Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-03-2004, 02:07 PM   #151
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
the point is who gives a flying fuck about hp/ltr?
Oh that's right Ricers!
If you know anything about what makes a car go it's called Torque and that seems to be something that the GT3 doesn't have, or many Porsches for that fact.
lol, so now i'm a ricer for quoting some hp/ltr?? I see your logic there

HP/litre is a good way of comparing engines.

Would you call EVO/autocar/car/top gear/F1 magazine/Race Tech/Racing car technology ricer magazines? I wouldn't. Do they all mention HP/litre in some/most of their reviews? Yes
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:13 PM   #152
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Originally Posted by TT
Nope, also Swiss ppl gives a crap about it too many cubic centimeters causes higher takes so a hypedout 500 cc engine boosting out those 400 hp would be ideal here
Yes, I know the GT3 doesn't go. The car laps the 'Ring in 7:54...but you're right, it doesn't go :roll:
Damn...

Talk about "Quick Draw"...

You just gunned TT down...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:22 PM   #153
TT
Regular User

Me? why? of course the 500 cc thing was a bit exaggerated Porsches (3.6 liters then) sells VERY well here but above that I guess you soon loose all the money you saved in buying a "cheap" corvette and that's why if you go for bigger displacement around here, you usually go for the infamous Prancing horse
Old 08-03-2004, 02:26 PM   #154
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by T-Bird
the point is who gives a flying fuck about hp/ltr?
Oh that's right Ricers!
If you know anything about what makes a car go it's called Torque and that seems to be something that the GT3 doesn't have, or many Porsches for that fact.
lol, so now i'm a ricer for quoting some hp/ltr?? I see your logic there

Would you call EVO/autocar/car/top gear/F1 magazine/Race Tech/Racing car technology ricer magazines? I wouldn't. Do they all mention HP/litre in some/most of their reviews? Yes
but they don't use it when it comes down to the better car, you can't call a car or engine better because it makes more power that's not all that makes an engine.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #155
DanielW
Regular User

No it is not. :roll:
Hp/L is just some arbitrary number that gets ricers all wet in their intimate places.

A good way to compare engines is.

-weight
-physical size
-fuel economy
-torque and power curves
-cost of development
-cost of maintenace
-reliability numbers

but I guess hp/l is more important

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wytrzyszc
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #156
jon_s
Regular User

You can't say an engine is better on any single factor. The Vette will never sell well in Europe, as we do not have the same passion for its history as you Yanks. If you want to talk about an American car that really can dent the pride of Europe then bring on the Saleen S7. That thing really can challenge the best cars around at every level.

You also have to remember that the European taste is quite refined. In a car costing 40k there should never be such a tacky plastic dash, I don't care how quick it is!

I have a lot of respect for the Vette, anyone saying it is a crap car needs their head examined! This argument between US and European ways of building a sports car will never die, as we solve the problem from completely different points of view.

Talking of fast American cars, the new GT40 is hardly economical in any sense! It is also a car I would consider purchasing (unlike the Vette) if I had the money, as it certainly seems to have a decent build quality.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:47 PM   #157
DanielW
Regular User

Yes you all are forgeting how cheap the corvette is. For the price difference between the C6, and the carrera, or a TT, or a 360, you can have live cows line your fucking dashboards and seats.

Seriously for 10k you can get a custom leather lined interior that will be custom tailored to you and will be of much higher quality than any mass produced crap.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wytrzyszc
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #158
RC45
Regular User

HP/l this you bunch 'o wankers...

14mb file Video Why some of us like REAL cars....

Old 08-03-2004, 04:16 PM   #159
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by DanielW

No it is not. :roll:
Hp/L is just some arbitrary number that gets ricers all wet in their intimate places.

A good way to compare engines is.

-weight
-physical size
-fuel economy
-torque and power curves
-cost of development
-cost of maintenace
-reliability numbers

but I guess hp/l is more important
Yes... its is, it comes down to the fundamental principle of any performance engine. The fact that the rate at which the fuel/air mixture is burnt is directly proportional to the power output. The more air you get in into an engine, the more likely you are to have a higher power output. The bigger the displacement, the more air you can physically get into the engine and the more likely you are to have a higher power output. So for instance, the GT3 produces 375bhp from a 3.6litre engine, and the vette 400 - 500bhp from a 6 litre engine. That means the porsche has a higher hp/litre figure and the engine is more efficient.

Sure this not the only engine statistic thats importan, but did i say it was? The factors you stated and many more besides come into it. But you cannot completely ignore hp/litre when comparing engines; ricer or formula 1 engineer: probably more important for the formula one engineer because all their competittors have the same sized engine.

To be honest, i haven't heard ricers use hp/l, maybe thats cos i don't take a great interest in them, maybe its an American thing? I only use it because i (along with a great deal of the car industry) think its relatively important

Originally Posted by RC45
but they don't use it when it comes down to the better car, you can't call a car or engine better because it makes more power that's not all that makes an engine.
Im not, the GT3 has less power than the vette....
Old 08-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #160
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Im not, the GT3 has less power than the vette....
I wouldn't have said that... I would simply have said "I can;t hear you over the rumble of my antiquated push-rod V8..."
Old 08-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #161
mindgam3
Regular User

and the sound of your plastic shaking off your dahsboard??
Old 08-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #162
T-Bird
Regular User

oh yeah because there isn't any plastic on the Porsche dash.

Atleast it isn't the sound of the crappy idle of the boxer engine.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #163
mindgam3
Regular User

Along with most of this post, its all down to personal prefference, well most of it anyway.

I've never thought poraches sound that good, they haven't got any personality.

Maybe thats the ONE thing that goes the vettes way over a Porsche

A TVR's tuscan/350C beats the vette anyday on sound tho.... along with most other things
Old 08-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #164
RC45
Regular User

A TVR's tuscan/350C beats the vette anyday on sound tho.... along with most other things
Thats true - including more time spent in the workshop, bad build quality and atrocious fit and finish.

Oh - and the fact that it's a Russian car now...
Old 08-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #165
T-Bird
Regular User

yeah accept handling but don't stray from the topic we aren't talking TVR here.