Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 10-25-2003, 07:59 PM   #196
st-anger
Regular User

no, as i said, this is only a guess from myself, no confirmed figures from Porsche, but with all the infos and talks iīm quite sure that it`ll be something like 20-25sec...
iīve made a note of the F1 figure, so it`s a confirmed, tested time and no guess unfortunately i canīt remember where i got it...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:15 PM   #197
HoboPie
Regular User

Is there info on the tire issue?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:15 AM   #198
Bilal786
Regular User

Thanks.
Bilal786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:11 AM   #199
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by HoboPie
what do you mean exactely???

iīve posted some infos on that topic in the "Porsche news" some time ago, but here`s what i know:
as youīve read in the report, the CGT is equipped with the special Michelins in the production version, BUT during testing at the nordschleife the Pirellis were 20sec+ faster per lap, and 20sec faster on the nordschleife is so damm fucking much, i simply couldnīt believe it, but Porsche technicians confirmed that. but the`d choosen the Michelins, because under semi-wet conditions the Pirellis were a bit tricky, with the Michelins the car was more driveable...
any questions left, just ask...!
Porsche 911
Old 10-26-2003, 08:12 AM   #200
st-anger
Regular User

997 Cabrio spy vid @ nordschleife

http://movies.autoexpress.co.uk/porche997.mov
Porsche 911
Old 10-26-2003, 08:44 AM   #201
TT
Regular User

Oh wow, thanks I always love spy vids
Old 10-26-2003, 12:50 PM   #202
HoboPie
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger

iīve posted some infos on that topic in the "Porsche news" some time ago, but here`s what i know:
as youīve read in the report, the CGT is equipped with the special Michelins in the production version, BUT during testing at the nordschleife the Pirellis were 20sec+ faster per lap, and 20sec faster on the nordschleife is so damm fucking much, i simply couldnīt believe it, but Porsche technicians confirmed that. but the`d choosen the Michelins, because under semi-wet conditions the Pirellis were a bit tricky, with the Michelins the car was more driveable...
Sorry, I just put tire issue because it was so close to my first post which addressed the actual question. Anyway in(absolutely amazing) review you mentioned the pirelli/michelin issue and I didn't know exactly what you meant.

I guess now that you were referring to the fact that the CGT was 20 seconds faster on the pirellis, but also about 20 seconds faster than the Enzo on Nordschleife in the semi-dry. My question is, is that compounded so the CGT is POTENTIALLY 40 seconds faster or are they about the same speed when the CGT uses Michelins?

Also I'm not sure if I missed this or if it is just unknown, but which tires did the CGT do the 7:3x with?

Thanks for any info you have or at least tolerating my complete ignorance.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:27 PM   #203
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger

Sorry, I just put tire issue because it was so close to my first post which addressed the actual question. Anyway in(absolutely amazing) review you mentioned the pirelli/michelin issue and I didn't know exactly what you meant.

I guess now that you were referring to the fact that the CGT was 20 seconds faster on the pirellis, but also about 20 seconds faster than the Enzo on Nordschleife in the semi-dry. My question is, is that compounded so the CGT is POTENTIALLY 40 seconds faster or are they about the same speed when the CGT uses Michelins?

Also I'm not sure if I missed this or if it is just unknown, but which tires did the CGT do the 7:3x with?

Thanks for any info you have or at least tolerating my complete ignorance.
it always makes me happy to share some infos, especially about Porsche, so really no problem...
so, the early Prototypes of the CGT were using Pirelli tyres. with that tyres, the car was 20sec faster than with the Michelins in the DRY!
but because of the better overall handling, Porsche decided to go for the Michelins, although with that tyres the car would be considerable slower...

the other ~20sec is another topic, the production version, equipped with the Michelins had been that 20sec faster than the Enzo under semi-dry conditions, so this has nothing to do with the Pirellis...

and during testing, WR clocked a 7:37 with the Michelins.
Porsche 911
Old 10-26-2003, 02:31 PM   #204
HoboPie
Regular User

Ok, I didn't originally think there was a connection, but in your review right after the info about the Enzo, you say something about the pirelli/michelin connection.

Maybe I just read it wrong.

So the Carrera GT COULD have been about 40 seconds faster than the Enzo on the ring if they had gone with the Pirellis? wow. And the Enzo is only getting mid 7:50s? Ouch.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:47 PM   #205
alondahan
Regular User

So the Carrera GT COULD have been about 40 seconds faster than the Enzo on the ring if they had gone with the Pirellis? wow. And the Enzo is only getting mid 7:50s? Ouch.
there's no way the cgt is 40 (or even 20) sec faster than the Enzo, and there's no way the Enzo laps in 7:50. a Jag XJ220 laps the ring in 7:46, and the Enzo (and the F50) is much faster than the Jag. also, I think the Enzo will be faster than the cgt in the ring (and everywhere else for that matter). the cgt maybe faster in wr's hands, but that's understandable. he knows the car like the back of his hand, and if he drives the Enzo, I'm sure he'll be much less motivated to put a fast lap.
alondahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 03:18 PM   #206
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by alondahan
there's no way the cgt is 40 (or even 20) sec faster than the Enzo, and there's no way the Enzo laps in 7:50. a Jag XJ220 laps the ring in 7:46, and the Enzo (and the F50) is much faster than the Jag. also, I think the Enzo will be faster than the cgt in the ring (and everywhere else for that matter). the cgt maybe faster in wr's hands, but that's understandable. he knows the car like the back of his hand, and if he drives the Enzo, I'm sure he'll be much less motivated to put a fast lap.
i think you missed the point: under semi-dry conditions!!!
iīve never said, that the Enzo is 20sec. slower in the dry, thisīd be impossible...
i still think the CGTīll be faster also in the dry, but maybe just some seconds, and in the dry 2 or 3 seconds a lap is VERY much!!!
about the WR thing, would be nice to see how`s Dario doing against Walter, but i don`t know how familiar Dario is with the nordschleife...
Porsche 911
Old 10-26-2003, 04:30 PM   #207
HoboPie
Regular User

Yeah, my first post in this thread was about the semi-dry conditions, but I had almost forgotten about that myself, but my prior post was more incredulity rather than statement.

And that is a good point about knowing the ring well. Dario may be good, but dealing with someone who is at least his equal in talent, but much more experienced would be impossible.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:59 PM   #208
scubywrxr
Regular User

dario would not have a chance against WR - WR knows the `ring like the back of his hand.. Dario laps a tiny Fiorano test circuit .. He may be faster than Micheal Schumacher in a 360 but he will be fooling himself if he thinks he can beat ring master WR...
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #209
st-anger
Regular User

sad but true for Dario...
Porsche 911
Old 10-28-2003, 04:59 PM   #210
1zippo1
Regular User

the early Prototypes of the CGT were using Pirelli tyres. with that tyres, the car was 20sec faster than with the Michelins in the DRY!
and during testing, WR clocked a 7:37 with the Michelins.
Now ok I know you were talking about the early prototypes so this 20 sec difference in the dry between the Michelins & Pirellis might be a bit smaller but should still make a significant difference

Might I conclude about this that 7:37-20sec = 7:17... (or is my reasoning wrong - I might be I know )

Oh and one other thing, If these two (Dario & WR) really would meet for a duel, it should be on a neutral track, like euhm Francochamps. That's a good track and I would be able to go and watch IMO I think these cars will be pretty close but if I look at the specs (I know that's not everything because they don't tell you all) my guess is that the Enzo will be slightly faster...
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote