View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #25
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
after posting that, i went out and searched the web about it... some interesting lenses. the M7 really does look 50 years old... but for most natural light instances, seems to work amazingly.

i've been told that film lenses actually have a built in light-distortion to match the slightly 'warped' film in such a camera; where digital doesnt since the CCD is flat for all intents and pourposes... any idea if that is true?
Nah, the only real difference is coating on the rear element. That's for example why Canon updated the 85 f/1.2 L (and slightly faster focus) and Sigma updated all their lenses to DG. The light can bounce up and down between the glass in front of the sensor and the rear element of the lens, thus producing flare/ghosting/other unwanted results. But I've yet to see a test where someone can show the difference between a lens with and without a special coated rear element.

But old film lenses on a CCD/CMOS are no problem.