Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
coombsie66
Regular User

Default Soundcard Identification and Driver Required

Hi guys, im relatively computer literate, or i like to think i am, however i have just been caught out, our home computer was completely screwed so i just re-installed windows XP onto it, which has cleaned it up nicely, however the only version i could find was the one for my laptop, so no drivers etc included. I am now left with no sound from the computer and no way as far as i can see of identifying the card.
Ive tried all the ways mentioned with a simple google search, and now the computer seems to think it can play sound, as Itunes now plays songs, whereas it previously didnt, but im still getting no sound from the speakers! Which ARE plugged in b4 someone says it

Any help would be much appreciated, i was hoping for some diagnostics program or something that someone knows of?!!?

Cheers
Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Fleischmann
Regular User

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly But if you have DirectX installed then go to start -> run and type "dxdiag", press enter afterwards. Then choose 'sound' and you'll find your sound card info there. It's likelly to be a Creative model, if so then go o the official page ( www.creative.com ), where you can download drivers for older sound cards to work under XP. I hope I understood your problem and helped out at least slightly :p
Old 07-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
coombsie66
Regular User

^^ Thanks for the input, i found that out off a the web before i posted here, and tried it, my computer just come up with nothing under the sound tab after doing dxdiag?!?

It definately has a sound card though, as it was working before i fiddled about with the bloody system!! :x
Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
MotorWorld
Administrator

if its a pci sound card just take it out and see what it says on it, it should be possible to find a model number/serial or something that will supply the answer

if its built into the mobo just go to the mobo manufacturers support page and they should have the drivers
MotorWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
coombsie66
Regular User

^^ It is a build in jobbie, and there are loads of drivers on the manufacturers website! Still i'll just have to do trial and error when i get time,

Cheers