Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Lamborghini

Lamborghini Everything Lamborghini

Old 02-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #16
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

oooh, i wonder if it can tow a boat.........
Old 02-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #17
JoeHahn
Regular User

I think Audi should have developed the engine for maybe an Audi product like the new S8 or something of the likes before it goes into the Lamborghini. It isnt the end of the world, the torque will make this car as fast as the current Gallardo and Audi's diesel engines dont 'knock' like trucks. Should have been put in something else first I think.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #18
stradale
Regular User

I'm not religious, but this sort of crap almost has me on my knees praying to whichever god available to intervene. :cry:

I dislike diesels for the noise, the narrow powerband and the fact that it's completely useless from a performance point of view. A petrol engine with a similar displacement is always faster. It takes the fun out of driving in a bread and butter car, so why on earth would you want one in car specifically designed for the thrill of driving? What business does a diesel engine have in a sportscar then? That one of my favourite marques is contemplating such an agricultural power unit for one of its supercars is simply beyond belief for me.... :cry:
Old 02-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #19
GTO
Regular User

I think its great, anyone whos driven a diesel would know of the sheer torque even out of a small engine. Problem lies (as mentioned above) in the narrow torque band and desiging a sports gearbox to go with it but its not like turbo cars don't have a narrow band anyway.

Twin-scroll bi-turbo on a V10 diesel if tuned correctly with a new type of semi-automatic electronic gearbox (ie 12+ gears) would be intresting.

Rally cars are about sheer torque not overall power to pull through corners.

As for sound that can be tuned (exhast, engine design), my four banger sounds great IMO, whereare before they sounded shite.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:20 AM   #20
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
That one of my favourite marques is contemplating such an agricultural power unit for one of its supercars is simply beyond belief for me.... :cry:
Hey man, look at it this way, Ferrari is returning to its roots from a styling perspective, looking back to the "Sharknose" cars of the 50's and 60's and even to the 250LM for some cues. Maybe Lamborghini is just trying to return to its roots too, I mean, Ferruccio made tractors before he made cars hehehe.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #21
stradale
Regular User

LOL, I haven't looked at it that way yet. However, I doubt that Ferruccio would approve of this.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #22
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Lamborghini is supposed to be the Ultimate expression of a supercar. Looking through the classic supercars that Lamborghini has created over the past 40 years, how on earth can Audi destroy the legend and reputation that Lamborghini is famed for.

Cost of running and economy are clearly not at the forefront of the mind of a person who wants to buy a Lamborghini, and more importantly the noise of a V12 Diablo, or any Lamborghini for that matter, is quintessential to the whole experience and mystique of Lamborghini.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #23
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

If I wanted to buy a Diesel Lambo, id buy a Lambo Tractor.

Anyway I think that article is based on rumours. Its only afew lines long, no pics of the engine and not much going for it. It could be true, they could build a diesel version for production, but unless the price difference was over $50-100k less why would anyone bother buying one?
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #24
cooperluke
Regular User

Once oil runs out, there will be no diesel either.
More or less..
Haven't you seen that Top Gear episode where they put a Volvo running on burned vegetable oil with an aditive?

But still... I think that the supercars are so few compared with the others, that the fact of them being diesel, barely contributes to oil economy.

If you want a diesel supercar, I think that someone should force americans to build fuel eficient cars, that don't need massive engines to develop 150hp as they do!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #25
cooperluke
Regular User

my four banger sounds great IMO, whereare before they sounded shite
Your what???

I think the best (less worse, lol) sounding diesel is the BMW 330Cd, but it still can't be compared with a 330i !!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote