Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: A New Name For "Jabbasworld"
www.themotormouth.net 0 0%
www.thecarzoo.net 0 0%
Yes I know its a pain but I really think we should stick to "Jabbasworld" 0 0%
428 100.00%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #121
ARMAN
Regular User

www.forkristsaikhowIcandownloadvids???.com

I like JW

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #122
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by Minacious
Sometimes, as much as we don't like it, change is necessary.
As much as I like "JabbasWorld" it does have the name Jabba in it, which will cause all types of problems if and when trying to go outside the interent realm.
I also like the "HorseNBull" name, but again, it could pose a problem if and when trying to expand beyond the interent. If anything else the "HorseNBull" name alienates other brands of cars.

A name that would somehow express the love that this community has for all exceptional cars has to be thought up. Even one that has a little tongue and cheek in it (thecarzoo) would be good. The name needs to roll off the tongue though. When you say it, it has to just feel right. A lot of these suggested name are cool in one way or another ,but none of them have just felt right. I'm sure one of us will come up with a name and it will just click. It will be hard though.

Coming up with a great name is almost as hard as finding the elusive G-Spot on a female during a one night stand. Though damn hard, it can be done.
Well - some of my fav night spots back home turned out to be places with names like the Pig 'n Whistle, Toad in the Hole, Hole in the Wall etc etc.

I am guessing the Brits (and imperialist ) may have more of an affinity with pub style names than the rest of the unwashed masses..

I guess the question is also what sort of future Jabba envisions for the site... does this include some dedictaed financial aims etc.

I used to be a very active member of http://www.rc51.net in the early days (being that there are only about 20 other RC45 owners ever sen online in the world at the time) so I hung with the RC51 crowd for a while.

Eventualy the RC51 lost its luster and the model aged and others bought it and the original RC51.Net founders aspired to capture a larger audience for profit - and created Motorush - of which the Rc51.net forum just became one of many other bike sub-forums.

Needless to say the forums never died when us oldies cringed at the format change - and newbies came and add dollars were spent and the site founders made some dough - but the core RC51.Net was never the same again.

This is just the price of progress.

Jabba - the question is really what do you plan on doing with your little patch of VirtualReality Estate? - A larger for-profit portal as an example?

What ever it turns out to be, I have no doubt you can pull it off.
The honest truth is the name change idea has absolutely 100 % nothing to do with money or a change in direction for the site whatsoever.

You are kinda something to do with it though RC....I remember you making a post about meeting a guy with a yellow 360...and telling him about JW.

I did feel kinda sorry for you as I have been in this position myself...where you want to tell everybody about JW but its hard to say the URL with a straight face or at least without further and more complicated explanation.

I just wanted a name to reflect the great community more we have here and perhaps is a little more down to earth.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:58 PM   #123
topgeartom
Regular User

i love the name JW. I think it signifies everything we feel for the place, without actually giving any ckue to the meaning of the site.

I never feel embarrased when i tell someone - everyone thinks im mad anyway
Old 10-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #124
nthfinity
Regular User

The honest truth is the name change idea has absolutely 100 % nothing to do with money or a change in direction for the site whatsoever.

You are kinda something to do with it though RC....I remember you making a post about meeting a guy with a yellow 360...and telling him about JW.
first, im quite glad to hear that, and didnt even think it something to concern myself with anyway.

second, i can speak of a few occasions that people didnt take me seriously when mentioning JW... fellow car enthusiasts and such. i guess only one person i told about this site stuck around for a while
this is where i would agree a name change would help in having more people we meet in sticking around here more so then the total number of registered users. i hope that makes some sence
Old 10-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #125
Anonymous

Originally Posted by Jabba@Home

I did feel kinda sorry for you as I have been in this position myself...where you want to tell everybody about JW but its hard to say the URL with a straight face or at least without further and more complicated explanation.

I just wanted a name to reflect the great community more we have here and perhaps is a little more down to earth.
Completely understand what your trying to do with this topic Jabba..... and while i'm not in favour of the change at the moment... if someone were to come up with a name that does better reflect our community I may change my mind...... For me though that hasn't happened yet though....... however i won't keep my mind closed to new suggestions
Old 10-26-2004, 07:05 PM   #126
RC45
Regular User

I didn't think so... at least hoped not...

To this I can relate and very much see and understand the value of short, sweet name.

But then again no matter what the name, it would need to be remembered and then referenced... so maybe the secret is just carrying JW business cards around..

I mean even if it were OurFavSpotInTheWorld.com, you'd still have to hope the silly sod remembered it... right?

The more I think about it, the more I like the Business Card idea...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:07 PM   #127
nthfinity
Regular User

definately... i think we could easily make a printable standard format
Old 10-26-2004, 07:09 PM   #128
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Originally Posted by Minacious
Sometimes, as much as we don't like it, change is necessary.
As much as I like "JabbasWorld" it does have the name Jabba in it, which will cause all types of problems if and when trying to go outside the interent realm.
I also like the "HorseNBull" name, but again, it could pose a problem if and when trying to expand beyond the interent. If anything else the "HorseNBull" name alienates other brands of cars.

A name that would somehow express the love that this community has for all exceptional cars has to be thought up. Even one that has a little tongue and cheek in it (thecarzoo) would be good. The name needs to roll off the tongue though. When you say it, it has to just feel right. A lot of these suggested name are cool in one way or another ,but none of them have just felt right. I'm sure one of us will come up with a name and it will just click. It will be hard though.

Coming up with a great name is almost as hard as finding the elusive G-Spot on a female during a one night stand. Though damn hard, it can be done.
Well - some of my fav night spots back home turned out to be places with names like the Pig 'n Whistle, Toad in the Hole, Hole in the Wall etc etc.

I am guessing the Brits (and imperialist ) may have more of an affinity with pub style names than the rest of the unwashed masses..

I guess the question is also what sort of future Jabba envisions for the site... does this include some dedictaed financial aims etc.

I used to be a very active member of http://www.rc51.net in the early days (being that there are only about 20 other RC45 owners ever sen online in the world at the time) so I hung with the RC51 crowd for a while.

Eventualy the RC51 lost its luster and the model aged and others bought it and the original RC51.Net founders aspired to capture a larger audience for profit - and created Motorush - of which the Rc51.net forum just became one of many other bike sub-forums.

Needless to say the forums never died when us oldies cringed at the format change - and newbies came and add dollars were spent and the site founders made some dough - but the core RC51.Net was never the same again.

This is just the price of progress.

Jabba - the question is really what do you plan on doing with your little patch of VirtualReality Estate? - A larger for-profit portal as an example?

What ever it turns out to be, I have no doubt you can pull it off.

one of the things i like about this site is the fact that there are no ad banners or pop-ups on the site. if Jabba were ever to allow them, i think JW (or whatever the name may be) will lose it's unique appeal as a forum and become another virtual billboard.

I don't think profit is what Jabba has in mind for the future of his forum, but i could be wrong. i hope that the name-change-for-merchandise-rights doesn't turn into an ego-boosting-power-trip-inducer, though i do think that Jabba has alot more integrity than that, just by the fact of the lack of ads as i mentioned above and the fact that i have never seen any request for funding assistance for the servers.
Granted i am sure that that is why Jab, wants to be able to make shirts and hats and such (keychains too perhaps?) is so that he can have a litle cushion when it comes to paying for his webspace. I have no objection to that and i would buy a hat or something if it meant helping ensure the future of the forum

But...on the other hand, if we could get Geroge Lucas to give us his blessing, the name could stay the same, after all Mr. Lucas is a car nut as well (just look at American Graffiti). Does anyone have his email address so we can send him the link ?
Of course, this all may not be an issue since we dont use an image of the Hutt anywhere on the site...but i'm no copyright lawyer so i don't know much about that sort of thing
The shop idea has been around for a while and is a non profit set-up to provide members with material that they had asked for to help identify themselves at car shows etc to other JW members.

In this case it wasn't really the main reason we were thinking about the name change. I have explained the main reason for the idea in my reply to RC45's post.

Can we please forget the idea of any shop being set up to make money from JW.....if it was about money I can assure you a $1 profit on a mouse mat would'nt even cover the cost of the amount of time it has taken me to make this post...
Old 10-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #129
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
second, i can speak of a few occasions that people didnt take me seriously when mentioning JW... fellow car enthusiasts and such. i guess only one person i told about this site stuck around for a while
this is where i would agree a name change would help in having more people we meet in sticking around here more so then the total number of registered users. i hope that makes some sence
This is 100 % what I am looking for...thanks for saying what I have been trying to.... all day long.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #130
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
This is 100 % what I am looking for...thanks for saying what I have been trying to.... all day long.
Sadly if ppl don't stick around it is not because of the name.. it's all about something called videos, I am sure of it.. and well, I am registered on a couple more messageboard myself but just check to find new pics and stuff.. no need to be ashamed... again, a simple name won't make ppl flee or stick around for that matter
Old 10-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #131
Jabba
Regular User

I didn't think so... at least hoped not...

To this I can relate and very much see and understand the value of short, sweet name.

But then again no matter what the name, it would need to be remembered and then referenced... so maybe the secret is just carrying JW business cards around..

I mean even if it were OurFavSpotInTheWorld.com, you'd still have to hope the silly sod remembered it... right?

Well at least you know I am very sensitive to such situations and am trying to improve this for such situations in the future.

I wouldn't carry a www.jabbasworld.com sticker on the back of my car and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either. I would carry www.therightname.com on there though with absolute pride.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #132
evoWalo
Regular User

jwforums.com
Old 10-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #133
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

www.racingfury.net

I like this one, its a bit exotic sounding and has a serious tone to it.

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #134
Jabba
Regular User

Well everyone will be pleased to know unless something amazing can be found everything will be staying just as it is.

I have decided to register www.theprancinghorse.net and will be doing something there instead with a link to JW.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #135
Anonymous

Well everyone will be pleased to know unless something amazing can be found everything will be staying just as it is.

I have decided to register www.theprancinghorse.net and will be doing something there with a link to JW.
Cool i don't think the discussion on changing the name can really go much further now without some new suggestions so lets just concentrate on that IMO you've explained your resaons for wanting the change really well, lets just wait and see what everyone comes up with