PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea, collectors plz check this..

Mr.Vercetti
04-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Yo guys I was wondering, JW has a pretty large diecast/handbuilt collectors community and I thought why not building a special 1/43 miniature car for our community?

What do you think? :D

ZfrkS62
04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
specifics please? i'm not entirely sure as to what you're getting at

SilviaEvo
04-10-2005, 07:36 PM
^^i think he says we should build a 1/43 car for JW because we have many handbuilt collections? the only person i know that builds these is RC who has the track in his garage

Mr.Vercetti
04-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Im saying why not build a special mini that will be with JW decals, special model base, special colors and in general customized according to JW? It can be either a handbuilt or a diecast, IXO, Spark, Autoart all these companies do such special orders.

ZfrkS62
04-10-2005, 07:57 PM
hmm...i think i could go for that :D

how about a black DiabloVT with the red and yellow JW on the doors in the SVT style?

SilviaEvo
04-10-2005, 09:23 PM
^^wow i was going to say that like the SV. Autoart has tehm so we could make it a special order. although i think it better the JW to be just one color rather than two for two letters.

Pwoarrr
04-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I would go for something like that...but does it have to be 1:43? Can it be in another scale like 1:18?
I like the idea of the "JW" on the side of the car like the diablo SV, but both letters should be of the same colour/style, otherwise it would look tacky IMO.

Mr.Vercetti
04-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I proposed to be in 1/43 scale so that more people could afford it... Plus if it is 1/43 we can create our own custom base.

Lets see what Jabba thinks about the project. :D

TT
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
To be honest, I am not sure I understand. I mean, who will built it?

And do you mean you want to produce an ultra limited edition and then ppl can buy it?

Mr.Vercetti
04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
TT as I already said, companies like Spark, IXO, Autoart can take special orders and create special limited custom models. I think that the M3(e30) North America Club had Minichamps create one such mini for their Club.

TT
04-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Ah okok, I see now, but I am not sure they charge just the usual 30 to 50 USD / model in such cases.. especially since I think we wont' order more than 10 to 20 units... no idea though.. maybe you should first ask to the E30 club and see how they did it?

Mr.Vercetti
04-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I already sent a couple of emails because the club that Im into(about Seat Ibiza owners) is interested in ordering a special Ibiza.

Ill notify when I have news.

sndr
04-11-2005, 02:24 PM
That would be an great idea i sure want one If the price is a bit reasonable

komotar
04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I think it's a cool idea and I'm not even into all this model car things.....

I'm in. any scale, well, maybe not 1/1 :roll:

gis
04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
be a great idea to have a special JW model to add to my collection :D

TT
04-12-2005, 03:49 AM
The idea is for sure interesting and while Vercetti tries to find out how much it would cost, it would be nice to have at least a vague idea about how many we would order.. as I said, I doubt there will be more than 10-20 persons interested.

So far we could say Vercetti, Zrfk, Silvia, Pwoarr, goodduck, TT, dani, komotar and gis are interested. I really don't see how we could be more than 20 but you never know.

I suppose they have a minimum amount like 50 or 100, I wouldn't be surprise if it's higher than that. And in that case, to order 100 models would be a bit complicated.. to pay for them and then to have stored them forever since nobody wants them? :bah:

Also, for me 1:43 would be better since I collect small models ;)

I highly doubt we could have something for a "correct" price (we should also define what a correct price would be ;))

Mr.Vercetti
04-12-2005, 01:46 PM
one way to get more people interested would be to put in on the portal. just a thouhgt

Yeap I agree with you man, with that way more people would see it. :wink:

antonioledesma
04-12-2005, 01:53 PM
great idea, but could be somewhat difficult, or even mine could be more complicated

why not... buy a little model without decals?, I don't really care if it's a 1/18 or 1/43,

and then find someone that could make those special decals with the JW's logo.
we could save a little amount of money, no extra-special orders, no more than 50usd

for example, TT asks for 10 ferrari 355 (red just like the bid daddy's 8) ) and 10 diablo lambos. He could get a big discount on that order
he ships the car with the JW's decals to the members willing to pay

or I'm just simply stupid? :|

Mr.Vercetti
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
That a very good idea, but the way I see it, having a totally customized model(special colors, decals, interior, base, box) is more appealing. But then again Im thinking as a collector freak... :wink:

stradale
04-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I might be interested, provided it's 1/43 and depending on price and which model, colour etc. is decided upon.

Forgive me my scepticism, but it would surprise me if we could get a decent quote on such a small order. But, I'll keep hoping.

I read in the thread on TT's model collection Mr. Vercetti thought about asking my dad for doing the job. I will certainly ask him, but if he decides to rise to the occasion you must know that there are some drawbacks to this. It is merely a hobby for him so even 20 cars could take a year to complete. I don't know whether he would like building the same model 20 times either. Plus, if you want to use decent kits, the kits alone would cost 50 to 70 euros. Upgrading ready-mades is cheaper, but only a little less time consuming. Another problem with that is that the model should be readily available. For instance, a Diablo would be out of the question as there's no reasonably priced one on the market at this time AFAIK.

Mr.Vercetti
04-13-2005, 01:54 AM
Stradale I was j/k man! :mrgreen:

stradale
04-13-2005, 05:14 AM
LOL, oh well... :oops:

Mr.Vercetti
04-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Not that it would be a bad idea though.. :D :mrgreen:

stradale
04-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Well, I suspect the chances of him being willing to do it are very slim.

Evo
04-13-2005, 09:44 AM
A 1:12 scale would be more excusive but that's just me.. :mrgreen: ..

It's a really nice idea.. but cost is the biggest issue here.. You have to decide on a car.. color .. and other spec then present it to the company asking them for 20 or so models and what price will they give you then you can start playing around with the idea.

Pwoarrr
04-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Okay.....so everyone agrees that if we do this, it gonna be in 1:43 scale right? Now that I have thought about it, it is the ideal scale because it won't take up lots of room, would probably be cheaper for us, and there are more cars to chose from in this scale.

Next question: Who are we gonna ask for a price/quote? I not too familiar with this scale, so I don't know which companies would be willing to do this. Anyone with experience in this "field" plz give some advice! Or maybe we could get Mr.Vercetti to ask around and from there we could decide which to chose based on the quotes they give us.

Btw, we should set up a poll to decide which car to use. :P

RC45
04-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Y'all better not shit your collective pants when you see the cost of such endevours.. ;)

Even a Fly limited run of 100 1/32 slot cars will be about $5000.00USD. And if there is custom decal and detail work involved... add some more.

Hopefully someone an pull a contact or 2 out of the woodwork to help get extra special low-ball pricing.

These guys all want full price up front for custom work.

Cost per unit goes up as number of models goes down.

TT
04-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Definitely before going on with the discussion we need to find out some benchmark prices and useless to ask for a quote for 500 or 1000 units.

Realisticly, I'd say we should find out for 10, 20 and 50, no more.

And I am sure, even for 50, the price per unit will be MUCH higher than the usual 30-50 USD you pay for a 1:43

SilviaEvo
04-14-2005, 05:06 AM
a shitty idea but there are also Zippos that i think can be customized? maybe its just me but i like zippos :lol:

Mr.Vercetti
04-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Our club(an Hellenic Club for Ibiza owners) decided to make a special model only for our club members. Ive contacted Spark and Ixo. They both replied me and they told me that they can make any model. Ill send them a reply to ask more info about prices, quantities etc.. So stay tuned for ore info. In the meantime lets keep this thread alive so that new members could see it. So far the list is this:

Mr.Vercetti
ZfrkS62
SilviaEvo
Pwoarrr
goodduck
TT
sndr
dani_d_mas
komotar
gis
antonioledesma
stradale
Evo
RC45

ZfrkS62
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
how many other forums do stuff like this? :D

WhiteP
04-22-2005, 04:07 AM
please count me in, I love the idea :D

Mr.Vercetti
05-23-2005, 02:08 AM
Unfortunately people both Spark and IXO need a minimum order of 500 pieces in order to produce the model..

Perhaps when the community grows bigger we will be able to proceed with this idea. :wink:

TT
05-23-2005, 04:18 AM
LOL, 500 is indeed A LOT! :D

TransAm
05-23-2005, 09:50 AM
14!

Count me in as well. 1/18 or 1/43 is fine for me.

I'd have commented sooner but I have only just noticed this thread...

Cigarette1
05-23-2005, 10:14 AM
You can count me in too 8) ...

But I doubt this will ever happen :? I'm a member on a modelcarforum too and they've started an idea like this 1year ago, contacted Minichamps,AUTOart, Ebbro, Spark,... it couldn't be done

Now we're having a 1/43 McLaren handbuilt by autobarn, a model never released before, the 1995 LM testday car, on a carbonfiber plint with username written on,limited to 53pcs, $225 shipment not included

I'm afraid handbuilt will be the only way

TransAm
05-23-2005, 11:33 AM
What might be easier is for someone to just produce a JW racing decal kit (this can be produced by anyone with a good printer). I think, some thin good-quality decals would be a lot cheaper to produce and give us all some fun applying them to our models, gloss-coating etc.

Then, we can buy the decals which would be customised for each individual (some stickers with your username), buy a tamiya model kit of our choice, and handbuild our models. We could then have a competition at the end.

Let me know if we want to go down this route?

I have some further ideas for the JW decal kit, such as ways for us to decide on some official sponsors - we can then hijack their logos from websites or whatever.

'Official JW Sponsors' could be:

Some advertising for Jabba's or anyone else's business (if it's not too much personal information to use the business name and logo). I know that RC is kind of self-employed but probably has a business name he markets himself under.

The decal kits could be used on model cars not only by JW members, but by whoever's businesses are on the decals as marketing gifts.

Cigarette1
05-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Now we're having a 1/43 McLaren handbuilt by autobarn, a model never released before, the 1995 LM testday car, on a carbonfiber plint with username written on,limited to 53pcs, $225 shipment not included

I'm afraid handbuilt will be the only way

I would like to have a model like this with dani_d_mas writen on a carbonfiber plint... but I'm afraid that $225 is a bit too much. However... if more people is interested we can talk about it. Do you have pics of the model???

we won't get them for another 4months, I posted some pics of the real car in my collection topic :wink:

i'll try to get in contact with some handbuilding company's about a very limited forum model, i think the minimum will be 50models, don't think there will be so many people wanting to pay +-€200 for a 1/43model...

but, I know some people(non-jabbas world members) who would also want to buy one(probably even more than 1)...if we don't manage to get 50 JW members on the list

Cigarette1
05-23-2005, 11:51 AM
If only we had 1000+ collectors who would like to have a JW forum model :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Cigarette1/lim.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Cigarette1/lim1.jpg

I believe they only had to pay €15000 for 1008 models, so €15 a model

Mr.Vercetti
05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Dani head over at : http://p080.ezboard.com/bautobarnmotorsports

There is where you can see the McLaren F1 that Cigarette said. Im also a member of AutoBarn forums and I have also made a preorder for the model. My nick there is CupraGTR.

Mr.Vercetti
05-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Dani the model will be ready in approx. 4-5 months.. But you can see pics of the real car at Cigarette's model topic. :wink:

Mr.Vercetti
05-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Its a handbuilt Dani... :wink: And its a very limited edition strictly for the forum members.The plaque has our name on it. And that specific F1 has never beeing released by any other company(either diecast or handbuilt).

Ive purchased 2 months ago a McLaren F1 GTR from AB models, Ill post pics soon so you can see what we're talking about! :mrgreen:

gbg
05-23-2005, 10:46 PM
im still in.

maybe this topic could be stickyfied to get more attention?

Sure, I missed the topic and only got to see it now... if it was on General Chat maybe we could receive more orders.

By the way, you can count me in too! I dunno if it would make its way to brazil, and how much it would cost, but anyway this would be priceless :D

ZfrkS62
05-23-2005, 11:49 PM
aww crap..i take a week off JW and come back to this point :? i'm a little confused here..have we decided on the car r are we still brainstorming? :?

SilviaEvo
05-24-2005, 12:10 AM
aww crap..i take a week off JW and come back to this point :? i'm a little confused here..have we decided on the car r are we still brainstorming? :?
brainstorming. i believe that 200 dollars is wayyyy to expensive for me :oops: . dont have a model over 25 dollars yet! if i spent 200 dollars id buy the 1/12 Ferrari F40 by Exoto. but still a good idea none the less.

riconijhof
05-24-2005, 06:16 AM
Sure an interesting thread. I have experience building custom modelcars, and I could make replica's of example Jabba's cars (if thats what you guys would be looking at).

AutoArt makes yellow Diablo Roadsters, and HotWheels makes red F355 Spiders! I have both:

(note the F355 on these pics is a rare UT)
http://img276.echo.cx/img276/4853/pict46539np.th.jpg (http://img276.echo.cx/my.php?image=pict46539np.jpg)http://img276.echo.cx/img276/7474/pict46540ju.th.jpg (http://img276.echo.cx/my.php?image=pict46540ju.jpg)

Some examples of details that are missing on these models would be licence plates, the yellow wheels on the Diablo, the 2 exhaust pipes on the Diablo and the interior colors on the F355. Also maybe someone here could design a special box which can hold the models, and maybe Jabba has time to sign a bunch of numbered certificates??

Just some ideas, these models are 1:18 though. I think the total price for one completed set could be around 125 Euro ex shipping...

Let's see who likes this!

TT
05-24-2005, 06:42 AM
The idea is for sure tempting, but how much time consuming is it for you? And won't be boring to do the same cars over and over again? 125 Euro is reasonable, but the package would be kinda big, so shipping costs would add quite a bit especially for overseas members.

Also, the custom box thing isn't obvious at all!

But it's definitely a good idea

riconijhof
05-24-2005, 06:53 AM
The idea is for sure tempting, but how much time consuming is it for you? And won't be boring to do the same cars over and over again? 125 Euro is reasonable, but the package would be kinda big, so shipping costs would add quite a bit especially for overseas members.

Also, the custom box thing isn't obvious at all!

But it's definitely a good idea

It will cost me some time, but hey, JW is a place that I really appericiate! And if there's a small amound of money that I can take out of it it'll be ok...
A new box would just be extra nice, but can be left alone for sure. Shipping costs is indeed something I don't know about yet...

mazmazmaz1
05-24-2005, 09:08 AM
:D

mazmazmaz1
05-24-2005, 09:09 AM
I have read the following on some other forum

Cost to make a 1:18th model

Info from www.biante.com.au

A lot of people have asked the question and some have wondered why obscure cars or some concept cars never get made, so I will give you a rough idea of the cost to make a 1:18th race car:

Engineer visit 2,000
Research 100hours 5,000
Loss of interest % 10,000 (assume 200K out for 1 yr)
Tooling hand sample 24,285
Tooling pattern 278,570
Tampo plates 2,700
Line tooling 2,000
Box artwork etc 600
Total $325,155

So now you have a tool and can start to make a car.

Based on cost per car with a run of 3000, this makes the tooling amortisation cost $108.38 per car, so obviously you cannot make ANYTHING that is a one off that will not sell at least 5000pcs.

Say the cost to produce each model is $ 55.00.
Cost of model 55.00
Freight by sea 1.00
Freight to shop 2.00
Manufacturer fee 5.00
Driver/Team fee 15.00
Plus amortisation 108.38
TOTAL $186.38

Now so far there is NO profit for anyone.

Add profit for man-
ufacturer/distributor 18.00
Total to shop= $204.38

Store margin (say 50%) 102.19
Retail $306.57

Add the GST 30.66

RETAIL price $337.23

NOW you know why cars that are "One offs" or unuseable as race cars, taxi, Police or road cars out of basically the same tool, never get made.

Or not by people who want to stay in business anyway.

The only ways to reduce this cost is by bigger total numbers (25,000 is a bare minimum) or to cut corners and make less features/quality.

For example, 3 road cars and 2 race cars for a total of 25,000 models

Engineer visit 2,000
Research 150hours 8,000
Loss of interest % 10,000 (assume 200K out for 1 yr)
Tooling hand sample 24,285
Tooling pattern 278,570
Tooling new bits 10,500
Tampo plates 2,900
Line tooling 2,000
Box artwork etc 900
Total $339,155

Based on cost per car with a run of 25,000, this makes the tooling amortisation cost $13.56 per car

Say the cost to produce each model is $ 28.00.

Cost of model 28.00
Freight by sea 0.60
Freight to shop 2.00
Manufacturer fee 5.00
Driver/Team fee 15.00
Plus amortisation 13.56
TOTAL $64.16

Add profit for man-
ufacturer/distributor 18.00
Total to shop= $82.16

Store margin (say 50%) 41.08
Retail $123.24

Add the GST 12.32

RETAIL price $135.56

So you see, it's a numbers game. To make a model that cant be used for anything else and is usually only in one colour, is not viable. There wouldn't be ONE single Australian car you could make that would sell 25,000 pieces in Australia.

Hope thats of some help to those who keep wondering why we don't make some of the cars requested.

These figures are approximate, but the point is clearly made.[U]
What is a "Tampo Plate"?
Good question. We tend to think everyone knows these terms. Sorry.
The tampo plate is a steel plate that is engraved to about 1 micron deep with the image you want to print on the car.
The special ink is placed into the recess caused by the etching of the plate and a silicon half pear shaped pad lifts the ink from the plate and then as the model slides under it, transfers the ink "image" onto the car.
Fully automated Tampo machines can print eight colours, one on top of the other in about a third of a second, with all the previous colours being dry before it hits the next colour overlay.
The machines are about US$150,000 each. I think Autoart has 250 of them from memory.
Because of the silicon pad, it is sometimes referred to as "Pad Printing"
The ink actually eats into the body paint, thats why you cant scratch it off like a decal.

Hope that answers the question in a simplistic way.

Pwoarrr
05-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Woah!
Haven't been browsing the forum lately, but seems like a few good ideas have surfaced. I really like riconijhof's idea, that might actually work out, but as someone has stated......the shipping could be quite expensive! :?

graywolf624
05-24-2005, 05:32 PM
I have read the following on some other forum
Without bringing direct tech I can prove you wrong. I have on my desk a limited edition model 1:18 (5000 cars made) from the SSOA of america(basically the super sport owners club of america). Cost me 32 dollars and I know they made a profit.
It depends on the company and how custom you want to go.. Go with a pre made model and get permission from the owner of said mold, and itll cost you practically nothing.

I would suggest start by determining a car youd like a model of.

They used this company:
http://www.wellydiecast.com/web/index.html

Which appears if you contact them theyll let you know prices on using the models they have and attaching your own graphics whether it be tampo or just decals.

Our Minimum Order Quantities for each item is 25 cartons while our Minimum Order Amount should be not less than US$8000.00 per shipment.

riconijhof
05-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Shipping from here:

Within European Union: 1-2 kg. 8,40 Euro (6-10 days)
World: 1-2 kg. 13,- Euro (7-12 days)

Thats as you see only if the packacges will weigh less than 2 kg... And I don't know is there are any taxes involved!

About 1:43, both cars have been made in 1:43, but they're VERY rare and impossible to find new. It would turn out more expensive than the 1:18 set...

We need more people to reply here! If there's like 10-20 people interested we could figure something out!

sndr
05-25-2005, 07:35 AM
This sound really good i'm still in

Cigarette1
05-25-2005, 09:00 AM
AAUTOart;
1/43 LAMBORGHINI DIABLO ROADSTER (YELLOW)

expected Q4 2005-Q1 2006

Kyosho is going to bring out a lot of 1/43 Ferrari's , so is IXO, don't know wether there will be a 355spider of wether it's already been made...

I also just sent a package with 1 1/18 model in it , = 1850kg, so 2 1/18 models will definatly be +2kg

Mr.Vercetti
05-25-2005, 01:48 PM
riconijhof (F355 4ev what are you proposing EXACTLY cause I got a bit confused.. :|

riconijhof
05-26-2005, 09:01 AM
riconijhof (F355 4ev what are you proposing EXACTLY cause I got a bit confused.. :|

This thread is about ideas for special JW exclusive modelcars isn't it? Well there's my idea. I can make replicas of Jabbas cars...

Mr.Vercetti
05-26-2005, 09:17 AM
^^^^^^

I know what this thread is since Im the one who started it... What I dont understand is what exactly are you going to do....

riconijhof
05-26-2005, 05:24 PM
^^^^^^

I know what this thread is since Im the one who started it... What I dont understand is what exactly are you going to do....

I can make the Diablo and 355 excact replica of Jabbas cars in 1:18 for anyone whos interested. You know, yellow wheels, numberplates, exhaust and the 355 interior + maybe some other details. If there are enough people interested (say 10-20) I'll go find out what the prices and possibilities are. I'm donna need someone with a color laser printer for decals though, and someone would need to ask Jabba to sign some certificates made by someone else.

So, for approx 125 euro for 2 cars 1:18 who would be interested :?:

TT
05-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Vercetti, there is nothing complicated in what Rico is offering: to create a simple limited edition. For sure it is not like having an official limited edition by Autoart or Minichamps, but it's tempting

Mr.Vercetti
05-26-2005, 06:38 PM
And where are you going to find the kits?.. If it was 1/43 then I would say that the BBR kits would be awesome, but in 1/18 I dont know which and if any compnay makes these 2 kits..

TT
05-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Wich kits? He will buy the cars and then modify it as far as I understood

RC45
05-26-2005, 11:50 PM
^^^^^^

I can make the Diablo and 355 excact replica of Jabbas cars in 1:18 for anyone whos interested. You know, yellow wheels, numberplates, exhaust and the 355 interior + maybe some other details. If there are enough people interested (say 10-20) I'll go find out what the prices and possibilities are. I'm donna need someone with a color laser printer for decals though, and someone would need to ask Jabba to sign some certificates made by someone else.

So, for approx 125 euro for 2 cars 1:18 who would be interested :?:

If this was a community effort then there must be ZERO profit in it for any party involved.

Besides - not knocking your skills as a model builder, but I would want to first see a bunch of close up photos of a $100+ custom 1:18th scale model before I spent a dime - and it better be museum quality for that price ;)

Otherise I would just build/mod one myself.

:)