View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Anyway, I think he is wrong to call base model cars poser cars.
I guess the roots of my opinion were in the decades before I moved to the US... in a time when I used to view any sports car with an automatic as instantly a non-sprots car

A very European viewpoint you might say - well, thats the thing - I "judge" the car buyer based on the car bought.

So if someone buys a Camry, I say "good choice if you are on a bdget, need room, good mileage and want the car to go on and on for years, you needed a family commuter, so you bought a family commuter".

Now, if that same person buys a Camry Solera Automatic, i call them a POSER - as the car is PRETENDING to be a sportish car with the 2 doors and swoopy lines and stuff, bu tis just a 2 door verison of the 4 door commuter Camry.

I am of the opinion that the person who is buying the Camry Solera is doing so purely based on the "looks" and wants to be seen in what they percieve to be an image car.

Harsh or not, I have viewed automatic floatem boatem Corvettes as no different to the Camry Solera over the years - whether they be C3's C4's or C5's - and I took an instant dislike to the Corvette Coupe I tried in 1998 - so much so that I began to almost despise anyone who bought that wallary bloated bland lloking car if it had an automatic (I know the auto is good for drag racing, but thats not the point of a sprts car now is it? ).

I am not saying anyone who cant afford a new GT3 RS is a poser, but what I am saying is, is that if you relaly are an enthusiast and not a poser, then when you do go looking ofr, say a C5 Coupe that you can afford you would go out of your way to find a manual transmission car at least to be able to deliver on the "sports car" part of the equation.

So the same goes for my opinion of the person who buys a base Porsche with an automatic tranny - I say they are buying the "Porsche" name and bragging rights - in other words are "posng" - as if they relaly were an enthusiast, they would seek out a manual tranny car

Anyway, perhaps that better explains why I have a knee-jerk "poser" reaction to base model cars - the qualifier is the transmisison selection.

Anyone who buys an automatic BMW should have their license taken away and hence my opinion that all Benz drivers are ins ome manner just posing

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
That's pretty much like calling Micheal Jordan a poser because little kids wear his jersey. Dumb.
Now that is funny
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote