PDA

View Full Version : iPod Scam on Ebay

Maverick7K
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Be careful guys...

iPod scam swamping eBay
Pyramid scheme hits the auction site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted 10:57am EST Thu Feb 12 2004 - submitted by Matthew
NEWS
eBay is currently being swamped with a range of surprisingly cheap offers on Apple's iPod and other desirable electronics, such as games consoles and mobile phones. The reason why the devices are so cheap is because the whole thing is just a way of getting people to sign up for a "matrix" scheme, a new form of pyramid scheme.

If you actually go to eBay and inquire about one of these super-cheap products, you are told by the seller not to bid on the item, but instead to go to another website. These websites then ask you to sign up and buy products from them, and in return give you a free gift such as an iPod. The free gift is not sent to you straight away, though; your name goes on a list and you are required to get more people to sign up. As they do your name goes up the list, and when it reaches the top you get your iPod. Pyramid schemes such as this are an illegal practice, and are always doomed to failure (leaving the victims with nothing) based on the way in which they work--there just aren't enough people in the world for everyone to get enough people signed up to get something.

eBay has now become the front for people recruiting others to get their free gifts. eBay sees this as insignificant when you consider the number of scams in relation to the 20 million or so legitimate auctions that occur daily.

Read more at Wired News

MATTHEW'S OPINION
Pyramid schemes, as the Wired article states, are an illegal activity, so eBay turning a blind eye as long as the auction is classified correctly is not good enough. People aren't told about the scheme until after they purchase an item, and so are subject to the scam. The fact that people are directed to a website instead of bidding on an item means that this is potentially not an eBay problem if the auctioned item actually does sell or is removed from sale. That makes this a more difficult issue to resolve.

Most people will just realize that something isn't right and go elsewhere, but if people continue to fall for this scam then eBay may be in line for some legal action from disgruntled customers. eBay is a company that makes money from others selling through its service. The auctions that occur are based on a certain amount of trust between the two parties as money is exchanged and items sent.

To improve this process eBay classifies sellers using the feedback system and completed auction counter next to the seller's name. If someone with a high auction count and good feedback is involved in this scam then it could be argued that eBay is somehow endorsing the scam by allowing the seller to have a trustworthy status. I realize this is grasping at straws, but it could be used against eBay if action were ever taken.

Regardless of whether the problem is or isn't eBay's, the site should still take action. It's providing a service, and this scam is manipulating that service to make money illegally. Therefore in my eyes it is an eBay problem.

TT
02-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info! :D

But as said, thanks to the feedback systems, it would be hard for those smartasses to "sell" to normal ebay buyers regularly checking past feedbacks :)

Maverick7K
02-12-2004, 07:19 PM
The feedback forum is one of ebay's best features...The thing that acares me is, very many sellers have tons of products on the market and they can get positive feedback for ligitimate sales. If a good seller decides to go in on a scam, the results are disasterous.

TT
02-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Yes true, but when somebody offers you something usually costing 100, 200 or 500 USD for maybe 10 or 20, well.. you can smell shit :D

Luckily in our 269 transactions (yes, just checked) since summer 2002, we never had a single problem, but I never had to buy major stuff from ebay so far.

PATo355
02-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Its all about cheking the calification , i had 1 problem time ago when i bought 2 nokia 8890 cell phones , for 450 both , and one costed 600 in other auctions , so i got ripped off , and the guy had 0 califications :(

Also when they dont want personal checks of paypal or bidpay and want money via western union is usually a scam , the security is like shit in that thing

Gimp
07-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Ok, so I am hearing about this Ipod thing and didn't feel like making a thread... Similar but it seems a lot easier. Basically you sign up through another person who has already signed up, then get 5 people to sign up through you and you get an ipod. Here are some sites that people "prove" they have received one:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1807507#post1807507
(I know it's ricer but check it out anyways. Check page 4 and it shows screen shots of how he actually got one...)

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=331441&page=36&pp=15

Both are like saying that they have received it, now is it bullshit? You have to give out your cred number which is a big nono and would turn many people off right away, but you could cancle your cred and get a new one ( to much work for a lazy guy like me). The bill is shipped to the internet company Gratis... I know I can't get one even if it isn't bs because you have to live in the US... Soooo does anyone in here know of a person that actually received one ? I smell bullshit IMO, but it seems like there are actually people , getting this without any drawbacks.
**edit** So far like 10 have got one .... Sounds like too much work for an Ipod, if it isn't bs...

DanielW
07-23-2004, 12:00 AM
i like your avatar gimp.

Gimp
07-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks man, I like your vette :D .

Overmind
07-23-2004, 07:53 PM
The thing that acares me is, very many sellers have tons of products on the market and they can get positive feedback for ligitimate sales. If a good seller decides to go in on a scam, the results are disasterous.

oh yes they are, real life experience talking here :(.