View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Pretty comprehensive list, thanks stepchild! The CGT did 7:28 :shock: I missed that...

Does anyone know off hand what the crazy fast all-time lap record is and what track configuration it was set on?

Originally Posted by nthfinity

Pierre (the bugatti rep i met with) told me no laps had any official timings... and the one or two laps that they were thinking of doing it; they had some catostrophic failure of some sort...
Opps!
yeah.... think exploding fluids

and the all time fast time?

1983 24 hours of NS Qualifying
Stefan Bellof 956 with high d/f configuration
6:11.13
he had the fast lap of the race @ 6:24.xx before crashing at Pflanzgarten

this was on the "shortened" 12.94 mile/20.8 km track.... the same as on GT4 basically...

" Bellof put the outright lap record out of reach with a staggering time of 6min 11.13 seconds which was an average speed of over 125mph and his time remains the benchmark for every aspiring Ringmeister to this day.

By comparison, Jochen Mass' best time was 6min 16.85 seconds. The other hot driver of the moment was Stefan Johansson in the Joest 956 and he lined up a third with a time of 6min 31.59 seconds. These are very big differences, even when taking into account the lenght of the old German course, and if nothing else, Bellof's time demonstrates his completely fearless approach to driving. The young German from Giessen, just north of Frankfurt, was making a sensational impression, and particularly so on Porsche management. ....

'he was so electrifyingly fast at the Nurburgring. The kid goes out there and every lap he is going 5 seconds quicker in the race. I'd done a stint and he'd done a stint. We were two or three minutes ahead of Jochen and Jacky, because they had a prooblem. We only had to cruise to win the bloody race and every time they put the board out it was a 6:29 or 6:24, you know. I went to Professor Bott and Peter Falk and I asked tehm why they didnt' just tell him to hold. And they just thought he was marvellous. I just said OK and then, the next lap, he didn't come round.'

any other questions?