Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #121
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
....you get what i am saying
Actually it is quite hard to translate the "Car Culture" thing to folks where "the car" is not so important.

I think they just don't get it...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #122
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
A car from a marque like Ferrari or Porsche leaves the factory and it should not be touched
Then why do Porsche themselves offer upgrades such as the X50 pack?

Now tell me, why not just get a different car if your going to change half the stock parts anyway?
Because it's part of American car culture. Modding cars is abosultely nothing new. My grandfather used to tell me about his hotrodding days.

By blowing that Z06 all you do is just kill a fine sports car.
Not if you are willing to "re-balance" the car. Which I'm sure most people do. Don't forget, drag racing is huge business here.

Anyone hear about the guy in Germany sueing Ferrari because his 360CS isn't as fast as claimed?
D00de I have no problem modding a car, to a certain limit. The X50 pack is nothing extreme. 300extra bhp is.

Re-read my post, upgrade all you want, but why waist the money on blowing and rebalincing, why not simply buy a faster car?

I know the Hot Rodding culture, but correct me if Im wrong, but Hot Rodders werent really road course racers, they modded their cars so they can go fast as straight as possible, dont need much chassi work there. And no I have nothing against going straight, its just not my cup of tea.

We are talking about a sports car, which is supposed to turn, left and right. Saying it again. That Vette with 300extra bhp wont make any use of that power unless you tottaly redo the chasis, which brins me to the point, why not just get something faster?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #123
SFDMALEX
Regular User

you definitly dont need to spend 400,000 dollars to make your vette up to supercar levels. how does supercharging a vette throw the dynamics of the car out of wack. yes you need supporting mods but they are well within reasonable price. i am pretty sure a blown Z06 handles much like a stock one (just make sure to save up for some tires ) does and is just fine with an extra 150hp. and now it has the power to keep up with almost anything in the straights. plus some people are passionate about certain makes or models, so they want to make them the best they can be.

some people cant afford F430s, but still want to experience that level of performance and can afford a used 2002 z06 and a blower for it, so i dont see the problem with wanting to make your car faster.
You miss the point mate. No one is saying there is something wrong with making the car faster. Make it faster, but increasing the power will just make it faster going straight. If going straight is your thing. All power to you.

You have to understand that extra 300bhp of stress on the chassis is a lot. The car will never have the handling it had prior. Again, Im not talking a 100bhp upgrade here, Im talking about these overboard Vettes.

So you spend money on the engine, then you need to strip the car to reinforce the whole chassis. Im not sure, but to me that sounds like hell a lot of man hours. If you give up your Vette to a pro shop, to get it customized Im sure the money youll spend in the end just could have got you a faster car.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #124
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
....you get what i am saying
Actually it is quite hard to translate the "Car Culture" thing to folks where "the car" is not so important.

I think they just don't get it...
Care to explain your profound words of wisdom for us that are too dumb to understand?

"The car is not so important" wtf is that supposed to mean?

Seems like to you the car is not so important because you just want to kill it with yar mods, be unique and all that.......poser

Anyway RC why you talking? You drive a stock Vette.......were are the mods? Common, I thought "car culture" means so much to you.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #125
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Anyway RC why you talking? You drive a stock Vette.......were are the mods? Common, I thought "car culture" means so much to you.
I spend my money on other things

It is afterall, a free country
Old 07-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #126
666fast
Regular User

D00de I have no problem modding a car, to a certain limit. The X50 pack is nothing extreme. 300extra bhp is.

Re-read my post, upgrade all you want, but why waist the money on blowing and rebalincing, why not simply buy a faster car?
Because it's still extraordinarily cheaper. Why buy a 997 Carrera when a Z06 is faster for half the price?

I know the Hot Rodding culture, but correct me if Im wrong, but Hot Rodders werent really road course racers, they modded their cars so they can go fast as straight as possible, dont need much chassi work there. And no I have nothing against going straight, its just not my cup of tea.
Plenty of people built/modded cars for road racing. You also have to take into account the almost complete lack of road course venues at the time. Whereas, drag strips were everywhere and doing it on the street was largely ignored.

We are talking about a sports car, which is supposed to turn, left and right. Saying it again. That Vette with 300extra bhp wont make any use of that power unless you tottaly redo the chasis, which brins me to the point, why not just get something faster?
300bhp more than stock will make it a ton faster with or without chassis refinements. There is nothing wrong with the chassis on a Vette, minimal improvements can be made, but not without a huge cost. There are plenty of people driving 600rwhp Vettes with no chassis mods, it doesn't need it.

So why not get soemthing faster?

1. $$$$$$ You seem to be forgetting the fact that very few people have the ability to buy an F40. A whole lot of people can afford to run and modify a Vette.

2. Because you can buy something like a Corvette, modify it and run with just about anything out there, without going to town with chassis modifications.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #127
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\Well they make it out of magic if the chassis doesnt need any extra work with 800bhp....honestly man....how can that be? Sure it can run, I wanna see how well it will run Laguna Seca with 800bhp on no chassis mods.

The F40 is too old for this argument. An Enzo is more appropriate, and the Vette will never run as fast as the Enzo, espeicaly without any work on the chassis.

Anyway I hate to brake it to you, but if you really want fast and cheap, your Vette is a wrong car. You should look into the Japaniese scene, cause sadly, those 1000bhp Skylines and Supras are some of the fastest things around...although Id much rather have a modded Vette.

Anyway there is no point in aruing further. Read my posts, see my messege, not here to change people opinions.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #128
RC45
Regular User

/\/\/\Well they make it out of magic if the chassis doesnt need any extra work with 800bhp....honestly man....how can that be? Sure it can run, I wanna see how well it will run Laguna Seca with 800bhp on no chassis mods.
The C5 uses a hydroformed box-cross section steel h-frame chassis. When combined with the FRC Z06 body it is so rigid if you drive down over a speed bump or driveway curb the car will lift the 3rd wheel into the air - the chassi has no detectable flex at all.

500, 600, 700hp does nothing to flex anything.

Combine this with T1 sway bars and shocks and leafs or a coil-over shock setup to hanlde the higher corner speeds - put on sticky rubber and guess what youhave???

The C5R - thats right - the same rolling chassi

The F40 is too old for this argument. An Enzo is more appropriate, and the Vette will never run as fast as the Enzo, espeicaly without any work on the chassis.
Not really - the C5R would stomp the Enzo - point proven

Anyway I hate to brake it to you, but if you really want fast and cheap, your Vette is a wrong car. You should look into the Japaniese scene, cause sadly, those 1000bhp Skylines and Supras are some of the fastest things around...although Id much rather have a modded Vette.
Skylines, supras etc can't stop or turn worth a shit without extensive work - that is the nature of a unibody setup.

Anyway there is no point in aruing further. Read my posts, see my messege, not here to change people opinions.
No foul - this is just a fun excahnge in the Musclecarf forum - that's what we are all about - the car culture
Old 07-07-2005, 11:40 PM   #129
T-Bird
Regular User

OK the words Skyline and Cheap are rarely said together without are not inbetween them.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #130
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
The C5 uses a hydroformed box-cross section steel h-frame chassis. When combined with the FRC Z06 body it is so rigid if you drive down over a speed bump or driveway curb the car will lift the 3rd wheel into the air - the chassi has no detectable flex at all.

500, 600, 700hp does nothing to flex anything.

Combine this with T1 sway bars and shocks and leafs or a coil-over shock setup to hanlde the higher corner speeds - put on sticky rubber and guess what youhave???

The C5R - thats right - the same rolling chassi

Not really - the C5R would stomp the Enzo - point proven

Skylines, supras etc can't stop or turn worth a shit without extensive work - that is the nature of a unibody setup.

No foul - this is just a fun excahnge in the Musclecarf forum - that's what we are all about - the car culture
Fine have fun trying make something out of the Vette that its not or ever will be. :roll:

C5R? Sorry, but thats just fucking stupid. C5R? Prodrive 550. Point proven. You really cant argue man so you have to bring in bullshit like the C5R in. Now when did this turn into a race car argument?

yeah the skyline is not cheap here, neither is the Vette anywere else

Anyway, have fun, and mod your Vette till you just cant mod it no more. Im flatered with what you have to go through to """""BEAT A FERRARI"""""

Old 07-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #131
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Oh just one more thing.

If you really wanted the fastest thing around. You would waist your time with a Vette. youd built your self a Lotus 7/ Caterham based car.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:56 PM   #132
RC45
Regular User

No - you don't get it - the C5R uses the C5 chassis - it is THE SAME component.

In other words, to have a C5R on the street you simply add hp and 1 upgrade the shocks and springs, sticky tyres and you are far closer to the C5R than $200,000 worth of mods to a 550 will get you to a ProDrive 550.

That's the point - adding 300hp to a C5 Z06 just wakes it up - it doesn't "unbalance" it

Oh just one more thing.

If you really wanted the fastest thing around. You would waist your time with a Vette. youd built your self a Lotus 7/ Caterham based car.
Unlike the Vette, that uber-special Lotus 7 could never be a daily driver all-weather only car
Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 AM   #133
666fast
Regular User

That only further proves my point. Not many people can own an F40, even fewer can own an Enzo. Hmmm, $65k versus $1million+

I wonder how the TT Lingenfelter would do against the Enzo? 725bhp, 0-60mph in 3.2, 230+mph, thats one serious car.

Anyway, have fun, and mod your Vette till you just cant mod it no more. Im flatered with what you have to go through to """""BEAT A FERRARI"""""
You don't have to do anything to beat a Ferrari. A stock C5 Z06 has and will run quicker laps that many Ferrari's. Against an Enzo, no it wouldn't. But with the proper work, it surely could be done.

Hey RC, how much do C5R crate motors cost? $25k or so?
With the prices on C5's plummeting due to the C6, you could build yourself one hell of a car for less than $65k No wonder the C6 Z06 is considered a waste of money by so many people! LOL

Just checked Lingenfelter's website, $26.5k for the C5R engine. Thats 550bhp and 550ft lb torque.

Time to go back to school and get me one of them careers.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:18 AM   #134
RC45
Regular User

http://www.speedomotive.com/gm_ls_1_crate_engines.htm

C5R long block -

Pro-Series C5R 427 to 442 Aluminum
LONG block

C5R race block, billet main caps, fully machined, deck squared, torque plate honed, line honed mains, ARP main studs, Lunati forged 4.000-4.125 crank, Eagle forged rods, JE Custom pistons, Plasma moly rings, Clevite bearings, Fully balanced, blueprinted, and assembled. Stage-3 heads.

$19,995.00
No core charge
Yeah baabeeee !!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #135
T-Bird
Regular User

[quote="666fast"]

I wonder how the TT Lingenfelter would do against the Enzo? 725bhp, 0-60mph in 3.2, 230+mph, thats one serious car.
And that's a lower hp option than is available if you have the cash you can get upto 1000hp + warrantied from them.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote