View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 06:08 PM   #25
topgeartom
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
you are in a dream world if you think a BMW 318i is a "race track ready car" in stock form.
When the hell did I say that, you sure you read my post?

I said a 3 series would walk over a american equivalent, i never ONCE mentioned anything about a bottom of the range 318 being a supercar on the track.

I'll give you credit on having one hell of a fu**ing imagination though.

I ain't just talking about pace with regards to the porsche V corvette example. When it comes to cornering comparison, the corvette would wallow all over the place, like a jelly on rollerskates. Like nearly all american cars do.

Like you say though, thats just because of the market they were designed for. In America, you go everywhere on highways, so naturally you need big, powerful and comfortable cars, that can swoosh it's way across states in days.

Whereas, in Europe, the whole place is smaller, and we have many more small twisty roads per square mile/km. So therefore we want better handling cars, and slightly less cruiser orientated models, as we have less long straight, roads.

It's a similar story with motorsport. I gather that drag racing is the biggest sport in the USA, but most other motorsports involve lots of power and few corners.
In europe, track sports are favoured more, with every man and his dog now taking their humble family run around to Thruxton and Silverstone, so naturally we want cars that can handle corners better.

It's a war between two sides. Some people want different things, it's just a matter of taste and needs. Thats all i'm saying.