or a nice compromise between sport and comfort. I do plan on making 200mile trips from Boston to NY.

Any suggestions of what bikes to look for and which ones to stay away from?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

200 mile trips are on your agenda?

Then first be sure you are a motorcyclist at heart.

Very long distance commutes (not fun runs in the woods, but commutes with some bags/luggage/backpack) are only fun and enjoyable if you have a touring bike, or can travel with no luggage/backpack and only yout wallet.

Long distances without a fairing (and the fairing on a crothrocket is no good for super long distances) became very unenjoyable very quickly.

Long distance trips with the possibility of rain etc are messy wet cold unpleasant affairs most of the time.

Bikes can be a lot of fun, but the mystique and romance disappear very qucikly when you have to get on the bike to make a cold 200 mile trip back to uni on a Sunday afternoon/evening as the storm clouds gather on the horizon.

Been there - done that.

This is why I say make sure motorcycling is in your blood and is your thing - if this turns out ot be true, then you will have a ball, and feel sorry for all the cagers locked in their steel boxes with 4 wheels as you enjoy the freedom that is motorcycling.

Now back to your quesiton about a starter bike - there probably is not a sensible starter bike that will turn out to be a great comfy long distance tourer that you can use for you long distance commute as well.

An SV650 is probably the best starter bike - quick, great handler, cheap to run, repair and service.

Adding a fairing to the SV may help, who knows.

An excellent all rounder that is cheap and relaible and probably a good 2nd or 3rd bike would be a Yamaha FJ1100/1200.

Excellent sport tourer (more tourer than sport bike these days) but there are many great condition used ones out there. It's power, quick and low saddle hegight combine to make a great bike that is not intimidatingly fast but will eat up the miles and prove to be a very enjoyable long distance bike.

At least, if I was startign out with bikes again - that's the path I would follow..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

Don't buy the bike just for fuel reasons. I am sure the costs of insurance will more than overcome the fuel savings over a car.

Back when I lived in an apartment, I remember reading notices of a bike being stolen from the underground garage about once or twice a year. Part of the reason for high insurance costs (the other being greater likelihood of accidents)

On the other hand if you want to have fun, fulfill a dream then go for it man!

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Well, the type of bike and age of bike will greatly influence the insurance cost. And with a couple $1000 bike you may only want liability insuarnce any way.

I know you had you eye on that Blackbird this weekend old friend.. - I saw you eyeing the fine lines and were very envious (as was I) of the bikes ability to simply go on demand - almost like the Starship Enterprise... just dial in the Warp Speed you want, and twist the wrist... ;P
Old 04-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Well, the type of bike and age of bike will greatly influence the insurance cost. And with a couple $1000 bike you may only want liability insuarnce any way.

I know you had you eye on that Blackbird this weekend old friend.. - I saw you eyeing the fine lines and were very envious (as was I) of the bikes ability to simply go on demand - almost like the Starship Enterprise... just dial in the Warp Speed you want, and twist the wrist... ;P
I like the look of many bikes .. my favorite is an MV Agusta and that Ducati replica of Mike Hailwood's race bike of the 70s but I will never buy a bike.

I basically have zero driving experience in a bike and no guts for it. I drove a gearless scooter for couple years but no bike. My younger brother is the bike man - I am sure he will want to buy a Monster when he can afford it.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
TransAm
Regular User

To be honest I think you might struggle to find a roadworthy bike for $1000!

I'd check craigslist & ebay if I was searching as everything in Autotrader will be $1500-$2000 and up.

You might have to 'take what you can get' for that sort of budget, basically I'd take anything that looks like it's been well-looked after.

I think you are in the realms of late 80s bikes, and of course something from the south of the country can be in perfect condition after 20 years due to no rain to rust it.

Maybe check out a Yamaha Radian 600 - a nice bike, and looks pretty sharp too IMHO. It's kind of in between a cruiser and a naked and the styling has aged very well (again, JMHO)

Ebay is your friend

Edit: At age 21 all you will be able to afford is liability insurance, but the type of bike will have a massive impact.

As an example, last year I paid $200 a year full coverage as a new rider aged 30 on a DR650 worth $5k.

Then I got a sportbike (ZX7R) and my premium shot up to $1500 a year for full coverage.

Liability only insurance on either bike was within $40 of each other - $90 a year for me on the DR650, and $130 a year on the ZX7R.

I think liability only on an R1 was $150 for me!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Motorcycle insurance vs. auto is usually a lot cheaper right? That's what I've been hearing..

Honestly, I have a pretty bad driving record with suspensions from speeding tickets. I'm most likley going to take a 2-3 motorcycle course where the last day I would get my license. That class would also lower my insurance.

Any insurance suggestions? Who to go to and with which bike other than displacement size would be cheaper to insure?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Motorcycle insurance vs. auto is usually a lot cheaper right? That's what I've been hearing..
Only for liability only (and no medical) cover

Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

As T/A says ... motorcycle insurance for certain classes of bikes for certain classes of riders (and you sound like you're in the worst class.. ) are set to deter people - do not be shocked to see insurance on a brand new super-bike be as high as $300 a month or more...

This is why we suggest something cheap/slow enough to not be hit with high premiums... oh anhd just be sure whom ever's medical insurance you are on does not have a "motorcycle injury" exclusion.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Honestly, I didn't really think of medical insurance. I'm still under my parents since I'm still in school. Not to sure if my coverage excludes motorcycle injury, but I don't think I'll find out. My parent's wont exactly be encouraging me to get a motorcycle.

So what other suggestions do you guys have besides an SV650 and Radian 600? I would also only insure the bike for half of the year. Living in the Northeast you onlyu have about 5-6 months to ride your bike..
Old 04-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

What about something like this?

"1992 XJ 600 in Excellent Condition ,New tires,New Chain & Sprockets "
Old 04-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
TransAm
Regular User

A radian is a restyled XJ600 - same motor

Go for it!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #13
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Restyled huh? they should kept the original Radian styling, that bike just looks so cool and bad ass compared to the "Seca II", the owner wants $1900 for it.

I would pick it up this weekend but I dont know how to ride so getting it back to my place would be kinda hard.. and I dont have a truck or trailer.

So I feeel like delaying the purchase would be best so that I could atleast get my permit..

But god damn a big part of me just wants to buy it and try to ride it home today!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
blinkmeat
Regular User

give it some serious thought before you say no man
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Dude, I totally would drive around the city in that.. It's just the trucks on I-95 that will scare me..