Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 PM   #31
nthfinity
Regular User

I know the word mate, and its meaning, BTW you made the same spelling mistake
hehe, i was talking about myself... just noticed you spelled it wrong
Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 PM   #32
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by Toronto
just to let you guys know, the automatic-trans supercar market is huge, if not bigger then the manual one.

bill gates was asked why doesn't he drive a ferrari or lambo, he says he doesn't know how to drive a 5-spd, so he will stick to his merc.

now that said, if gates wants to feel like he is driving a supercar but doesn't have to deal with a heavy clutch, and a powerfull engine (i bet most the people on this site couldn't get a clean launch in a supercar for the first couple of starts) he well but the paddle gear box, what is like 60% of ferrari sales are paddle shift? and now lambo have their e-gear.

and ford have.... er I will buy a F430

and JiggaStyles09 it is nice to know that you are backing up your ferrari bashing with a artical that gives the ferrari the top spot
Ok, let me get this straight...the fact that their is a large and growing poser market is a reason to support automatics in supercars? And one of your main reasons for picking the F430 is because it is more 'poser-friendly'? Are you serious? So what if most of the people on here couldn't get away cleanly on their first start in a supercar, I know there's a good chance I'd screw up, but who buys a supercar because it is easy to drive?

I am really surprised you think that is a short-coming of the Ford boys to have not included an essentially poser feature in their car. Yes, the F1 is great on the track and all that bullshit, but really, what it boils down to for SMG, e-gear, F1...is so people who either don't know how to drive a proper manual, or are too lazy, can own a Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever it may be. How many posers who were previously turned away because Ferrari's only had manuals now buy them because they can get it in F1? I'd bet a good lump of that 60%...

Sorry, but there is no way Ford sticking to a real manual is a mark against the car. For once they are showing that the car is serious and not for posers.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #33
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

alright fair enough. the GT gives the F430 a good "run for its money" so to speak. whether that impresses you or not is based on your own judgement.

so it doesnt slay the ferrai, it just moderately to severly agitates it
Old 07-20-2005, 12:04 AM   #34
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
so it doesnt slay the ferrai, it just moderately to severly agitates it
Yeah something like that
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:13 AM   #35
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
just to let you guys know, the automatic-trans supercar market is huge, if not bigger then the manual one.

bill gates was asked why doesn't he drive a ferrari or lambo, he says he doesn't know how to drive a 5-spd, so he will stick to his merc.

now that said, if gates wants to feel like he is driving a supercar but doesn't have to deal with a heavy clutch, and a powerfull engine (i bet most the people on this site couldn't get a clean launch in a supercar for the first couple of starts) he well but the paddle gear box, what is like 60% of ferrari sales are paddle shift? and now lambo have their e-gear.

and JiggaStyles09 it is nice to know that you are backing up your ferrari bashing with a artical that gives the ferrari the top spot
Ok, let me get this straight...the fact that their is a large and growing poser market is a reason to support automatics in supercars? And one of your main reasons for picking the F430 is because it is more 'poser-friendly'? Are you serious? So what if most of the people on here couldn't get away cleanly on their first start in a supercar, I know there's a good chance I'd screw up, but who buys a supercar because it is easy to drive?

I am really surprised you think that is a short-coming of the Ford boys to have not included an essentially poser feature in their car. Yes, the F1 is great on the track and all that bullshit, but really, what it boils down to for SMG, e-gear, F1...is so people who either don't know how to drive a proper manual, or are too lazy, can own a Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever it may be. How many posers who were previously turned away because Ferrari's only had manuals now buy them because they can get it in F1? I'd bet a good lump of that 60%...

Sorry, but there is no way Ford sticking to a real manual is a mark against the car. For once they are showing that the car is serious and not for posers.
Well I think Toronto started the whole thread with politics in mind. Not mechanics, I think we got carried away a bit. Although I did try to stick to politics by saying that I dont see a place in the market for it

As for F1. Well I would never pick it over a proper manual. Never.

But dont write it off as a poser tool.

If you want to go the aboslute fastest you pick the F1. Simple as that. I think its a great advance in gearbox technology.

But its 100% true. No poser will ever buy a proper manual. But dont think that all the F1 customers are posers. Many associate Ferrari specificaly with its F1 heritage and in F1 they use the flappy gears as we all know. If outright speed is all you want, you pick the F1.

And just to confirm the fact that I dont like F1s, here is a pic, I even race sims with a proper manual, but I do give the flappy gearbox credit for what it is.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:17 AM   #36
RC45
Regular User

Besides - it doesn't matter whether Ford met their goal with th GT or Ferrari their goal with the F430 or GM their goal with the Z06 or Porsche their goal with the GT3 RS... it only matters if the their people are who like, appreciate and enjoy the car.

That's it.

Nothing else matters

Trust me, by the time you graduate from 12 speed mountain bikes and hand me down Toyota Corollas - you either take the step of meeting a performance car desire and you buy one - any one - the one you enjoy and can afford... or you keep "dreaming" and driving your Camry while "pissing" on other peoples realities because you gaven't realized your dreams yet

In other words, when you buy you Lotus 7, or M3 or Z06 or Viper or 335 or GT or 550 or Diablo or Enzo - who fucking cares what anyone else says about the performance, fit, finish or price?

It doesn't matter.

When you are on the open road and enjoying car - it's not a race, it's not a competition - it's just YOU, the ROAD and YOUR CAR. That's all that matters.

Ask Jabba - see what he says about
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:20 AM   #37
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Is that bike comment aimed at me?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 AM   #38
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Is that bike comment aimed at me?
Hell no - That's what I used until I could afford my Yamaha RZ350YPVS..

We have all been there and done that dude...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM   #39
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by sentra_dude

Well I think Toronto started the whole thread with politics in mind. Not mechanics, I think we got carried away a bit. Although I did try to stick to politics by saying that I dont see a place in the market for it

As for F1. Well I would never pick it over a proper manual. Never.

But dont write it off as a poser tool.

If you want to go the aboslute fastest you pick the F1. Simple as that. I think its a great advance in gearbox technology.

But its 100% true. No poser will ever buy a proper manual. But dont think that all the F1 customers are posers. Many associate Ferrari specificaly with its F1 heritage and in F1 they use the flappy gears as we all know. If outright speed is all you want, you pick the F1.

And just to confirm the fact that I dont like F1s, here is a pic, I even race sims with a proper manual, but I do give the flappy gearbox credit for what it is.

I totally agree, it definitely has it's place, and its clearly faster. Also, I certainly don't think of all F1 customers as posers...all those guys using their 360CS's at track days certainly aren't, but unfortunately, the majority (or a large number) of F1 buyers are.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:43 AM   #40
SFDMALEX
Regular User

But keep in mind.

If it wasnt for the rednecks buying the Vette Coupes, there would never be a Z06.

If it wasnt for the posers buying the Ferrari F1s, there would be no Ferrari at all lol.

If it wasnt for the posers none of our favorite perfomance cars would exist. Because the posers provide the money to keep Ferrari, Porsche and in the Vettes case, the Z06 alive. Because its only very few of us real enthusiats who can afford these cars.

So shit, thank GM for making the Vette coupe with that auto option and Ferrari for having that auto button on the center console of their F1 cars or else we'd all be at a lawn mower forum right now lol.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:51 AM   #41
RC45
Regular User

....or else we'd all be at a lawn mower forum right now lol.
High performance racing lawnmower forum...

http://www.letsmow.com/

Old 07-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #42
666fast
Regular User

for one, gates owns quite a few 5-6 speeds from what ive heard... does he not drive them???
According to an old article I read at the barber shop (Popular Mechanics) Gates has one of the few 959's in the country.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:09 AM   #43
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
for one, gates owns quite a few 5-6 speeds from what ive heard... does he not drive them???
According to an old article I read at the barber shop (Popular Mechanics) Gates has one of the few 959's in the country.
He used his influence to help push through legislation that allows older non-emissions compliant cars to be imported and modded and used without having to be homologated and federally compliant.

I think it is 15 years - so his 959 stayed in storage from 1987 until 2002 when it was at last "legal" for US road use.
The new cats they use actually flow more than the stock ones and resulted in a little more power.

(that's the story paraphrased from memory)
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 AM   #44
gobs3z
Regular User

Can't you guys just give credit where it's due, Ferrari builds super cars for living and Ford can't even build a good economy car, but somehow with simple engineering and power, was able to keep up with a badge that only means the best in racing. Thats one hell of an accomplishment and take your nose out of Ferrari's ass .

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #45
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by 666fast
He used his influence to help push through legislation that allows older non-emissions compliant cars to be imported and modded and used without having to be homologated and federally compliant.

I think it is 15 years - so his 959 stayed in storage from 1987 until 2002 when it was at last "legal" for US road use.
The new cats they use actually flow more than the stock ones and resulted in a little more power.

(that's the story paraphrased from memory)
well In my last year in high school- some time ago, my teacher played tapes of Gates on a seattle radio call in show, and one person called in and asked what type of car he drives, and the answer i put out is the one he says, he prod does own the cars, but doesn't drive them as much as the other ones (mercs, bmw, jab)