Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default 2010 BMW Z4 leaked

The new Z4 is much larger than the current one, and like the SLK, it has a retractable hardtop (). The design echos the new BMW design language previewed by the Concept CS, which I like a lot. Therefore it has one of those extra wide kidney grilles which apparently remind people of the sharknose BMWs of old. The Concept CS's nose was very prominent, but since this is a production car, it's less so. The interior also follows the Concept CS's themes. It looks like they're shooting for higher spec SLKs than the last one.

On a side note, the words EfficientDynamics note BMW's implementation of new fuel saving measures that will be across the entire BMW range. Largely, it turns off the engine when the car's stopped, and features regenerative braking that feeds the batteries.

More.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2008/12/13/20...ficial-photos/

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 12-13-2008 at 04:59 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

the retractable hardtop looks horrid! it's too big... styling from the front looks "nice" IMO... Sadly, I see it's large size as an effort to make the tall noses (pedestrian safety) effectively hidden. I suppose that is the best way of handling the situation when the gov. controls so much... a stylist's job is that much harder. That said, this was "well done" considering.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Juho
Regular User

The front and inside look good, the rest is BLAH!
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Official press pictures here. With the Z4 in the most dreadful color imaginable: metallic beige.

http://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2010-z4/
Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
silentm
Regular User

you mean baby vomit

the front end is really ugly imo (it looks stupid O.o ), but the rest is quite agreeable. but the interior is just a mess imo... don't like it at all
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
the retractable hardtop looks horrid! it's too big... styling from the front looks "nice" IMO... Sadly, I see it's large size as an effort to make the tall noses (pedestrian safety) effectively hidden. I suppose that is the best way of handling the situation when the gov. controls so much... a stylist's job is that much harder. That said, this was "well done" considering.
Agreed, styling wise it does look more aggressive, but the I agree with you that w/ the hardtop it looks too big.

I am still kind of split on the bigger nose. Not sure if I like it yet or not.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
torrentjunkie
Regular User

definite improvement on the old z4. now its an ANGRY rhino.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
10000rpmlover
Regular User

I was liking it, until I got to the interior, WTF is up with that shifter? I don't see paddle shift so that mitsubishiesque horrid plastic stick in the center is the gear lever?

someone line them up and slap all of the engineers, then slap them again

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover View Post
I was liking it, until I got to the interior, WTF is up with that shifter? I don't see paddle shift so that mitsubishiesque horrid plastic stick in the center is the gear lever?

someone line them up and slap all of the engineers, then slap them again
BMW's transmission interfaces are novelties gone too far.

At least it's not as silly as Porsche's PDK, with the shift buttons actually on the steering wheel for thumbs.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 12-14-2008 at 08:23 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote