PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Using WinRar and Archiving Files

No.1
05-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Please help me with my problem.

I have a video that is 850MB, and i need to put it on a CD... my CD's are 700MB.

All i want to do is archive the file using WinRar, but by splitting it into about 5 or six parts I hope to burn it to two separate CDs.

Basically, i want to know ho to archive like you guys do when videos are hosted... ie. when we download a video in 10-15 parts and need them all to unpack the files.

I hope you understand my problem, and all i want is a clear step-by-step guide to doing this. Once again, please help me and thanks in advance. :D

Anonymous
05-14-2004, 03:19 PM
There is a wizard in winrar you simply select create a new archive in the win rar wizard,then select the file you want to archive. then in the options there is a space to type in the size you want the files split into

shown below

http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/v132/alsw123/win_rar_copy.jpg

the file size in in bytes so for instance 125mb is around 130,000,000 bytes (estimate)

No.1
05-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Oh right.. i can be such a dumbass... :roll:
I didn't realise there was a wizard... sorry

I'll try to do that now, thanks for the help AL123

Meanwhile.. if anybody else has a better way to do this quickly and efficiently, then post here :D

TT
05-14-2004, 04:41 PM
I always do the same as you ;) I split big files with Winrar :D

And be prepared to wait a little for a 800 MB to be splitted in 2 parts if you don't have a superfast processor ;)

No.1
05-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys.. it's very much appreciated.

AL123 - Your way works fine, thanks a lot.

TT - My 1.7GHz P4 took 22mins for an 800mb file, using 100% of the CPU with no other programs... is that about average, or a bit slower.

Only now do i realise what a great, useful and practical tool WinRar is :D

RC45
05-14-2004, 08:19 PM
DVD Burners at $89 pay for themselves in about 15 minutes... ;)

Anonymous
05-14-2004, 08:44 PM
DVD Burners at $89 pay for themselves in about 15 minutes... ;)

Especially with a blockbuster membership :wink: But i wouldn't know anything about that ( you ain't seen me right!! :wink: :lol:) I'm so glad i got my laptop with a dvd burner, it's only 2 speed but i reckon it takes me less than 2 hours to 'backup' a dvd so that isn't bad Well worth the investment IMO. BTW the DVDs i buy cost around 50p each and i've only have a couple that were no good out of about 75 so far!!

No.1
05-15-2004, 08:01 AM
RC45 If i bought an 8x DVD burner, how long will it take to back-up a 4.7gb disc?? i know that 1x = 1880kb/s but i'm lost from here on in :)

AL123 How do you copy a dvd straight from the box? Do you just use a duplicator in a program like nero?

Anonymous
05-15-2004, 08:05 AM
RC45 If i bought an 8x DVD burner, how long will it take to back-up a 4.7gb disc?? i know that 1x = 1880kb/s but i'm lost from here on in :)

AL123 How do you copy a dvd straight from the box? Do you just use a duplicator in a program like nero?

I use a free programme called dvd shrink to backup dvds after i've ripped the dvd onto my hard drive using dvd decrypter (also free). This is the easiset and most reliable way i have found. As the name of dvd shrink suggests it automatically compresses the dvd data to fit on the disc- personally i have never noticed any reduction in quality. More info here http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

BTW my 2x burner does the actual dvd in around 40-45 mins but you have to add processsing time onto that to estimate a total time to backup a dvd on my 2.8ghz laptop it takes me around 2 hours i think but to be honest once you've ripped the dvd onto the hard drive i just leave dvd shrink going and it will burn the dvd automatically so i just go and do something else! :)

No.1
05-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Cheers AL, i might just go and buy a Pioneer burner from dabs for about £65 :D