Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #16
TopGearNL
Regular User

so all in all probably an estimated 2000 euros?? meh that's too much for a student
Exactly the reason why I don't have it :cry:
Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by MidEngine4Life
Sounds to me like your baseing immersion on a steering wheel and resolution.
I just got back from driving my real car... the immersion was completed by

a.) The realistic and full sized 540* plus rotating steering wheel, tactile feedback pedals and stick shift.

b.) The photorealistic dynamic environments.

Forza1 was a novelty at best - sure the "realistic physics" was there - bu t you had to use a controller to "experience" the "emmersion" - in otherwords, your imaginaiton filled in the gaps, and that immaginaiton for many palyers is fake based soley on movies and TV

The "customization" in FM! (and in FM2) is no better/different that the "customization" in GT3/GT4 - in other words, it it simply tapping a series of variable tables to alter the behaviour of a set of standard mathematical models built inot the game engine.

After you have raced online ten times, earned the in game credits, unlocked the cars, painted a few decals - FM1 (and FM2) will get boring.

Some people thrive on the idea of "online rcaing" with hand held controllers (the PGR123 factor is what I call it ) - but the rest actually want a "driving" experience.

You dont drive with a "joystick" - you drive with a proper wheel - and over each generation, the PSx GTx + Logitech wheel setup has been 10 steps ahead of the competition.

If you can get past the terrible sound effects, lack of customization and online modes then more power to ya.
Many of the sounds in FM1 sucked just as bad as GT3/GT4 - each hads some gems that were spot on as well.

Again, those that want to "drive" get their enjoyment form - well, driving - and having both the M$ crappy wheel and the G25, can tell yuo, it doesnt matter how well FM2 is "progarmmed to get the best form the wheel" it just will noever feel the same - because to get the right feel of a wheel fighting you as you hand over hand coutnter steer a rabid EVO around a downhill 25mph hairpin bend, you need a proper 540* + leather bound wheel to go through your hands and spin back as you power around the turn.

That is something FM1 (and now FM2) will never have.

And that is waht completes the immerison - damage, mods and online crap does add anyhting at that point - its actually more of a distraction

GTHD is fun and very pretty dont get me wrong, but its the same game we've had for years. Forza 2 will sell more because its a more in depth, different experience and lets face it. Far more people own an Xbox 360
Forza2 is no more "deep" than FM1 was - and M$ dreams of one day selling more XBox360s than sony is going to sell PSx's
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #18
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

You make some valid points but unfortunately im sure a lot of people out there wont feel the same way. I agree when it comes to the playstation and racing you need a steering wheel. That PS controller has always sucked for racing and fps, but I have so much fun in PGR3 with just the 360 controller. I feel immersed and its not even a realistic game.

If I make one more point though. Does GTHD run at 1080p? I have Formula One Championship Edition and Motorstorm and both of these games only support up to 720p :roll:
Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Yeah I know - there are always folks with opposing views - but I am a "racing/driving" game fanatic - I haveevery console/game/platform/wheel that was pretty much ever made in the last 20 years... so I see both sides - but that wont stop me from vocally expressing my dissapointment.

Especially considering the year is 2007 and and the XBox360 / FM2 will barely be the same as a 2000/2001/2002 high end PC simulation/game - and all this with no support for a proper wheel...

Thats my biggest gripe... no decent wheel on XBox anything.

There are a number of fantastic XBox driving games - that with a wheel woul dbe amazing... and I am not even talking about NFS or the PGR franchises.

Oh - and GTHD is 1080p all the way

ANd the best I can get from the XBox360 on the HDTV is 1080i (although it matters not, since everything I have for the XBox360 maxes out at 720p anyway)
Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Its funny. PGR3 is the only 360 game I have that doesnt support 1080i. Oh well. maybe someday they will come out with with a decent wheel and support. Thats the beauty of xbox live and microsofts money. I was so happy when they changed the original xbox's controller. I just wish sony would release that original boomerang controller concept. It looks stupid but it would function so much better than the current controller
Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #21
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Forza1 was a fun gimmick at best.

It was always lacking something, and even though I finished it - the lack of a proper wheel always had it being an online gimmick.

Forza2 is going have the same problem, because without a mature wheel it can never rise above neat novelty game - no matterhow much "simulaiton' they try code into it.

Forza never had the "emmersion" value o f even GT3 or 4.

Thsi si where Gt5 will blow Forza2 outof the water - because if the "immersion" nature of GT5 in its demo form (which is really not GT5, but rather Gt4HD) then FM2 has a long way to go

Just completed doign a session of GTHD with the G25...

And the sheer pleasure of feeding proper steering inputs into and receiving proper steering feedback from the game is something that silly M$ wheel will never give.

Not to mention the 1080p visuals, the solid wheel models, the dynamic environement - even without damage, the experience is exilirating.

Thats what FM1 and FM2 will probably lack - charisma
Sounds to me like your baseing immersion on a steering wheel and resolution. If you can get past the terrible sound effects, lack of customization and online modes then more power to ya. GTHD is fun and very pretty dont get me wrong, but its the same game we've had for years. Forza 2 will sell more because its a more in depth, different experience and lets face it. Far more people own an Xbox 360
hence why his arguments are always about 1080p and the G25 wheel. It seems the way the arguments are that a game could be like Need For Speed and arcade-like, but because it would support 1080p and the G25, it would be GOD!

IMO there isnt a big enough difference between 1080p and 720p to argue about it. There is however, a HUGE price difference. My brother has a 720p DLP TV, and I'll tell you what, the XBOX 360 looks AWESOME on that TV, so not having 1080p dosnt bother me.

Whatever, to each his own, nothing out of my day :bah:

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #22
ViperASR
Regular User

Oh, BTW, why are we comparing games that havnt even come out yet? People are talking about how one will be better then the other, when one is still in development, and the other isnt due for 2 months...

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR
hence why his arguments are always about 1080p and the G25 wheel. It seems the way the arguments are that a game could be like Need For Speed and arcade-like, but because it would support 1080p and the G25, it would be GOD!
Bull - I am actually basing my comments on the fact that no matter how "realistic" the physics is claimed to be, the lack of ANY proper wheel - means the "real physics" argument is actually moot - because you dont drive a real car with a joystick or a controller - how can you POSSIBLY evaluate the "physics" of the engine if you are basing the comments on your "imaginary" response to the physics engine.

You can actually only critique the "reality" of the physics when you experience the game with a force feedback wheel - anyhing else is not OBJECTIVE impressions but SUBJECTIVE based on how you imagine the realism to be.

IMO there isnt a big enough difference between 1080p and 720p to argue about it.
Then you have never seen them compared back to back - that argument is about as inane as saying "Why change your windows display from 800x600 - its basically the same as 1024x768 - youc an't even see the difference."

There is however, a HUGE price difference. My brother has a 720p DLP TV, and I'll tell you what, the XBOX 360 looks AWESOME on that TV, so not having 1080p dosnt bother me.
The price difference between 720p and 1080p on an PC display is zero $ - so do the comparison there if you have to.

Whatever, to each his own, nothing out of my day :bah:
Yet you felt compelled to respond?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Oh, BTW, why are we comparing games that havnt even come out yet? People are talking about how one will be better then the other, when one is still in development, and the other isnt due for 2 months...
Because the devs of FM2 have been making all sorts of claims and showing "previews" trying to hype their product - yet we already KNOW the deficiencies.

We have seen the 3D models.

We have seen the demo reels - we have read the statements about on-track car reductions, lack of proper wheel support etc etc.

This is ho wwe know.

Butmost of all, we have already TRIED out the GTHD demo - and it is very good for a demo of a title that is at least a year away.

So we have a chance to compare how the features that FM2 is NOT going to support are shaping up against features that the demo of GTHD already supports.

Thats the reality - M$ and Turn10 came up short
Old 03-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #25
Svensson
Regular User

Does GTHD have clutch support yet? If not, any news about GT5 concerning the left pedal? I already have the G25 (mostly for GTR2) and plan to buy a PS3 in the future and it would be great if it was fully supported.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #26
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson
Does GTHD have clutch support yet? If not, any news about GT5 concerning the left pedal? I already have the G25 (mostly for GTR2) and plan to buy a PS3 in the future and it would be great if it was fully supported.
No clutch support - just switch to sequential mode and be on your way

3 pedal support would be an easy addon, especially if they were planning on having a mapable clutch button.

But fo the "immersion effect" of a 3 pedal car, just clutch as you shift - Forza2 drivers will need to be doing that to get the full effect of driving the "fantastically modelled" 1969 Camaro SS with the paddle-shift M$ wheel
Old 03-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #27
Svensson
Regular User

Lol and thanks for the info 8)
Old 04-24-2007, 03:39 AM   #28
racingfreak
Regular User

Anyone in here ranked in the top 10 in the european ranks? If yes, what is your name? Ive been as high as 6th in drifting with the lancer evo 9 and 9th with the 599gtb in time trials (username: racingfreak1) And then another question do you guys use a steeringwheel or controller? Steeringwheel has alot of understeer but controller has no FFB!!!

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S
2003 Mercedes Benz ML 270 CDI
2005 Mercedes Benz A 180 CDI
2006 Mercedes Benz CLS 500
racingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 AM   #29
RC45
Regular User

Controller is "easier" to achieve 'records" - steering wheel is to me a lot more rewarding.

GTHD and the G25 are a match made in heaven, even in demo form.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #30
racingfreak
Regular User

GTHD and the G25 are a match made in heaven, even in demo form
Well, looks like I then have to part with my well earned money and invest it in a G25!

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S
2003 Mercedes Benz ML 270 CDI
2005 Mercedes Benz A 180 CDI
2006 Mercedes Benz CLS 500
racingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote