PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Outlook?

ARMAN
06-01-2005, 05:42 AM
I was using it 5 years ago and it was pretty good cause there was no spam in the net but I am affraid that now it is a spammail/virus paradise cause it download everything in the PC and opened it without you knowing it.
Anyone use it? And have suggestions to avoid downloading worms/viruses? Or it now does it for itself?

dingo
06-01-2005, 05:54 AM
I use it and for some reason have no problem with spam, currently I get only emails that I want. I'm not using any type of software to get rid of it either - so for me Outlook is great and I can't see any probs with it :wink:

Fleischmann
06-01-2005, 06:03 AM
I don't use ourtlook, that's because I don't get much mail. I check my messages on the gmail www.

ARMAN
06-01-2005, 06:39 AM
with the M$ builtin spamfilter thingie

its some special addon Thamar?

DeMoN
06-01-2005, 09:40 AM
yup I use outlook 2003, no problems with it. Archiving is easy and importing/exporting friends info/email/etc. is quite easy so no worries when reformatting pc.

antonioledesma
06-01-2005, 11:54 AM
used to when I was at school, but now I only use hotmail and yahoo for email. And for agenda purpouses I can do it with my mind :mrgreen:

ARMAN
06-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Check your inbox Antonio

levensnevel
06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Never used Outlook in the past nor in the future (@ home that is )
@ work it is a totally different ballgame as outlook is mandatory there :shock:

5vz-fe
06-01-2005, 02:14 PM
gmail + opera mail agent...that's it.

DeMoN
06-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I use hotmail too, but my @demonwares.net emails and my university email requires POP accnt which I rather use Outlook than squirrelmail or something.

ARMAN
06-01-2005, 04:43 PM
I needed it for sending offer to company's, by sending one after another is unbeleavably slow - copy email - paste email, copy text - paste text and write title, copy email - paste email, copy text - paste text and write title, copy email - paste email, copy text - paste text and write title, copy email - paste email, copy text - paste text and write title...... very slow. If I add only emails that one klick and all mails are sent 8)

Daggernite
06-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I use outlook with no problem. I find using it alot quicker and easier than web browser based email because there no need to refresh pages and waiting for them to load.

Blip
06-01-2005, 05:35 PM
I was using it 5 years ago and it was pretty good cause there was no spam in the net but I am affraid that now it is a spammail/virus paradise cause it download everything in the PC and opened it without you knowing it.
Anyone use it? And have suggestions to avoid downloading worms/viruses? Or it now does it for itself?

Outlook still has some security vulnerbailities which microsucks still hasn't patched.(fixed)

Using an email client like outlook is always risky because it downloads your emails as well as the attatchments that could contain viruses directly onto your PC. On the otherhand checking your email on a website means you can choose wether to view the attatchment.

There is a really nice program called eprompter, it allows you to view email directly on the server without downloading, except that you don't need to open your browser so is very quick and easy. I'm pretty sure you'll like this one. www.eprompter.com

However if you must use an email client may i suggest "Thunderbird" from the creators of the FireFox browser. www.mozilla.org

ARMAN
06-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Ok, thanx :wink:

pzgren
06-02-2005, 03:01 AM
i'm using outlook at home and in the office. additionally i'm using Spamihilator (www.spamihilator.com) to reduce the incoming Spam Mails. Made good experience with it. With this tool i could reduce the spammails to 10%.

jumpman23
06-02-2005, 03:10 AM
I actually like using Outlook, as it does all my appointments, contacts and mail. As for the spam issue, I guess it would depend. For instance I don't really have a problem with spam because my e-mail address isn't given out to too many sites (as you know some sites will send your information to other affiliate sites).

Blip
06-02-2005, 05:35 AM
In Outlook 2003 it's disabled by default that you auto download the content of html emails, also a lot of attachments are blocked and you can only turn the blocking of by editing the registry.

I didn't know of that feature. Still...using outlook is not the safest way to retrieve your email. Being the most famous client out there, means the evil doers will turn their attention towards it.

With eprompter, using POP3 it will leave everything on the server and only downloads pure text. Incredimail is pretty nice as well.

btw.. go to windowsupdate and see how many security patches there is for it. The new version is better but still not good enough. You trust microsucks to block harmful attatchment when their anti-spyware product detects itself ! :lol: Basically... outlook can get you killed :D

PS: I'm not saying this because I dislike microsoft, but every self-respecting computer enthusiast has to admit that they don't make very good software in terms of programming/efficiency and creativty. Thats why a lot of their products are very easy to attack and infest with VIRUSES.

Mattk
06-02-2005, 06:09 AM
I use Outlook. It's pretty convenient when it comes to pooling all the mail from all your email addresses together.

Blip
06-02-2005, 12:39 PM
the more popular software is, the more people will start and look for bugs in that software.

I am not sure if understand you correctly but I agree with what you said above ^^^ :D , thats what i was trying to point out.

mendocino
06-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Thunderbird is great, I used it some month ago and I was just pleased. The thing is : it is just a mail client, whereas outlook (in it"s full form) is way more than just a email client (notes, calendar, contacts etc) so clearly it depends on what you're looking for. (do also investigate the lotus notes way tough!)

Well I dropped that all away now, I"m using "Mail" on the best os ever... :D