Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-25-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
Flawless

Default ATTENTION ALL PORSCHE EXPERTS!!!

I wanted to know what was the difference between water cooled and air cooled engines of the 911. Why were die hard fans mad by the change?
I dont know much about this and wanted to learn from porsche experts.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
st-anger
Regular User

when i was working in weissach i`d been lucky ( ...or industriously ) enough to drive both, the 993TT and the latest 996TT.
for sure the 996 is technically simply the better car, more than 70kg lighter, better handling, better gas mileage, the engine is more powerful and reliable, comfort....
:arrow: BUT..... the die hard fans simply love the 993 shape!!!
haven`t you read my post on racflix about the upcomming Porsche modells??? thats exactely what Porsche is up to...back to the 993 shape...
but to your question, it`s not mainly the shape that the real fans are mad of...it`s the sound!!! no other engine sounds like a Porsche 6cyl. boxer air cooled engine... i can`t describe you the difference, you just have to hear it and you know what i mean. it`s the unmistakable roar of the air cooled boxer engine. and when you have driven both, i think you`d stick to the 993 too.....
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Flawless

Default THANKS

I prefer the 996 look and dont think that the new porsche should take that route but now i understand the whole air cooled and water cooled debate now, thanks. I might be able to hear a sound clip on the official porsche site of both cars.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:58 PM   #4
Flawless

Default link for sound clips of porsche 993 and 996

here is a link from the official porsche site that shows the difference from a nice deep air cooled engine and a tame water cooled engine
Old 07-25-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
Flawless

Default here it it

forgot to put it up,

http://www3.porsche.com/english/usa/home.htm
Old 07-27-2003, 07:00 AM   #6
draak666
Regular User

Don't expect too much from the sounds on that website. I used them in my quiz (in the trivia section) and if you read the thread, you'll understand how difficult it is to recognise the sounds without knowing in advance what car it's from.

PS: The links won't work anymore.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote