PDA

View Full Version : Your overall thoughts on the effects of the new rules?

Sir_GT
03-07-2005, 01:27 AM
I wanted to see how it would actually work in a real race, and Melbourne was the perfect example. I've got mixed feelings about the whole thing, simply because Melbourne was one of the most interesting races I've seen in a long time... I'm just not quite so sure it was because of the changes, or because of the weather which fucked up qualifying.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else would agree, but somehow, because of the new rules, the entire race sort of lacked that 'spark' which exists in great races. There wasn't any spots of excitement in which you would actually feel the pressure and cheer your driver on. This was, IMO, very evident during the pit stops, where the whole thing was just so confusing, and with the tires not being changed, sort of anti-climatic.

Also, I question the whole 'retire = new engine' rule. I mean, if you didn't qualify that well, and the race is about to end, just do something stupid, and voila... you've got a fresh engine next week. I honestly felt that this was what was going through Michael's mind when he shunted Heidfeld. Although I think that the "points = two weekend engines" rule is a good idea, there are still a few loop holes to be sorted.

Thing is, Michael or no Michael, the whole race felt uneventful. There was none of that OMG HE'S COME OUT OF THE PITS AHEAD OF HIM!?!?!?! sort of feeling. It was all so ho-hum.

I do, however, feel that forcing the point-earning manufacturers to maintain an engine for two weekends is actually a good idea. It puts pressure on the top teams to consistently deliver, and in case of a fault, gives the lesser ranked teams a chance to take advantage. I just wonder if maybe the tire rule can be amended in a similar fashion.

Blah. I dunno yet. I thought the race had some "interesting" spots at best, but nothing really blood-pumping. I somehow feel that all the new rules sort of robbed the sport of the adrenaline it creates.

Anyway... what do you guys think?

ZfrkS62
03-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Frankly, i don't think the new rules have done a god damn thing. They were supposed to slow the cars down, but as you can see Fisichella set a 1:25, where Schumacher set pole last year at 1:24. Aero rules were fucked with in order to reduce downforce, but they weren't enough. Wings got grafted on in other places and after all was said and done, all but .5% of the downforce is back.

Engines are supposed to be 2 race weekend engines, in an attempt to lower power, but the engines are just as powerful, if not MORE powerful than last year.

Tires, obviously THAT idea didn't work as well as Max hoped. They nursed their tires for the first 15 laps then hauled balls all the way to the end. McLaren was the only team to see any real problem with the tires.

If they want to slow the cars down, why don't the try limiting redline? These engines spin so high that knocking their redlines down 5,000 RPM would knock down their power and top speed.

Toronto
03-07-2005, 02:30 AM
to be frank the Australian GP isn't the best of tracks to show off the new aero kits,
that said. the new rules mean nothing, and since you don't have to change tires look for team running with a full tank of gas and no stops in the race.

tekwar
03-07-2005, 07:56 AM
I do not like the idea of not being able to change tires in the race.
Also forcing the engine to last 2 races means a lot of the drivers will drive conservatively to preserve the engine for the next race. Same with the tires. This will mean a lot of the drivers will not drive hard just keep everything going fine. I think its a stupid idea in my opinion.

irrational_i
03-07-2005, 08:06 AM
My view is fairly simple.

The engine thing. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Same goes for tyres.
I have also never seen so many ugly little appendages on the cars.

I think this is going to be the worst year for GP as far as rules are concerned. 8/
As in all disciplines the people at the top should shut the F$%^ up and leave the rules and regulations to the people who know whats going on. The team bosses should decide on a format and Bernie and Max should go lie on a beach somewhere.

They make little difference and is less about racing. I am South African and a really keen GP fan, but have to admit to enjoying the Aussie V8's around Bathurst recently a lot more than the GP.
Proper racing.

ZfrkS62
03-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Bernie and Max should go lie on a beach somewhere

Don't you mean, UNDER a beach somewhere? :P It's time those two step aside and allow someone who still knows what is going on with the sport to take it in the directions it needs, vs. the directions they want!

CSL360
03-08-2005, 11:50 PM
I agree with the statements that others have made thus far, especially with mrmojo77’s statement. I don’t want to see 8 cars finishing, but I am fairly sure this will happen unless that loophole is fixed. There really isn’t a reason to finish the race if you are not finishing in the points.

That being said I feel that the new regulations are overall defeating the purpose of F1. IMO F1 is meant to the absolute pinnacle of motorsports, greatest innovations, performance etc. The new regulations seem to diluting what F1 is meant to be about in the first place.

Whether these new regulations were enacted to try to stop Ferrari's winning, I don’t know. But IMO it is the fault of the others teams of not keeping up with them. Hopefully some of the problems will be sorted out relatively soon.

phantomfocus
03-09-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't think you could visually see a difference in performance with the new aero rules. I was actually impressed with how the tires held up, the pace of the race was actually quite fast. But when a car comes to pit road do you really need 12 or so guys standing around looking at tires only to conclude that YEP! there still on! It's retarded to watch a pitstop. You can't expect to slow the cars down with a little wing tweak, and harder tires. With the way these guys advance technology, they have already gained it all back over the winter. I did like the idea mentioned earlier of a rev limiter, the engines with more power will still shine, but it will definitely affect the speeds.

Great speed changes are not going to occur until smaller engines make their appearance. Even then, I give that format 3 or 4 years and they will probably be close to where they are now. Racing today is just game of figuring out how to more with less.

jakaracman
03-09-2005, 04:09 AM
The engine thing: it's easy, you change engine (whatever reason, blowup included), you go 10 places back and/or lose points. No ifs, buts ... DTM has it solwed very well

SPEEDCORE
03-09-2005, 07:00 AM
That was easily one of the most boring racing in ages. I was there LIVE and I didnt feel anything. :( Even Schumie coming off it felt uneventful. It was great to see Fishi finally win but he won cause weather played a part(in qualifying) then he actually needing to fight. The most exciting was Alonso and Villi fighting alittle and Kimi trying to overtake MS early on but that was about it.

Maybe it was more exciting on TV...

Bring back old qualifying system, bring back seperate engines for qualifying and race and bring back SLICKS!!!

:D

T5
03-09-2005, 09:08 AM
But for FIA your afirmation represents: Bring back danger....

But I agree with you :wink:

kksh
03-10-2005, 07:42 AM
IT's fucked up. Pardon my french. The tyre rules most of all. They should get high grip tyres to go with the lowered downforce so people can pass. Now everyone just takes it easy not ruining the tyres and/or engine. and look at what happens when people do try and make a bit of a mistake. you take ages for your tyres to get back to temperature so it doesn't reward risk taking.

We need risk takers and should reward risk taking to make the race more interesting. Otherwise it's just a bunch of people driving procession laps. It's sad. really sad.

twboy1999
03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
yupp
the rules are fucked up.... max should go to hell

1. whats the point of using 2 qualifying section?? best example... if u are caught in the rain the first day... ur 2nd day qualifying wont improve ur position anywayz.. as we see on australian gp

2. 1 set of tires for the whole race? why... what if there is a crash.. and everyone get like 2 tire blisstered??? the rules only allow 1 tire to be changed..

3. they are doing these rules to make the sport more "safe" wtf... there is always danger envolve in racing.... these rules are just making f1lless of pinnacle of motorsport

4. i think there is enough passing on the circuits that have passing points.. there are only no passing when they are at a track , with no where to pass

i wonder how slow they will go next yr.. v8... 5, 6 sec slower a lap?? lol

is64fun
03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
1-slower
2-quiet unpredictable
3-a compatittive season (just a hope)
4-a victory for mclaren (a serious hope :))

Anonymous
03-12-2005, 05:07 AM
The 2005 regulations were aimed at reducing costs and increasing safety. Lap times at the opening race of the year in Melbourne indicated that lap times are in the region of 1.5 seconds slower than they were at the same time last year.

With the 20 racers forced to use the same set of tyres for qualifying and the race, it had been suggested that there would be a great deal more passing on track as drivers grapple with varying levels of grip. However, Nick Heidfeld for one believes that it is just as hard to pass this year as it ever has been and the reason is purely aerodynamics.

"You lose downforce when driving too close behind another car," Heidfeld told the WilliamsF1 web site. "Therefore it remains difficult," Heidfeld said.

The BMW Williams driver is of course talking of the 'dirty air' put out by each race car from the rear diffuser which in turn creates turbulence for the following car. It is an age old problem and particularly apparent at circuits which have a long fast final turn as the drivers are unable to tuck under the rear wing of their rival for the long main straight and therefore unable to make the pass.

"I suspect there won't be much of a change," Heidfeld continued. "Of course, as a driver I would like to see more overtaking. It would create a better show for the fans, too."

Very insightful comments, could not agreed more myself.

Sir_GT
03-12-2005, 12:01 PM
The 2005 regulations were aimed at reducing costs and increasing safety. Lap times at the opening race of the year in Melbourne indicated that lap times are in the region of 1.5 seconds slower than they were at the same time last year.

With the 20 racers forced to use the same set of tyres for qualifying and the race, it had been suggested that there would be a great deal more passing on track as drivers grapple with varying levels of grip. However, Nick Heidfeld for one believes that it is just as hard to pass this year as it ever has been and the reason is purely aerodynamics.

"You lose downforce when driving too close behind another car," Heidfeld told the WilliamsF1 web site. "Therefore it remains difficult," Heidfeld said.

The BMW Williams driver is of course talking of the 'dirty air' put out by each race car from the rear diffuser which in turn creates turbulence for the following car. It is an age old problem and particularly apparent at circuits which have a long fast final turn as the drivers are unable to tuck under the rear wing of their rival for the long main straight and therefore unable to make the pass.

"I suspect there won't be much of a change," Heidfeld continued. "Of course, as a driver I would like to see more overtaking. It would create a better show for the fans, too."

Very insightful comments, could not agreed more myself.

I disagree completely.

here's why. (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?p=368072#368072)