Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Toronto
Regular User

Default Did Ford do what they wanted to with the GT?

They wanted to beat the 360/cs
well did they?

re-sale value of the ferrari is higher....
MPG is higher.... you can drive around in in low revs, but you can't turn the blower off on the ford
User friendlyness of the ferrari is better (available in auto, cargo space, those doors are bad for people with bad backs)
Did Ford take away any ferrari sales? now they are going to say they didn't build the GT to knock heads with Ferrari watch
Styling? well it is a big jump for the ford, but it is a toss up IMO the 360 is one of my least fav. ferrari to look at, but it is still amazing. mayb if it was a 60's ford gt40, but not the GT
On the Track? anyone have any GT ring times?

all in a the GT is a good car.. but still is missing alot
I don't think Ford should be happy about reaching their goals... cause I don't think they did
but I still want one, but I want a 430 more
Old 07-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well I couldnt believe that Ford wanted to beat a 6 year old car in the first place.

When they were making the GT I thought they were going to aim for the Enzo. So when the "Ferrari Vs. Ford" articles came out I was surprised...like honestly its like releasing an artcile saying "Z06 Vs. Boxster"

To me this car has no place in the market. It's too slow to beat the Enzo and it clearly cant be competition for the 360.

So Ford wanted to beat Ferrari. To bad there isnt a Ferrari for it to go against. :roll:
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Toronto
Regular User

they wanted to beat the 360, that was fords idea from the start, like the said on that show TLC show Rides
Old 07-19-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
bmagni
Regular User

i never got the idea of the GT, as SFD says, supposedly it was gonna go against the Enzo but then they saw it was too slow and faced it against the CS...
I guess they didnt do the car they wanted. Its a good car, but not good enough
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
Fleischmann
Regular User

This was no 2nd showdown, that's for sure...like back in the days when Ford successfully competed with Ferrari and won leMans for 4 consecutive years. This time it totaly didn't work out. And it's a shame...beacuse they had the perfect, reincarnated shape of the old car. Well basically it goes fast in a straight line and that's were it competes with the italian car. But when it comes to everything else it looses hands down. It's not beacuse it's bad, it's just that the CS does everything so much better, superior handling the best example.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
T-Bird
Regular User

well I think they did do what they wanted.
firstly the Ford gets decent mileage under normal conditions. 13/21 independently tested
versus 11/16 by the same people.
what does low revs and turning off the blower have to do with anything? the blower only makes as much power as the driver wants ie where the driver keeps the revs.
It's supposedly quieter inside than the 360
boohoo about the damn doors suffer through it.
cheaper to maintain
much, much rarer.
better looking
and apparently it can out handle the Ferrari aswell according to most every article on the 2.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
To me this car has no place in the market. It's too slow to beat the Enzo and it clearly cant be competition for the 360.
your joking right? clearly couldnt have been competition for the 360 why, because it completely trashed it in performance? yes i know it was an old car, step in F430.

how do you figure that the 430 doesnt compare to the GT? well it pretty runs neck and neck if not slightly edges that out as well (using the C&D article as reference). on performance alone it beat out the 430 in almost every department and had a faster track time. its pricing is similar i think it lists at 150k or so and the ferrari at 180k.

GT to the Enzo why? because your newest ferrari cant beat it in performance? :roll:
Old 07-19-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
your joking right? clearly couldnt have been competition for the 360 why, because it completely trashed it in performance? yes i know it was an old car, step in F430.

how do you figure that the 430 doesnt compare to the GT? well it pretty runs neck and neck if not slightly edges that out as well (using the C&D article as reference). on performance alone it beat out the 430 in almost every department and had a faster track time. its pricing is similar i think it lists at 150k or so and the ferrari at 180k.

GT to the Enzo why? because your newest ferrari cant beat it in performance? :roll:
Holy shit slow down buddy.

If you say that the GT is competition for the 360 then fine! Im glad for you. Fucking pathetic for Ford to compete with a 6 year old car with 100 less bhp. Quite the standarts they have

And were is this F430 Vs. GT article?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

article

If you say that the GT is competition for the 360 then fine! Im glad for you. Fucking pathetic for Ford to compete with a 6 year old car with 100 less bhp. Quite the standarts they have
im saying the GTs competition was the 360 and currently is the F430. right when the GT came out ferrari still hadnt come out with the 430 AFAIK so its competition at the time was the 360 by default and actually it had 150 less hp not my fault the ferrari was lacking.

currently though the F430 is the fords rival as i stated in my first post and the 430 is exacly even in performance on the track if not slightly edged out.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
SFDMALEX
Regular User

im saying the GTs competition was the 360 and currently is the F430. right when the GT came out ferrari still hadnt come out with the 430 AFAIK so its competition at the time was the 360 by default and actually it had 150 less hp not my fault the ferrari was lacking.

currently though the F430 is the fords rival as i stated in my first post and the 430 is exacly even in performance on the track if not slightly edged out.
Fine 150bhp then. Good. Ferrari lacking? So I guess the 911 turbo and a whole lot of other cars are lacking then? Thats were my "Has no place in the market" line comes in. Its significantly more powerful then the 400+ sports cars like the F430, Z06, 911TT...And its short to go against the hypercars...

Even then, it has an indentical time to an F430(which is running slow Bridgestones, not the optional faster Pirellis).

So in the end, it beat an an old outdated 360 and it couldnt beat its replacement. What can I say. Bravo Ford
Old 07-19-2005, 07:04 PM   #11
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

Default Re: Did Ford do what they wanted to with the GT?

Originally Posted by Toronto
They wanted to beat the 360/cs
well did they?

re-sale value of the ferrari is higher....
MPG is higher.... you can drive around in in low revs, but you can't turn the blower off on the ford
User friendlyness of the ferrari is better (available in auto, cargo space, those doors are bad for people with bad backs)
Did Ford take away any ferrari sales? now they are going to say they didn't build the GT to knock heads with Ferrari watch
Styling? well it is a big jump for the ford, but it is a toss up IMO the 360 is one of my least fav. ferrari to look at, but it is still amazing. mayb if it was a 60's ford gt40, but not the GT
On the Track? anyone have any GT ring times?

all in a the GT is a good car.. but still is missing alot
I don't think Ford should be happy about reaching their goals... cause I don't think they did
but I still want one, but I want a 430 more
resale value? i personally dont know but im sure you are right.

MPG? the blower doesnt hurt your MPG unless your in boost i dont think. and i think you took the top gear episode to seriously. the GT has the same if not better gas milage due to its tall gearing.

the doors suck? your probably right but who cares they look cool and its not like you have to climb in through the window.

ferrari sales? again your probably right but yet again im not too concerned with putting ferrari out of business.

cargo space? i guess you got it beat there too congrats.

user friendlyness? i guess since cars with a manual are so hard to drive. if you are deciding between these 2 cars and it comes down to......"well i have to shift the GT all the time, too much hassle" then by all means take the ferrari.

styling? completely subjective, i think both cars look great and its hard to call a winner there as ppl have different tastes.

so you have a winner based on resale, MPG, cargo room, and the "user friendlyness" of not having to drive a manual gearbox. bask in your infinite glory because i dont care.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #12
T-Bird
Regular User

this really is pathetic you Ferrari only girls are complaining about a car that was designed and released waay before the F430 was so how is that fair when using your argument of it beating an older car? yeah that's right shut up.
now If I recall all you haters back when the GT first came around you were all praising that it could beat the 360 and had to keep telling everybody but it isn't an American car it's British etc. etc. but now that the F430 comes around (And BTW C&D did a review of the 430 and GT and said the GT was a better car but the 430 was more livable) it's a piece of American garbage that doesn't seem to deserve it's existence.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #13
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

Fine 150bhp then. Good. Ferrari lacking? So I guess the 911 turbo and a whole lot of other cars are lacking then? Thats were my "Has no place in the market" line comes in. Its significantly more powerful then the 400+ sports cars like the F430, Z06, 911TT...And its short to go against the hypercars...

Even then, it has an indentical time to an F430(which is running slow Bridgestones, not the optional faster Pirellis).

So in the end, it beat an an old outdated 360 and it couldnt beat its replacement. What can I say. Bravo Ford
well yea the porsche is lacking (@415 for the 911tt) currently and the new 911TT will have about 500hp im sure so we will have to wait for the new model. and sorry the ferrari has crappy tires, i didnt make that decision.

i never said it was significantly more powerful than the F430 or the Z06, 50hp is not alot when you are talking close to 500.

and no it doesnt really "beat" its replacement (we could argue for days about which has better performance and get nowhere since they are so close) but it sure as hell doesnt lose either. its right on par with the benchmark of its class and the fastest ferrari currently on sale. i would see that as being a good thing and yes indeed congrats ford.

and you are seriously saying that its a bad thing that it has more horsepower than its rivals? i dont understand? i guess ford should detune it. i think its an accomplishment that people actually do compare it to the enzo and CGT even though it doenst compete with them.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
this really is pathetic you Ferrari only girls are complaining about a car that was designed and released waay before the F430 was so how is that fair when using your argument of it beating an older car? yeah that's right shut up.
now If I recall all you haters back when the GT first came around you were all praising that it could beat the 360 and had to keep telling everybody but it isn't an American car it's British etc. etc. but now that the F430 comes around (And BTW C&D did a review of the 430 and GT and said the GT was a better car but the 430 was more livable) it's a piece of American garbage that doesn't seem to deserve it's existence.
WTF Are you on about?

It beat an outdated 6 yeard old Ferrari.

You say the 360 is its competition? Fine. It is. Am I supposed to be impressed by the fact that a Ford the "Ferrari exterminator" beats a 6 year old Ferrari???

British?WTF? The original GT40 was half british not this one.

Now how is the GT a better car then the F430 if they lap the same time? Tell me please. What is it about the GT that is better then the F430s? It doesnt have half the techonolgy that the F-car does. It doesnt have a pure N/A engine. It doesnt have the noise, it doesnt have the quality. It doesnt even have an original style.(but it does look good, but so would an F430 with a 250GTO body work....)

So whats your point really?

The car has no place!

Saying it again. It doesnt have anything to beat the Ferraris best, it doesnt have anything to beat Ferraris latest entry class, all it can do is beat an old 360. Wooohooo great!

Seriously what is the arguing about? Whats your point?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

well yea the porsche is lacking (@415 for the 911tt) currently and the new 911TT will have about 500hp im sure so we will have to wait for the new model. and sorry the ferrari has crappy tires, i didnt make that decision.

i never said it was significantly more powerful than the F430 or the Z06, 50hp is not alot when you are talking close to 500.

and no it doesnt really "beat" its replacement (we could argue for days about which has better performance and get nowhere since they are so close) but it sure as hell doesnt lose either. its right on par with the benchmark of its class and the fastest ferrari currently on sale. i would see that as being a good thing and yes indeed congrats ford.

and you are seriously saying that its a bad thing that it has more horsepower than its rivals? i dont understand?
Fine, so it equals the F430. Does it beat it? No, does it lose to it? No.

So what did it really beat? Nothing. As I said, it beat up a washed up old car. Just because McBride beat Tyson does it make him a better boxer? Hell no, Tyson is old, way past his prime. Same shit here.

By saying that it doesnt have a place in the market I was actually trying to make it look better. Because if you do say it's competition is the Z06, F430, 911TT and the rest then shit, Im sorry, it doesnt beat any of them so it just another "fast car".

So the bottom line is. Who did it really beat to be so great? Nobody.

Ford came out and was saying that its a Ferrari slayer? Is it? Clearly not, unless ofcourse they like to beat up on outdated material.

So to answer Torontos original question. Did Ford do what they wanted to with the GT? No