View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

We have a car problems and modifications section.

But for starters, if it was a rod knock, he'd hear it under any load and it would be about twice as fast as the engine rpm. and it would be pretty heavy.

Ticking, is generally hydraulic lifters that have collapsed which is typical when the engine runs out of oil and can't fill the lifters.

I'm not too familiar with the shadow, but i think it's a cam in block engine, so it would have rocker arms that may need to be adjusted. If the ticking is about half the speed as engine rpm, check the valve lash if possible and adjust it.

There is a slight concern about your cylinder head though, depending on how long you ran it hot. 4 bangers REALLY don't like extra heat. If you want to check for a blown head gasket, take off the radiator cap and start the engine. If you get a large geyser of water out of the hole, then you have combustion pressure leaking into the cooling system. If your coolant or oil looks like a chocolate milkshake, then you have coolant leaking into the oil, or viceversa.

If your head gasket is blown, and you can't change it yourself, start looking around for used engines because it'll be cheaper to replace the engine than the head gasket. Fortunately the Shadow isn't a popular car, so there isn't a high demand for the engines and it should be pretty cheap.

Good luck!

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote