PDA

View Full Version : Norton Antivirus and System 32 file

Silvia_Drift
05-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Hey guys. I just installed Norton 2004 and it told me to do a system scan before i install the program so I said okay. Anyways, it found many viruses and I selected delete for all of them. I didn't know that this would delete the actual files though, just the virus. It turns out that my system 32 file was infected and norton deleted it. Now everytime I start the computer, it says could not locate system 32 file. How will not having this file affect my computer and is there anywhere I can download it or something? BTW, I'm running Windows XP Home edition. Thanks.

graywolf624
05-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Your best bet is to back up and then reinstall windows. you do not want to be placing a new version of a critical file in there, and your system may be compromised in other ways beyond what the virus scanner fixed.

Burn whatevers on your computer to cd and then start the new windows install.

Sachmo12345
05-06-2004, 06:33 PM
that is the exact reason that i dont linke spyware and virus programs

crazidude
05-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Doesn't XP have a recovery option? I think you could fix windows if it does have the option. I can't remember whether it does though.

RC45
05-07-2004, 02:38 AM
Your "system 32 file"?

Doesn't really exist - so I am guessing you are paraphrasing... ;)

Silvia_Drift
05-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Well, this is what it says when I start up my computer:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9608/messedup.JPG

RC45
05-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Well - considering that system32.exe is actually a trojon carrier for virii - Norton did as designed and deleted it.

You now need to get rid of what ever registry entry still references that file.

Hit google and do some research on system32.exe there bub.. ;)

Silvia_Drift
05-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Well - considering that system32.exe is actually a trojon carrier for virii - Norton did as designed and deleted it.

You now need to get rid of what ever registry entry still references that file.

Hit google and do some research on system32.exe there bub.. ;)

Ok, thanks alot man.

jon_s
05-08-2004, 02:53 PM
There may be a way of fixing windows if you put in the windows cd, have a look at the options. Backup all your important stuff though.

graywolf624
05-08-2004, 03:41 PM
start->run-> regedit.
then look under local machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run (and runonce and run once ex).
I still suggest a new install is a better idea. But that should get rid of a on startup call.

Silvia_Drift
05-09-2004, 09:59 PM
start->run-> regedit.
then look under local machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run (and runonce and run once ex).
I still suggest a new install is a better idea. But that should get rid of a on startup call.

Do I just delete all the stuff in those folders?

graywolf624
05-09-2004, 10:28 PM
those are the programs that are run on startup. delete the ones that don't belong.. if you dont know.. do a search for that particular entries name. That should tell you what program uses it. Delete the ones that dont belong to programs you want running at startup. ex: the one that runs system32.exe in the data section.

Silvia_Drift
05-10-2004, 12:24 AM
those are the programs that are run on startup. delete the ones that don't belong.. if you dont know.. do a search for that particular entries name. That should tell you what program uses it. Delete the ones that dont belong to programs you want running at startup. ex: the one that runs system32.exe in the data section.

Ok man, i'll do that now. Thanks.