PDA

View Full Version : Need help with dual-channel memory!

aks
10-24-2004, 01:41 AM
i jus got a new mobo which has 2 normal ddr dimm slots (dimm 1 & 2) and 1 dual channel memory slot (dimm 3)

i have 2x256mb sticks and 1x512mb stick, and none of them are dual channel

the thing is, i put the 256 sticks in dimm slots 1 & 2, and the 512 in dimm 3 but the computer does not boot up, it is just dead with power running through but nothin on screen

is it cos i am not usin dual channel memory in the dual channel slot? i am gonna test it without usin that slot but i don't have my cpu at the moment as i gave it to a friend to test (refer to topic http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?p=279332#279332)

pls help! i can't figure out anythin else that could be causin this!!!

PaulGT2164
10-24-2004, 01:54 AM
i would say it is prolly because the one stick of memory isnt dual channel, the rate at which the memory is accessed and wrote is different on a dual channel dimm than a single channel dim

the single channel dim writes to one at a time whislt the dual channel alternates back and forth so that should be the problem

that and if you are testing without the cpu, the computer prolly wont boot anyhows
do you get any beeps when you turn it on, certain beeps mean certian things

5vz-fe
10-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Most dual channel system uses odd or even slots (ie...1,3 or 2,4) given the fact that u only have 3 slots, I say u should put 1 256 on DIMM1 and 1 on DIMM3 then the 512 put it on DIMM2.

Make sure also ur memory is compatible with the motherboard for dual channel mode.

I personally bought a dual channel kit from PQI (consist of 2x512MB) for my ASUS P4P800SE, they perform very well. ASUS specify the memory to be in 1&3 or 2&4 or 1&2&3&4.

aks
10-24-2004, 02:03 AM
none of my memory is dual channel as far as i know, it is a new mobo

i tested with the cpu when i had it, and the screen wouldn't even activate, not a single beep

PaulGT2164
10-24-2004, 02:05 AM
then its prolly the memory being non dual channel then =P

newer memory is alot more picky then older stuff

5vz-fe
10-24-2004, 02:27 AM
Try put the 512 on DIMM1 and leave the 2 256 out ...see if u can boot it up first.

If it boots up, go into the BIOS menu and check if Dual channel memory requires manual selection. If it does, enable it, take the 512 out and put in the 2 256, on DIMM1 and 3. Boot it up again.

aks
10-24-2004, 03:43 AM
k, will do

will have to wait till tuesday until i get my cpu before i do anythin

will post the outcome

thanks for all ur help anyway! :mrgreen:

crazidude
10-24-2004, 04:06 AM
What the hell is dual channel ram? If you mean 2 sticks of ram that come in a package together then those are just 2 sticks of ram that will be guaranteed to work in a dual channel setup. Any 2 sticks of ram should work if they're the same. ie. brand

And yeah I would suggest that you check how you put your comp together cause you said the screen wouldn't even turn on.

jamberl
10-24-2004, 06:37 PM
What the hell is dual channel ram? If you mean 2 sticks of ram that come in a package together then those are just 2 sticks of ram that will be guaranteed to work in a dual channel setup. Any 2 sticks of ram should work if they're the same. ie. brand

And yeah I would suggest that you check how you put your comp together cause you said the screen wouldn't even turn on.

Dual channel ram is faster than normal ram. However it normally has to be configured a certain way on the motherboard.

Aks, are you sure of your motherboard config? Ive never heard of that before? Have you checked out the manual? What board is it?

Also, if you do have dual channel ram, as far as I know, it can run single channel. This is what it will default to if it is not installed in the correct configuration. It will only run dual channel if installed in the correct way, which will be specified in the motherboard manual.

Make sure that when you install the chips, the clip fasteners on either side are in place. When I installed new ram, i was surprised at how firmly the chips need to be pushed down.....

crazidude
10-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Dual channel ram is faster than normal ram? What is this? I've never heard of it before. All I've heard of is dual channel memory controllers on either the chipset or the processor, and a package of 2 sticks of ram.

Garry
10-24-2004, 08:09 PM
well.. other than crazidude (who seems to have a clue at least), I suggest you all just take your computers to the store to get them fixed/upgraded or whatever :lol:

SFDMALEX
10-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Everybody except Craziedude in this thread are dumbass's. Damn people. You actually post as if you know what you are talking about but in reality you have no clue. This is real bad for the community. Ill talk to TT about some banning because bullshiting should not be tollerated. All of you will be denied access to the Ferrari forum. Think next time you post something like this.

AlienDB7
10-24-2004, 11:12 PM
You DON'T need dual channel RAM for dual channel to work. Basically what you need is to have the same type of ram (size, speed, etc) in slot 1 and 3.

Forget about putting in the 512M and put the 256M sticks in slot 1 and 3. If they don't work together, most likely they're not compatible. I'm using 2 separate stick of 256M ram purchased a year or 2 apart and they work together fine. Like what crazidude said, dual channel ram is no different from normal ram. They're just 2 identical dimm packaged together.

To make sure it's really ram problem, try to boot up with just 1 stick of ram. Unplug all HDs and other drives. Just wondering, are the fans and HDs running at all?

Fluxlo
10-24-2004, 11:49 PM
The only real advantage of dual channel ram packages is...chemistry (sorry, couldn't think of a better word...wait maybe compatibility would be a better word :D ). Selecting two sticks of ram from the same production batch will more likely work together without hickups then lets say two different sticks of ram. However you should be able to use any two sticks of ram for a dual channel setup (as Alien mentioned put them in slots 1 and 3). I don't have any experience with using different sized memory in dual channel so i can't really tell you if that'll work or not.

Also..with athlon xp's, dual channel does not make a world of difference in the performance department. you might be seeing perhaps a 5-10% increase in performance so if it means giving that up in order to get a properly functioning computer don't feel like you've really lost out, Athlon XP's are just not optimized for high bandwidth use like a Athlon 64 or a Pentium 4.

As far as getting your computer to boot up, logically the first thing you wanna do is figure out what the problem is (duh), so boot up your computer with the minimum amount of accessories and see if it works.

AlienDB7
10-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Yes, some ram doesn't work in dual channel mode but they're not very common. Not sure about the detail but it may be due to single/double side. I only buy generic (cheap) ram and never have problem with them. Buying all the name brand dual channel kit with heat spreader is just waste of $ unless you plan to overclock.

SFDMALEX
10-25-2004, 12:01 AM
The only real advantage of dual channel ram packages is...chemistry (sorry, couldn't think of a better word...wait maybe compatibility would be a better word :D ). Selecting two sticks of ram from the same production batch will more likely work together without hickups .

Another dumbass.

Here, have a trophy
http://www.davelevora.com/trophy.gif

Fluxlo
10-25-2004, 12:38 AM
For proof of the fact that any memory will work as dual channel memory

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_twinx_3200_memory.php

What is Dual Channel DDR?
One of the most mis-understood facts about dual channel DDR is "dual channel DDR memory". There is no such thing as Dual Channel DDR memory, however there is such things as Dual Channel platforms (or chipsets). There is nothing special within the memory itself that distinguishes that it can be used with Dual Channel or not. The motherboard is what distinguishes if the memory should run in dual channel mode or single channel mode. In order to take advantage of Dual Channel DDR you must fill the first two memory slots on your motherboard with two identical memory sticks. This is the reason why memory companies like Corsair packages two identical memory sticks. Here is how the Dual Channel DDR works:

a little snippet from Toms Hardware proving that SFDMALEX is too quick to jump to conclusions

http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040602/

The pairs are actually useful for dual-channel operation, as two individually acquired memory modules may originate from different batches and may thwart operation with ideal timings. Of course, users tend to resort to this paired memory option, as this is ideal for possible dual-channel operation, and also the price for an individual 1 GB DIMM is almost always undercut. Furthermore, DIM modules with 1 GB or more only seldom handle fast timings.

And another one from Neoseeker

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/11,16.html

What is Matched or Certified Dual Channel Memory?
Companies like Corsair, OCZ, and Mushkin produce what they call "dual channel" memory, or Dual Channel Kits. These are sold in pairs, so for instance you might buy a 512MB or 2x256MB Dual Channel Kit, which consists of 2 sticks 256MB DDR memory paired together by the manufacturer.

Companies don't just throw two sticks of RAM together to produce these kits, but they don't necessarily produce a totally different batch of RAM either. Testing or qualifying Dual Channel memory might involve something as simple as a QA technician booting up a pair of RAM in a Dual Channel motherboard and ensuring they work together under a set of conditions, or it could be more complicated, including so called "SPD" optimisations and even chip selection (we're inclined not to put much trust in the latter claims).

For your purposes, you should assume that Dual Channel memory is qualified through testing. Companies will claim that every pair of Dual Channel memory is tested prior to being packaged. Corsair memory is even packed with stickers using serialized numbers so you can easily find out which two modules were paired at the factory (OCZ on the other hand, have not been doing this as of the writing of this FAQ, and so if you buy multiple kits from OCZ you might not be able to distinguish which modules is matched with which).

Here, letme hand that award back to you, for being so shallow and thinking that your knowledge is absolutely correct. You're definately more deserving of it.

http://www.davelevora.com/trophy.gif

jamberl
10-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Maybe this will explain it for you:

http://www.buildorbuy.org/dualchannelddr.html

Once you've read your mobo manual and figured out what configuration your RAM must be in to be dual channel, go here:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

You can get a tool which will tell you all about your memory config, and wether it is running in dual channel mode or not.

aks
10-25-2004, 02:25 AM
LOL, i don't think many of u understand my problem

the problem is that i don't have dual channel ram, i have normal ram which is all compatible with eachother, but my new motherboard mite be tryin to configure it as dual channel and i am wonderin if that's why it won't boot up

:P

AlienDB7
10-25-2004, 05:57 PM

the problem is that i don't have dual channel ram, i have normal ram which is all compatible with eachother, but my new motherboard mite be tryin to configure it as dual channel and i am wonderin if that's why it won't boot up

Don't think you understand our answers ;)

What we're trying to say is, there's no difference between "dual channel" ram and normal ram. i.e. you don't need special "dual channel" ram to run in dual channel mode.

jamberl
10-25-2004, 06:58 PM

What we're trying to say is, there's no difference between "dual channel" ram and normal ram. i.e. you don't need special "dual channel" ram to run in dual channel mode.

Yeah thats right. If you read that url I posted it will explain it to you. Its all about putting the RAM in the correct config on your mobo. And even if you put it in the wrong config, it will still work, just in single channel mode instead!!

aks
11-04-2004, 04:35 AM

Yeah thats right. If you read that url I posted it will explain it to you. Its all about putting the RAM in the correct config on your mobo. And even if you put it in the wrong config, it will still work, just in single channel mode instead!!

LOL, boy i wish i had read ur posts properly before jumping to conclusions and sending away my cpu for checking

anyway, once i got it back and checked everything out i realised my problem was being caused by a psu connector not being connected to the mobo

it's one of those new type 12V connectors with only 4 wires, never seen them before

anyway, thanks for all ur help. problem is tho, i'm still not fully functional cos my wireless lan card is incompatibly with my mobo, hence leaving me offline for the last week until i can get a new card that will work or replace the mobo

for now am using an old laptop that i havegotten running to get on the net

anyway, thanks again for all ur help guys! :mrgreen:

5vz-fe
11-04-2004, 04:38 AM
no problem, I guess we all put water on a spot without fire ;P~