View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: 'evo' reviews the Lingenfelter Corvette Z06

Besides, your life expectancy is probably severely reduced with a 600+bhp Corvette anyway; you’ll be lucky to be around long enough to hear it go pop…
Typical "media hyperbole" - why not say the same thing about other "over powered" cars.. :roll:

Few supercars offer such an enormous and sustained hit of raw acceleration.
Uhm - this is what the rest of us have been saying abotu a couple grand thrown at any V8 powered car.. this is truely nothing new - there are literally thousands of cars in this power range rolling around the streets in the US :roll:

Instead the front keeps pushing and then, when you’ve flexed your right ankle a millimetre too far, the car snaps sideways – this lack of equilibrium means you tend to need lots of small, accurate corrections.
Get used to it - this is how rear biased cars drive and are still plenty quick enough to lap at astonishing rates..

we visited WRC Technologies in Silverstone to put the Lingenfelter Z06 on the Dyno Dynamics rolling road. It showed a strong gain but couldn’t better 552bhp. Not bad, but we’d hoped the magic number might start with a ‘6’. David Yu is now in discussion with Lingenfelter to see if some of the horses drowned somewhere mid-Atlantic. Just imagine how fast it’ll be when it’s running the full 616bhp…
Well - thats because first off the owner and local shop are twits for thinking they would go from 450rwhp to 616rwhp with only headers and a cam..

The Lingenfelter claim is accurate - its 505bhp to 616bhp... the 557RWHP is just about right.

I can't believe these guys actually publish inaccuracies like this. You would swear they are all noobs.

Oh and also, the car they tested is NOT a Lingenfelter Z06 - it is a Z06 with Lingenfelter parts bolted on... VERY different - its the same as buying some RUF parts in a catalogue then claiming your Porsche was a RUF...

The devil is in the tuning guys... any yahoo can claim to know how to eek the last HP out of a motor, but very few actually can.

My LS6 went from 385bhp to 485bhp with only headers, cam and intake and TUNING by MTI in Houston. Thats the detail this magazine article and owner seem to miss - unless the shop you are working with knows EXACTLY how to extract the power with the cam/air/exhaust combo at the tuning level, its a wash no matter whose parts you bolt on.

On the B-roads you never venture over 5000rpm. Combine a very hard ride with masses of power and the result is that you simply don’t have the confidence to fully unleash the engine. On the fast A-roads it’s much more assured; stable, grippy and devastatingly rapid. Here the extra performance can be put to good use.
Uhm - again.. the reviewer misses the point, the car already has more than enough power to exploit the B-Roads and be dominating... so you don't BOTHER going over 5,000rpm until you hit the A-Roads and then yuo pull 10 car lengths on the Enzo and CGT

However, for me the Z06 is already quite fast enough. I think I’d invest my £5500 elsewhere, and with track driving in mind the suspension would be a good start…
and yet again - the stock - stock stock suspension is good enough for a 7m43s Northloop lap... if anything, he should spend the 5 grand on driver training

So - in summary - this article is nothing new to those in the know... and the folks in the know are the 10,000's of Chevy enthusiasts whom have been adding 100's of BHP to their Vettes for decades...

And again, just cause you bolt on parts from the catalogue, doesn't make the package the same as a "package" deal from the tuner themselves.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote