Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Ferrari back Massa for the championship title
Yes. Massa has been the better and more consistent driver in the last few races. 26 50.00%
No. Raikkonen has shown that he is still very fast. Check the fastest laps of each race. 18 34.62%
Who cares? McLaren will beat them anyway. 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default Should Ferrari back Massa for the championship title?

The standings:
Hamilton 70pts, Massa 64pts, Raikkonen 57pts, Kubica 55pts
12 races down, 6 to go

2007 World champion Kimi Raikkonen has been struggling in the last few races scoring only 14 points in four races (Massa only scored 16 points but it could have been different had his engine survived the last 3 laps of Hungary). His last win came in Barcelona back in April. He's had some bad luck including the exhaust problem in Magny-Cours which cost him victory, the pit lane shunt in Montreal and just recently the engine failure in Valencia. Yes, there's only a 7-point gap between the two Ferrari drivers but Massa has outqualified Raikkonen in the last four races. The Finn admits that qualifying has indeed been a problem. Some people are also speculating that Raikkonen no longer has the drive to compete as he has already achieved his goal of becoming world champion.

During the first half of the season, it seemed that Ferrari was certain to take home the championship. But now, the team is just 8 points ahead of McLaren. Lewis Hamilton meanwhile remains on top of the drivers standings and clearly, McLaren are fully backing him for the title. With Raikkonen's unsolved problems, relatively poor results and questioned drive, should Ferrari solely back Massa for the championship title? Massa has been more consistent and faster in qualifying and able to deliver results (except in the wet of course).

They will not admit it, but I think that the team are starting to reconsider who's #1. The next race is at Spa, where Raikkonen has won three consecutive races (2004, 2005 and 2007). If he can win this race, perhaps the balance of power in Ferrari may restore.

Last edited by blue8; 08-29-2008 at 12:47 PM.
blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

The mechanical problems are hitting Ferrari wayyyyy too often
Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Pokiou
Regular User

and what makes it funnier that the same engine is in the Rebulls and they seem fine ... hmm .
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
SHIZL
Regular User

same engine i doubt the exact same,i really doubt them allowing the red bulls to have as much as the factory team, backing massa as far as having kimi back off spa i dont know but as of the last race with kimis retirment i think that most important thing for them is the constructors then the drivers. i think ferrari is gettin tired of dealing with these inconsistent drivers so i wonder if they will back them after this year
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
styla21
Regular User

Some of you guys are straight up high.
Kimi is consistent. The only significant error Kimi has made this year was in Monaco - rear ending Sutil in the wet.

Engine failure, Hamilton-pit-lane incident, exhaust bursting out the engine-canopy is just bad luck.
He's due for a run of good luck, and I would definitely not be writing him off for the season.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
dr vinyl
Regular User

Hiya,Ferrari have always been very quick to put there drivers down & to put them under presure.
In the case of Kimi Raikkonen.IMO the honeymoon is over..
I dont think Ferrari can tell him what to do or Intimadte him to perform better.
GAMEOVER
In the Case of Massa I think hes already shown us he wants to be word Champion &
if his engine hadnt let go in the Hungarian GP....well it did so hes got all to do.
But hes a team player...last year he supported KIMI at the end of the season..

dr vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #7
dr vinyl
Regular User

I imagine that what Torro Rosso have is last years Ferrari engine.

But what RedBull have is a Renault engine..
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

Yeah, I picked yes, because he seems to be in better form, but, both are consistent. In fact, Raikonnen has rarely actually put a foot wrong. Any driver could have hit the oil spill at Monaco. I still think Massa is in the box seat for the championship with regard to Ferrari, though.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
spongebob
Regular User

I dont think you can count Raikkonen out until he's out of it - i mean last year he was 17 down with 2 races to go and still won it - so 13 down with 6 left is still possible.

Plus with there engine reliability up in the air, they should keep both drivers going for it until its remedy'd - they wouldnt want to back Massa now and have him incur more engine trouble in say Japan and China when Kimi would be out of it.

Personally i'm a Lewis/McLaren fan but im loving this battle between them all and right now i wouldnt want to back any of them or count any of them out. I've never been Massa's biggest fan over the years but this year, first 2 rounds and GB aside, he's been outstanding.
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
sprakzilla
Regular User

Bmw is gonna take it in 2009, kubica kubica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sprakzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
dr vinyl
Regular User

Yeah MATTK your right.
Did you see Massa before the Hungarian GP.
I would say Hes taken the bate with regards to Ferrari & the Media.
On Race day he took off ...
Like 5vz-fe said
mechanical problems are hitting Ferrari wayyyyy too often
Conspiracy or Bad luck...

Im happy to see Hamilton or Massa as world champion so far this year
they seem to be working hard.

(Some people are also speculating that Raikkonen no longer has the drive to compete as he has already achieved his goal of becoming world champion.)

I think its best to ask Raikkonen that question.....
Old 08-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
bigsexy
Regular User

It's tough for Raikkonen to throw in the towel being he is kind of close but to be honest he has been shakey since the beginning of the season it seems as though he isn't comfortable in the car while massa is in a good sync. Either way its hamiltons championship to lose Both haven't been super reliable but Massa seems to be back on his game aside for a bit of engine trouble.
bigsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
sameerrao
Regular User

I've been thinking a lot about this recently. Last year it was about this time that Ferrari placed their bets on Raikkonen and put Massa in a supporting role.

This year Raikkonen is not as dominant as was expected. Felipe made terrible mistakes in 3 races but otherwise has generally matched or out-performed Kimi particularly in the last 3 months.

Kimi has done very well at the high speed / low downforce circuits like Canada, France and out-performed Felipe in rained out races. Massa has done well at his fave tracks: Turkey, Bahrain and also improved at driver's circuits like Monaco.

Here's how I think the two Ferrari drivers will perform in the next 6 races:
Spa: Definite advantage Kimi (high speed track)
Monza: Slight advantage Kimi (high speed track)
Singapore: Definite advantage Massa (expect Kimi to suffer in qualifying getting heat into his tires)
Fuji: Slight to large advantage Kimi (will it rain again?)
Shanghai: Slight advantage Kimi if it rains again. Otherwise both drivers have equal chance.
Brazil: Sure win for Massa

Even if it does not rain in the next 6 races, then Kimi has a slight advantage over Felipe. if it rains, Kimi is the man.

Kimi has to win Spa or else Ferrari might lose hope in him and put their resources behind Felipe.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
Pokiou
Regular User

Someone mentioned that Kimi is due to luck.. Im sorry but racing is not about luck.. its about skill.. I like kimi but he just doesnt cut it at ferrari.. Howd he win a championship well that was thanks to FIA's help.. nothing more..
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Pokiou
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this recently. Last year it was about this time that Ferrari placed their bets on Raikkonen and put Massa in a supporting role.

This year Raikkonen is not as dominant as was expected. Felipe made terrible mistakes in 3 races but otherwise has generally matched or out-performed Kimi particularly in the last 3 months.

Kimi has done very well at the high speed / low downforce circuits like Canada, France and out-performed Felipe in rained out races. Massa has done well at his fave tracks: Turkey, Bahrain and also improved at driver's circuits like Monaco.

Here's how I think the two Ferrari drivers will perform in the next 6 races:
Spa: Definite advantage Kimi (high speed track)
Monza: Slight advantage Kimi (high speed track)
Singapore: Definite advantage Massa (expect Kimi to suffer in qualifying getting heat into his tires)
Fuji: Slight to large advantage Kimi (will it rain again?)
Shanghai: Slight advantage Kimi if it rains again. Otherwise both drivers have equal chance.
Brazil: Sure win for Massa

Even if it does not rain in the next 6 races, then Kimi has a slight advantage over Felipe. if it rains, Kimi is the man.

Kimi has to win Spa or else Ferrari might lose hope in him and put their resources behind Felipe.

I think your way off the mark here.