Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default Logitech G25 & Playseat Cockpit

I got a G25 on Saturday - the best PC peripheral ever.

And a PlaySeat Racing Cockpit Seat 2 weeks previously - It all happened by accident really - one day we were working on the Zero to 60 magazine and the next thing I knew we were standing around filming some guys driving in front of a widescreen flatpanel TV as we began filming the pilot of the Zero to 60 TV/Video/DVD show... (<-- news scoop )

So, anyway, while we were filming the video game sequences, someone commented how "It would be cool if these things had clutches and H-gate hifters"... so I replied, in true geek fashion "Logitech has a G25 with blah blah blah specs fancy buzzwords blah blah..."

But of course to driving game fans the presence of a clutch and H-gate has always been a desire that one had to pay dearly for - only he best custom made controller included them, and even then, they are not PS2 compatible.

So there I was at Fry's Saturday - when they are unpacking a bunch of G25's - I did not know they were even available yet - and they were a surprise delivery as well - with supposedly 2 month backorder.

Well - new gadget, 2 month backorder and the "low price" of $299.00 meant it was not really possible to go home without one.

So, add this to this:

and this:

And you can see you can have some serious fun

This peripheral is the best made PC (and PS2) add-on ever.

Period.

Bar none.

It is so well made, with the leather and the polished metal foot pedals and the brushed aluminium paddles and the leather booted shifter and all, that it even ahs a new car smell

It seriously makes the Logitech DFP look toylike.. (well only because of the crappy pedals the DFP has - The Logitech Momo Ferrari wheel has some of the same metal bits the G25 has - so they could have made the DFP this good if they wanted to)

I can imagine they will have a special GT5 edition with fancy leather and engraving etc - but it will probably (I hope) be the same wheel.

Playseat
This this is awesome - at $245.00 it wasn't that cheap, but if you ever want to introduce Console or PC driving "games" to non-gamers and convince them these are "simulations" not games, you need a seat setup like this so they will take you seriously

The frame is pretty solid and the seat seems well made and decent wearing for now - the wheel mount is sturdy enough to take the abuse that a DFP driver delivers - but the dual motors of the G25 actually rock the stand a litte - but that adds to the "ambiance"

The foot plate was designed with the DFp in mind, and the G25's huge solid pedals need an extra clamp to keep them in place - Velcor just doesnt cut it.

The seat folds up for storage, so when your girlfriend/wife/mom gets home you can give her the living room back when you are done

Those of you living in your parents basements may want to just setup the thing downstairs as it is pretty bulky to keep carrying around

The G25
Oh boy - wow - amazing - dammmmmnnnnn.

Actually, to let give you an idea of just how good this thing is, I reinstall GTR and GTL and got around to trying out GTR2.

The added realism of wrestling a BMW CSL around Laguna with a clutch to add to the mix is unbelievable.

The newfound ability to either double clutch or heel and toe (Thanks SDFMALEX for showing me the missing config ) at will as you wrestle a car around the North Loop - or the added "fun" off being able to shift from 5th to 3rd as you negotiate the chicane at Donnington...

... and then accidentally mis-shift to 4th instead of 2nd as you drive out and get passed by a Lotus... in your Mosler is awesome.

The wheel offered almost as much enhancement to the PS2 games... except not having a clutch now bothers me hehe

I simply leave the shifter in H-gate mode and go through the "gated motions" even though it's a sequential shifter on the PS2.

The other awesome feature is that the brake, gas and clutch all ahve dfferent spring strengths.

Of course, the "next ultimate controller setup will be force feedback gear box and brake pedals.

That way wif you miss time the clutch, the shifter wont select a gear and as the race progresses your brake pedal might get mushy - but what we ahve today is awesoe...

..especially for the price of $299.00

It's a bit cheaper than the current crop of "super custom controllers" and it's PS2 compatible.

This is my current setup

Close-up pf the Wheel, SHifter and Pedals

Highlighting the differences between the G25 and the DFP - not the change in pedal plate size - too big for the race cockpit and needed some clamp help

So. did we really drive the RT12 and CTR in the flesh - or just the PGR3 versions...??
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
topgeartom
Regular User

Sounds awesome and i too now want one. I did mange to get a similar setup myself barring the H-gate. Using my DFP and a spare set of pedals from an old wheel, i used the accelerator of the old pedals as the clutch, and had a joystick as a sequential shifter. It was all a bit heath robinson, but similarly, the joy of double de-clutching a Racing Ford Capri on GTL before throwing it round a corner sideways and feathering the throttle was immense.

That H-gate and all those metal bits do look rather tempting. Wheres my debit card?

Nice review as well man!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Nice lucky bastard. Does it work with the 360 or the PC? Or just PS2.

Anyways how much was that TV? and what the spec on it like contrast ratio , resloution, types of connections it has and so on. Why I ask? If it cheap I might get one for my room
Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

The flatpanel TV was only used during the filming - I have a regular 50" projection TV at home that am using for home based goofing off

I will post pictures of the setup this evening.

It works with the PC and the PS2 - I guess I forgot to talk about its use in GT4 and Enthusia..

Haven't bothered trying with the XBOX360 - I don't see how it can work though, as Micro$haft have made the XBOX360 USB implimentaiton as closed as they claimed to have made the PC version open...
Old 10-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Added pictures to the review in the first post.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
saadie
Regular User

for the first time ... im jelous

damn you RC :-/ :bah:

i want that wheel :cry:
Old 10-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
sentra_dude

Damn that setup looks pretty awesome, and surprisingly not too expensive either. Great review RC, and thanks for including pictures of the 'rig'.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
TopGearNL
Regular User

Very nice RC, been thinking about buying one too since Im planning to have a Video Projector soon but being a student money really is the issue
Old 10-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
MUS911
Regular User

so finally RC45
u got it...
congrats...

i spend hours playing without feeling the time 8)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Nice setup mate, I never tried running any games/sims on my tely. Got a 42" rear projection my self...but I happy with this widescreen LCD.

The wheel is awesome...must wait till next month to order one though
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #11
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

awesome reading.. even better looking
(mental note to self, set 600 USD aside for mandatory PC gear..)

RC, now you just need that 103" HD Plasma (i trust you have a nice sound system to go with that all.. )

as for GTR2 pretty nice.. still having some issues over here with my momo wheel..
most cars seems to be moving too fast.. slightest turn of the wheel and i'm on the grass, tried to add some dead zone, but maybe that wasn't enough, still need to play with the settings.. and damn it i hate playing with settings.. why cant they make something like a "wheel settings" or something simple like that..
anyways..
congrats! and great review :good: (0-60 was a great read too )

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:48 AM   #12
sheruken
Regular User

Awesome man, been waiting for my G25 for a while now. It'll take some time though, coz I "pre-ordered" it a little late thru Amazon. Anyway, is it possible for you to youtube a video or something for us, while playing a GTL or GTR2 lap? Would love to see the Wheel ForceFeedback TurnSpeed. And what about the Noise? Quieter than DFP I presume?

Thanks for the Pics, Brilliant Setup too!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
DeMoN
Regular User

im in the process of getting this. Selling my DFP before it becomes widely know about G35 existence... Got the 43" Pioneer plasma now just need seat! I fukin hope this works with PS3 and no other better one comes for PS3 in at least a year.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #14
5vz-fe
Regular User

Bump... for fellow racing craz Canadians

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...550&cid=PE.468
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\Oh man!!!! Dammit! Now I have no excuse not to get it.......

Blah must get it this month.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote