Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 04-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #61
Sir_GT
Regular User

^^^ Maybe so, but I'm simply calling it like it is. I'm saddened by the accident and knowing some poor chap lost his life in it, but I can't help but think that he would've probably survived if he was in a better built car.

IIRC, 5th Gear did a crash test episode where they pitted a very small car (not sure if it was the Smart car or the A-class) against a very big car (I think it was the S-class), and the small car still came out pretty much intact... i.e. the main occupancy shell had not crumpled.

You think an American car would've survived that? No way mate. Imagine an SL meeting with a new Corvette... both sports cars, both 2-seater roadsters, both with the engine in front... but the SL's driver will probably walk away, whilst the Corvette driver may become part of the upholstery.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:48 PM   #62
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by sndr
I'll hope that it doesn't looks to much like an cheap Maybach rip-off
That is exactly what it will look like.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #63
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
^^^ Maybe so, but I'm simply calling it like it is. I'm saddened by the accident and knowing some poor chap lost his life in it, but I can't help but think that he would've probably survived if he was in a better built car.

IIRC, 5th Gear did a crash test episode where they pitted a very small car (not sure if it was the Smart car or the A-class) against a very big car (I think it was the S-class), and the small car still came out pretty much intact... i.e. the main occupancy shell had not crumpled.

You think an American car would've survived that? No way mate. Imagine an SL meeting with a new Corvette... both sports cars, both 2-seater roadsters, both with the engine in front... but the SL's driver will probably walk away, whilst the Corvette driver may become part of the upholstery.
Take my car and run it into a 3-series and I would probably rip right through the center of it. Actually I've seen that a Mustang pretty much took the front off a 330 and the Mustang was in better condition.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:02 PM   #64
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
Originally Posted by Sir_GT

Take my car and run it into a 3-series and I would probably rip right through the center of it. Actually I've seen that a Mustang pretty much took the front off a 330 and the Mustang was in better condition.
You wouldn't rip right through it, most likely you would cause a huge dent on the side... whether or not your car would protect you is a different matter.

As you said, the Mustang took off the front end of a 330. No surprise, as that's what the front end of German cars is designed to do in the event of a crash - take the full force of the impact, and protect the occupants.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #65
Anonymous

so whats this discussion turned into?? we should all drive cars based on their ncap rating??? you know that even with that rating you can still drive like a tool! Now i'm not saying that i don't have any sympathy cos i don't know the absolute facts of the incident, but people will still get hurt and killed on the roads for a long time to come

Oh and safe cars are boring

***EDIT*** sorry but i've just seen the pics on that website, this guy is a SICKO, taking pictures while the emergency services are still working to free people from the ford!! I think they have enough to worry about without having to think of people taking pictures of the victim :roll:
Old 04-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #66
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
so whats this discussion turned into?? we should all drive cars based on their ncap rating??? you know that even with that rating you can still drive like a tool! Now i'm not saying that i don't have any sympathy cos i don't know the absolute facts of the incident, but people will still get hurt and killed on the roads for a long time to come
I made a comment about American cars being crap when it comes to protecting occupants, and then somebody from America said that his mum's Ford would rip through a 1-series.

I don't think he knows that the 1-series isn't sold in America.

...or that the 1-series has a 5 star NCAP rating, and is actually about the same size as a full sized (E46) BMW.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #67
T-Bird
Regular User

umm the 1-series will be sold here but not until the 2006 MY so maybe if I come across some Money I will buy one and run a Crown vic right into it just for you. And BTW the US does have ratings aswell and most Ford's have 5 star ratings.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:16 AM   #68
numerouno
Regular User

[quote="Sir_GT...IIRC, 5th Gear did a crash test episode where they pitted a very small car (not sure if it was the Smart car or the A-class) against a very big car (I think it was the S-class), and the small car still came out pretty much intact... i.e. the main occupancy shell had not crumpled....[/quote]
1. It was a smart against an e-class, and if you remember that episode, later they smashed a smart and a corsa against a concrete block and both took the shock pretty well with minimum damage to their passenger comp.; however you may also remeber that based on the damage to the CTD, the conclusion they drew was pretty shocking: no matter how big or well built your car is, you will most probably die when your car's speed suddenly comes to a halt from very high speeds like a hundred (mph) or so cause your internals won't take the impact.... bottomline: drive slowly if you're so afraid to die!
2. as you see the S got the Ford a little to the driver's side, so no wonder the blow was fatal to the ford guy.
3. Everyone's free to buy whatever car he likes; other people's opinions are only for themselves!
numerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:18 PM   #69
sndr
Regular User

More new S-class Spyshots

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery...s/s-class.html

:arrow: Preview