Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Ferrari (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Ferrari News (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17289)

SFDMALEX 10-13-2004 11:15 AM

Ferrari News

Posted by NUNO

Ferrari to spin off Maserati for IPO

TURIN -- Hoping to improve its balance sheet, sports car maker Ferrari is expected to approve Monday the spin-off of its loss-making Maserati luxury sports car subsidiary to Fiat group.

The move is seen as a preliminary step toward an initial public offering of Ferrari shares later this spring.

Ferrari's IPO has been rumored for years, but chronic losses at Maserati have forced a delay in the company's plans to go public.

Fiat group controls 56 percent of Ferrari S.p.A., which in turn owns 100 percent of Maserati.

Terms of the planned sale aren't available, but Fiat group is expected to pay Ferrari in cash for Maserati.

Ferrari originally paid 15.4 million euros for Maserati when it bought the company from Fiat in a transaction completed in November, 1999.

Maserati had been in the red since Fiat bought it from Alejandro De Tomaso in January, 1990.

In 2004, Ferrari-Maserati production surpassed 9,500 units, boosting revenues to 1.5 billion euros. That was up almost 20 percent from 1.26 billion euros in 2003.

Ferrari-Maserati lost 57 million euros in the first nine months of 2004, mainly due to the strong euro and heavy investments in Maserati. The combined company hopes to break even for the full year 2004. In 2003, it reported a 32 million euro operating profit.

Though Ferrari doesn't break out Maserati results, it is clear that, without Maserati, Ferrari would show a substantial profit.

For Ferrari, 2004 was a record in terms of production: It built more than 4,900 units, up from a 1992 record production of more than 4,400.

Maserati production rose almost 60 percent to 4,600 units, a level which doesn't allow it to break event yet. The company made substantial investments to launch two new models last year, the new Quattroporte sporty sedan and the MC12 limited-edition supercar.

By Luca Ciferri
Automotive News Europe / January 31, 2005

Ferrari 575 Updates

Ferrari chose the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance to show select customers a prototype 575 with a special glass roof that folds back and rests on the boot-lid when it's open. The novel roof was first shown on Fioravanti's Alfa Vola concept at the 2001 Geneva show. Ferrari has been testing the system since March 2004 and hopes to fit it to a limited edition 575 Berlinetta due in

Ferrari is also preparing a 575 Stradale. It's much like this year's 575 HGTC but even more extreme. Expect to see it at the 2005 Geneva Motor Show in March.

Source Evo

nejcdolinsek 10-13-2004 02:23 PM

The 575 stradale is gonna be a killer!!!

I predict 560hp, and about 100 kg lighter. 0-100km/h in about 3.9s

redbaron 10-14-2004 12:44 PM

575 Stradale :D :D :D
Can't wait :twisted:

mindgam3 10-14-2004 01:18 PM

the folding roof concept is pretty old news.

Dont see the point of making the 575 a stradale though, its supposed to be a comfy GT not a sportscar like the 360.

No doubt it'll be dam fun tho ;)

Caps8419 10-14-2004 02:31 PM

i hope the 575 stradale is basically a 575gt w/ a nice big stripe!
that car is gorgeous!!!

dons5 10-14-2004 06:43 PM

well i do see a point in making 575 Stradale version because kinda a way to celebrate the 575 GTC, i know thy got the package for the customers on regular 575m, but to make it even more special (and maybe also cause of the new updated vanquish, which i gaurantee is still slower then a 575m) there makin a 575M Stradale version

raphaelws 10-15-2004 12:47 AM

I can't wait do see sound of 575 Stradale!!!

komotar 10-18-2004 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphaelws
I can't wait do see sound of 575 Stradale!!!

You're funny... :lol:

numerouno 10-19-2004 03:16 AM

The electro chromatic glass section has five tint settings, including the possibility for having it 100% opaque. For security reasons, this opaque setting will also automatically feature when the car is parked and locked. Other than for the obvious reason of maximum luggage space at all times, another advantage of the system lies in its simple and light-weight structure. The system can also be used on a rear mid-engined layout.
A limited run of 500 examples will be built, whilst the engine has been developed to produce 540 bhp. In the meantime, Ferrari are working out issues regarding dust and debris build up on the glass.
It is rumoured that the new car will be called 575 Berlinetta, whilst prices are anticipated to lie at around USD $325,000.
575 Berlinetta:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...inetta_350.jpg
Fioravanti's Alfa Vola concept
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...favola_350.jpg
Source: www.italiaspeed.com

amenasce 11-04-2004 08:07 AM

There wont be a 575 Stradale.

dons5 11-04-2004 08:07 PM

oh ya? why not and where did u get that from?

amenasce 11-05-2004 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dons5
oh ya? why not and where did u get that from?

Why ? I dont know. But its someone from Ferrari Spa who told me that at the Paris Show.

dons5 11-05-2004 10:01 AM

ya i wouldnt be surprised if its all bs cause they do got the gtc package out, but then i wouldnt be surprised if they did release it cause for the 360 u could order in more racier parts when ordering a regular 360, this was after the Challenge Stradale camoe out, now they did the same thing with the 575M by offering a GTC pack and then they might release the Stradale version after, kinda vice versa of how they did it with the 360

SFDMALEX 11-25-2004 09:34 PM

Ferrari SuperAmerica, The Fastest Convertable In The World 320KMH

[img]community/foto/cars/12cil/superamerica34-Ant-aperto_def_ok_558x372.jpg[/img]
http://www.ferrariworld.com/images/f...ok_558x372.jpg

dons5 11-26-2004 04:07 AM

but isnt the Zonda, and Murc convertibles faster?

mclaren_Gt 11-26-2004 04:59 AM

look likes a sucesor of f355 spider

but i prefer the f355 spider

dons5 11-26-2004 05:29 AM

ok i know the pic is not in this thread but go look up the side view pic with the top up. Doesnt it remind you of a 308/328, like from the rear to almost all the way to the front, and more the upper half of the car. Its gorgeous i love the roofline. I dont know how to attach pics ( i dont know why there just insnt an attach button).

|Nuno| 02-01-2005 10:33 AM

TURIN -- Hoping to improve its balance sheet, sports car maker Ferrari is expected to approve Monday the spin-off of its loss-making Maserati luxury sports car subsidiary to Fiat group.

The move is seen as a preliminary step toward an initial public offering of Ferrari shares later this spring.

Ferrari's IPO has been rumored for years, but chronic losses at Maserati have forced a delay in the company's plans to go public.

Fiat group controls 56 percent of Ferrari S.p.A., which in turn owns 100 percent of Maserati.

Terms of the planned sale aren't available, but Fiat group is expected to pay Ferrari in cash for Maserati.

Ferrari originally paid 15.4 million euros for Maserati when it bought the company from Fiat in a transaction completed in November, 1999.

Maserati had been in the red since Fiat bought it from Alejandro De Tomaso in January, 1990.

In 2004, Ferrari-Maserati production surpassed 9,500 units, boosting revenues to 1.5 billion euros. That was up almost 20 percent from 1.26 billion euros in 2003.

Ferrari-Maserati lost 57 million euros in the first nine months of 2004, mainly due to the strong euro and heavy investments in Maserati. The combined company hopes to break even for the full year 2004. In 2003, it reported a 32 million euro operating profit.

Though Ferrari doesn't break out Maserati results, it is clear that, without Maserati, Ferrari would show a substantial profit.

For Ferrari, 2004 was a record in terms of production: It built more than 4,900 units, up from a 1992 record production of more than 4,400.

Maserati production rose almost 60 percent to 4,600 units, a level which doesn't allow it to break event yet. The company made substantial investments to launch two new models last year, the new Quattroporte sporty sedan and the MC12 limited-edition supercar.

By Luca Ciferri
Automotive News Europe / January 31, 2005

dons5 02-02-2005 03:48 AM

ok i dont get this, Ferrari wants to sell Maserati. First it says Maserati made record sales, then it said they lost money, then it says they made profit, its all over the place i dont understand this article one bit. I hear sooo much good stuff bout Maserati and how there doing really well.

nthfinity 02-02-2005 10:30 PM

ok, ill see if i can clear that up for you a bit, dons5

in 2003, combined ferrari maserati made a profit of 32 million euros
in the first 3 quarters of 2004, the combination was at a loss, and hoped to break even by the end of the 4th quarter.

2004 had record numbers for production, for both ferrari and maserati 4900, and 4600 respectively... but maserati failed to sell the 'break even' number, which would be ofset the cost of production, and overhead. where ferrari is said to be profitable.... so the combined ferrari/maserati profit would be close to break-even this year.

by launching 1.x cars this year, research/devel, and costs of bringing to market are high... i wouldn't doubt maserati hope the quatroporte sells well next year.

make more sense?

SilviaEvo 02-02-2005 10:47 PM

i hear VW wants Maserati for the Phaethon so this would be a good oppurtunity for VW if Ferrari does sell it i bet that VW will buy it!

ferrarif1fan89 02-02-2005 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
i hear VW wants Maserati for the Phaethon so this would be a good oppurtunity for VW if Ferrari does sell it i bet that VW will buy it!

I thought VW wanted it for the rear drive platform of the quattroporte, and maserati wants VW for a modern six-speed auto for, yup, the quattroporte. also, maserati is looking into audi's aluminum and quattro technology.

dons5 02-02-2005 11:27 PM

but i just dont get it, i always hear that Maserati is doing soo good

ferrarif1fan89 02-02-2005 11:38 PM

i dunno, im just sayin what ive heard and read.

SilviaEvo 02-03-2005 12:01 AM

^^ same here its all about the Quattroporte

dons5 02-04-2005 06:02 AM

ya i dunno thats really weird and such a shock

|Nuno| 02-07-2005 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dons5
but i just dont get it, i always hear that Maserati is doing soo good

Nope, they're not. They're better than before, but the Coupe/Spider sales are far from brilliant. The Quattroporte is selling well tough... But like the others said, it's still not enough to cover the costs.
--------------------------------------------------------

Autocar (c)

The end of Ferrari as we know it?

Ferrari is pondering a product revolution and has asked four of the worlds’ most respected car design schools to come up with some radical ideas. Britain’s Coventry School of Art and Design is one of the institutes selected, along with Pasadena’s Art Centre, the European Institute of Design in Turin and the Tokyo Communication Arts School. Coventry students have already met up in the UK with Frank Stephenson, Ferrari-Maserati’s design chief.

Ferrari’s brief for the students involved poses a profound choice for the company: ‘Should Ferrari continue to develop its new products along the same lines [as the current front and mid-engine range] or can new automotive concepts…be proposed?’ Ferrari specifically excludes proposals for ‘special models’ (F50, Enzo right) but wants ideas for new types that could be added to the current line-up or even replace the existing range.

dons5 02-07-2005 05:03 PM

yes i read that, Ferrari arent doing that cause they need to do it, or cause they are desperate or whatever liek this stupid articvle makes it seem. They are just doing it because well why not? Why only stick to a select group of ideas when u can have a bunch of ppls ideas it doesnt hurt.

|Nuno| 02-07-2005 05:58 PM

^^ Yes, those are only style exercises, prototypes maybe, and not new models as the article wants to show.

mv 03-09-2005 03:09 PM

The 612 to get an optional handling pack

Specs as follows :

Brembo composite-brakes "Carbo-Ceramica": front 380*36mm, rear 360*34mm
Sport setup
Improved F1 gearshift
19" modular and spotted rims
sport exhaust

|Nuno| 03-09-2005 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mv
The 612 to get an optional handling pack

Specs as follows :

Brembo composite-brakes "Carbo-Ceramica": front 380*36mm, rear 360*34mm
Sport setup
Improved F1 gearshift
19" modular and spotted rims
sport exhaust

Thanks mv!

I was expecting this tough... They're trying to attract youger buyers or just people who want a more sporty GT. Looks like the sales of the 612 aren't going as Ferrari expected... They sold well on the first months, but now...

mv 03-09-2005 03:43 PM

True, however, I reckon the younger customers demanding a more sporty GT will wait for the maranello successor.

|Nuno| 03-09-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mv
True, however, I reckon the younger customers demanding a more sporty GT will wait for the maranello successor.

Yeah, I should have said youger custumers who need the 2 additional seats. :D
But there aren't many, I figure...

mv 03-14-2005 09:02 AM

Have found a pic :

http://www.photolocker.net/thumbs/mv...2sportpack.jpg

redbaron 10-20-2005 05:24 AM

Ferrari is developing a four wheel traction system. It will beno permanent four wheel traction, but a system which only operates the front wheels if that is really necessary. Ferrari is the first comapny that requested patents for such a four wheel traction system. It can be only used for cars with the engine mounted in the front and rear-wheel drive. The 4WD of Ferrari is no permanent system. The front wheels are only operated if they lose their grip. The period of use of the 4WD last maximum twenty up to thirty seconden, because when used longer the system will overheat. According to speculation, the 612 Scaglietti will be the first Ferrari which is equipped with this technique. Also the 600, that replaces 575M the Maranello over short time, could also yuse this type of extra traction. Moreover it is well conceivable that the Maserati Quattroporte and the continuator of the coupé and Spyder in the long run become deliverable with this 4WD.

source :arrow: www.autoweek.nl

McLaren4eVa 02-12-2006 04:57 PM

Hey Jus Wondering Did Any1 hear Bout Ferrari's New Baby Dubbed 'Project California' And Wen Typed In Google Theres An Article About It Costing 80K Ang being The Aston Fighter With A 4.2 Liter V8 And 400BHP Post BAck If Theres Any News Coz I Seen An Artists Impression And It Looks Like A Good Car.

Heres The Article
http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=214573

vexor 03-23-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Ferrari planning spiritual revival of P4?

Ferrari is reportedly planning to build a new car based on the Enzo that hearkens back to the P4 racer of the 1960s (shown right). The car will be revealed on August 20th at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California, according to AutoExpress. It was designed by Pininfarina, and is more than just a concept, according to a source at the design firm. The car will be called the 612 P4/5, and will feature the same engine as the Enzo, as well as the same chassis, wrapped in carbon bodywork and a full roll cage. The nose is shorter and more aggressive than that of the Enzo. The windscreen, roof and rear of the cabin are all transparent, creating panoramic visibility.
- LeftLaneNews

Bernardo 07-05-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren4eVa
Hey Jus Wondering Did Any1 hear Bout Ferrari's New Baby Dubbed 'Project California' And Wen Typed In Google Theres An Article About It Costing 80K Ang being The Aston Fighter With A 4.2 Liter V8 And 400BHP Post BAck If Theres Any News Coz I Seen An Artists Impression And It Looks Like A Good Car.

Heres The Article
http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=214573

wow dude this car just kicks ass, though i doubt ferrari will build it.

fsandys 07-05-2006 06:28 PM

Yeh, the subject of a baby Ferrari has been brought up numerous times, a Ferrari boss very recently confirmed Ferrari would not be going down these lines.

Good news I feel :D

Bernardo 07-05-2006 06:52 PM

indeed that i think ferrari shouldnt make cheap cars (compared to the actual price tags)but that car just looks better than any actual ferrari IMHO, it actualy should replace the f430 which will be pretty soon as i heared '08(not sure though)with a better engine of course. :roll:

blue8 05-08-2007 07:20 AM

from Winding Road:
Weird Week At Ferrari: Voted No.1 Great Place To Work In Europe, Then Workers Strike For A Day

Italy and Italians are universally regarded as a… challenging bunch in some senses. One of these is their love of national and local strikes.

But imagine if your company was awarded the prestigious recognition of “No.1 Great Place to Work in Europe” out of the top 100 on May 3rd, and then the same workers who helped earn you the award walk out on May 4th with a long list of protests. Welcome to a day in the life of Italian industry.

The Great Place to Work Institute in Europe evaluates such items as investment in the workplace atmosphere and facilities, concern for worker benefits and training for advancement, and supplier relations. Over one thousand companies take part in this annual affair.

So, no sooner has Ferrari nabbed this than union members of the RSU (Rappresentanza Sindacale Unitaria - i.e. Unified Labor Delegation more or less) schedule a walk out to address several eternal disgruntlings, among them pay discrimination, overemployment of non-contractual and non-union workers, too much overtime, workplace safety, lack of adequate employee parking, and suffering product quality due to company priorities straying from such core values (OUCH!).

Regarding that last point, do you agree? Remember, it’s not design or horsepower in question here, but overall product quality. Write us a comment whether you own one, have owned one, or just been driven in one.

from Motor Authority:
Want to buy a Ferrari? Join the queue

The Ferrari brand is synonymous with desirability and exclusiveness, a combination that leaves buyers often waiting up to 24 months just to take delivery of one. Remember, people who can afford to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on a car aren’t used to waiting more than five minutes for a coffee let alone two years for a car, supercar or not. Maranello is well aware of the problem. We’ve already reported that Ferrari is planning to lift production to meet rising demand from emerging markets such as China, Russia and the Middle East, and now the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) is reporting that US customers may have to wait even longer because of rising sales in China.

Until a few years ago, the standard wait for a Ferrari was around 12 months, which was enough time to build anticipation but not long enough to make customers switch brands. This was when Ferrari was only building around 4,000 cars per year and was serving only three major markets, North America, Italy and Germany. At the same time, Ferrari Chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo claimed his company would never build more than 5,000 cars a year.

Fast forward to today, and surging demand from Asia, the Middle East and Russia has seen Ferrari’s output rise to 5,700 cars in 2006 with an estimated 6,000 vehicles for this year. Even with the extra production, waiting times in Hong Kong, the United States, Australia and England have past the 24 month mark. New York Ferrari dealer Michael Mastrangelo who spoke with reporters from the WSJ paints a gloomy picture. The average waiting time for his customers is three years. By the time they’re handed the keys, Ferrari would have released an updated model. Another problem dealers face is having to help repeat customers first. “It’s very hard to come into a dealership right now and put in a new order if you are not already a customer,” Mastrangelo says. “When I get a young person, what I say is, let’s start with a used car.”

Ferrari is also concerned about some customers reselling their cars in mint condition at highly inflated prices. According to the WSJ, of the 20 Ferrari F430s in the UAE, only three were sold officially through local dealerships. To help solve this problem Ferrari now asks customers to sign a statement promising to offer their cars to dealers first when selling but this is only an option.

All this brings us to the issue of Ferrari adding a new entry-level Dino. If Ferrari isn’t even meeting demand for its high-end models why would it introduce a cheaper, higher volume model, which would only dilute the brand? A better option would be to sell less, higher profit cars so that revenues can increase while exclusivity remains.