Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > 5th Gear Discussion > Episode Discussion

Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
martin100
Regular User

Default 5th Gear - S12 EP1 - 3rd September, 2007 - Discussion

Returning to Five for its 12th series, Fifth Gear promises more facts and essential information than ever before about the most important new cars, along with the usual mix of stunts and challenges that push cars and presenters to their limits. With the presenters desperate to top their action-packed exploits last time around, this series promises to be the most thrilling yet.

Tiff Needell kicks off the series in style with the fastest car in the world – the Bugatti Veyron. As well as a breathtaking road test on public streets, Tiff takes the Veyron to a circuit for the first ever televised track test of this £890,000 beast.

Elsewhere, Jonny Smith tests a potential revolution in city transport – the Mitsubishi i. Ten inches shorter than a Mini, yet able to seat four adults in comfort, the car is a massive hit in the congested streets of Japan.

One man who may need a slightly larger vehicle, however, is England rugby star and ‘Dancing on Ice’ supremo Kyran Bracken. Kyran will be joining the Fifth Gear team to take some circuit-driving tuition from Jason Plato, before being let loose in an open-wheeled racing car that will accelerate from 0-62mph in just 2.9 seconds! It is the toughest challenge ever set to a Fifth Gear guest, and will illustrate just how difficult it is to be a racing driver.

Also in the series opener, Tom Ford tests the sexy new Maserati GranTurismo coupe on the stunning roads of Italy; while Vicki Butler-Henderson finds out which car is the quicker – the brand new Audi S5 or the BMW 335i.
The Veyron feature sounds much better than i hoped :shock: Including a tracktest!
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
yg60m
Regular User

Veyron + GranTurismo + S5 should equal to a great episode !! Can't wait for this even if it also means that holidays will be finished
Old 08-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
coloradosilver
Regular User

In 5th gear history, the most hyped and best sounding episodes tend to be the most disappointing.

They never take the time to do a really thurough review and the most exciting car features tend to be a let down when the segment only lasts 4 minutes. They may get the point across, but the excitement and fun in the feature just aren't there to the extent you might find on Top Gear.

I am looking forward to see the S5 and 335i go at it, but I think the A5 would be a more direct comparo.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. If we don't have high expectations to begin with, it's harder to be let down.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
martin100
Regular User

^ Yes thats right but i still hope the Veyron feature will be an exception
Old 08-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by martin100
^ Yes thats right but i still hope the Veyron feature will be an exception
I really hope so too.

But this is my issue with 5th gear testing the Veyron: This is one of the most crazy cars every built. It's one of the most expensive, fastest, well made, and probably most frightening to drive if you're pushing it.

There is so much to cover if this is to be a proper test that is at the same time exciting to watch. I just don't think 5th gear can get it done effectively.

Especially when Top Gear tested this car way back in December of 2005. This is still one of the if not the best review of this car to date.

Not only is 5th gear nearly 2 years behind, but their review won't compare to the feature on Top Gear in quality, length, or excitement.

Tiff is great and I can't wait to see the Veyron on the track and hear what he has to say, but the last few seasons of 5th gear really cast a shadow of doubt on what we can expect in the future.

That being said, like you, I really hope they've made some changes and this review will be awesome. Just not holding my breath.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
martin100
Regular User

^ Yes he will surely bring up this comparison and say that the Macca is more exciting to drive...
Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
vexor
Regular User

hey, I thought getting the previews up was my job

o well, i'm on vacation right now so no time, thanks for the infos martin

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
martin100
Regular User

^ Is this official that you bring up the previews? If so i´m sorry I just saw the info somewhere else and put it up here.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #9
vexor
Regular User

^^ no it isn't i'm just mocking, no big deal

Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
vexor
Regular User

found some new infos on the veyron test, martin feel free to post it on the first post to make it easier for ppl to read it

Tiff Needell kicks off the series in style with an examination of the fastest car in the world – the Bugatti Veyron. As well as a breathtaking road test on public streets, Tiff takes the Veyron to a circuit for the first ever televised track test of this £890,000 beast. We know it can do 253mph in a straight line, but how well does it handle? Tiff intends to reveal all. He also manages to steal a few moments inside the French château where the car is assembled. Walking amongst the vehicles under construction, he sees some of the weird and wonderful colour combinations ordered by wealthy customers; discovers why some people have decided to buy two Veyrons; and learns the secrets of the car that every owner should know...
so, it looks like it might actually be a longish review of the car after all.... surprisingly

Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
martin100
Regular User

Seems to become a VERY nice feature after all!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #12
dylan99
Regular User

I am really dying to see this episode!!! I hope it will be any good, let´s hope they have looked into Jabba...
Old 09-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #13
Svensson
Regular User

Now that was one awesome episode!! And those of you who were scared that the Veyron would get just 3 minutes of airtime needn't worry, because it was a whopping 15 minute feature
Old 09-04-2007, 04:43 AM   #14
gangajas
Regular User

The Veyron test was amazing, much better than any previous test of the car. Well, and the car was unbelievable good. An amazing work of engineering.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #15
Just_me
Regular User

what happen in the 335i vs S5 battle?