Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 07-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
st-anger
Regular User

Default SA Supertest: Corvette C6

...well, SORRY, "kinda late" is probably a very very wrong term but hope u understand that itīs been quite busy for me lately, so hereīs the promised C6 Supertest...

NS:

handling wise thereīs only a kinda small difference, better said improvement noticeable, resulting in the not that good lap time...
the compared to the spring rates kinda stiff dampers arenīt working really good to compensate the vertical movements of the body, so precise handling is again not possible. on the other hand it has no tricky or evil handling behaviour.

HHR:

although the C6 is a kinda big car it performs quite good at narrow HHR, under load it shows a very neutral handling behaviour, whenever the accelerator is applied too much the car soon tends to power-oversteer, nevertheless this can be controlled quite easily, although it is to say that is isnīt very good for a smooth line. performance of the brakes are good at the kinda demanding HHR.

acceleration/braking:

the clutch is working good and seems to handle the power quite well, nevertheless itīs a bit hard to actually find the right grip under full acceleration so even with TWO different cars the factory number of 4.1sec couldnīt be reached, 1.3 and 1.1 sec slower is kinda much and a bit dissapointing, maybe also due to the 40kg more compared to the C5. the gearbox isnīt working as precise as some may be used to, therefore the engine suffers a bit when it comes down to the felt performance. again, brakes are good with a max. de-acceleration of 11m/sē, 200 to 0 needs exactly the same time as 0-100: 5.2sec

aerodynamics:

reaching such a topseed is also because of the superb aerodynamics with a cd value of 0.29.
the C6 features no specific aerodynamics which is good for top speed but not that good for handling and aerodynamic performance, 54kg lift at the front and 28kg at the rear arenīt that good.

max. lateral gīs:

with 1.2g it is among its competitors without sport tires.
(nothing more important to add here)

36m slalom:

with the very big steering wheel and the good servo-support the C6 is very agile and direct through the slalom course. with "TC off" the car tends to kinda heavy load-cycle changes again resulting in a undefined and nervous handling behaviour.

110m evasion test:

just like with the slalom test only good results can be reached with a very sensitive accelerator foot, due to the kinda soft overall setup of the suspension thereīs some roll in the body but nothing to worry about, steering inputs are very responsive though.

wet handling:

due to the all-weather tires - so no semi slick or sport tires - wet performance is as expected, with "TC off" hte C6 perfectly follows the steering inputs and is very smooth at the grip limit, so no unexpected oversteering - again, a sensitive foot is required for a good time. wet braking is very good due to the early acting and perfectly trimmed ABS system.

verdict:

expectations were a bit higher to be honest, nevertheless not "dissapointing" at all, the C6 kept the solid, typical US-sports car character. it showed a very good overall performance even with such a "not very up to date" technology.

letīs hope weīll see the Z06 too
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Just_me
Regular User

I almost gave up on you ST-anger Glad to see you finally did it. Thanks

What car do they drive next time?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
sentra_dude

Whoa sweet! I always like to read what other country's besides America and England have to say about the Vette, and this seems like a really thorough test. 8)

Much thanks for the English synopsis st-anger!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
Schwalbe

Schöner Titel "US Luftwaffe" !

Thanks st-anger for this scan.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #5
st-anger
Regular User

uīre welcome guys - next oneīll be Maserati Grandsport
Porsche 911
Old 07-25-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
yg60m
Regular User

Thanks st-anger Another one to add to my collection And the Enzo should be tested soon isn't it ?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #7
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by yg60m
Thanks st-anger Another one to add to my collection And the Enzo should be tested soon isn't it ?
i think thatīs the question weīre all waiting for an answer...
as u know, some issues back HvS said that 2005 heīll get - better said "might" get an Enzo but personally i havenīt heared anything since then...

weīll see...
Porsche 911
Old 07-25-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
yg60m
Regular User

Ok, wait and hope ...