Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 08-27-2003, 09:08 AM   #31
draak666
Regular User

I said the very same thing LOL, and indeed that IS the reason why they changed all the rules. However, changing the rules can only have effect when they disable an advantage of a particular team (Ferrari). Can you explain to me where the advantages of Ferrari were exactly? I can't see where they affected Ferrari (or their strategy) in particular with the new rules. They're also the same for everyone.

Besides, it's only normal that other teams are closing the gap with Ferrari. What happened in the championship last year was a total exception.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:12 AM   #32
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by draak666
Can you explain to me where the advantages of Ferrari were exactly?
hmmm could it have been that Michael Schumacher kinda started nearer the front for each race last season ????
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:22 AM   #33
draak666
Regular User

Yeah true, as I mentionned, on tracks where it's difficult to overtake it's an advantage to start in front. Last year Schumi simply drove away from the rest in his Ferrari. That was exceptional. This year however, he doesn't always start in pole position, nor is he constantly stuck behind other drivers. This IMO means that other teams have progressed more.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:31 AM   #34
Jabba
Regular User

I just find the whole thing highly suspicious that Ferrari win the championship with half the races still to go last season...and everyone starts switching off...as no one can get anywhere near to beating Ferrari....

then all of a sudden the rules get changed and its one of the closest seasons ever....its going to be like a WWF type event soon the way its going....as no one likes to see the "baddie" always win.... it would seem...
Old 08-27-2003, 09:48 AM   #35
draak666
Regular User

Schumi isn't the baddie. I think he's the best driver around, and I love Ferrari. But for those who don't support the Ferrari team, last years championship was just pathetic to watch. And it is true that people like to see the underdog win.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:57 AM   #36
Jabba
Regular User

But for those who don't support the Ferrari team, last years championship was just pathetic to watch.
but not as pathetic as changing the rules....to give the other teams a chance to catch up....as it had become "pathetic to watch"....

if Ferrari had carried on winning then what would it have been next I wonder a blind fold for Schumacher I suppose....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #37
draak666
Regular User

Damn, you Ferrari fans are so hard to convince. It looks like you have forgotten what it feels like to lose. Indeed... it sucks! Get over it!.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:10 AM   #38
Jabba
Regular User

Give me a clear explanation why the rules were changed after last season and I will....and you wont convince me of anything which you are wrong about....and from what I understand we are winning the championship....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:13 AM   #39
tekwar
Regular User

On the other hand, Bridgestone can focus on one car, while the results of Michelin's test milages are somewhat biassed by the different cars' characteristics.

Also, it was only two seasons ago when Bridgestone provided the whole starting grid of tyres. And now they have already lost all of their advantage??? I don't think so. Face it, since last season the other teams simply have made greater progress than Ferrari.
if you listen to any f1 expect, they will tell you the same thing i told you. Tire development never stops, its one of the biggest and most important parts of an F1 car. Just because bridgestone developed tires for all the cars last time, doesnt mean they will have the clear advantage now. you have to remember than competition drives development too.

testing millage gives the tire manufacturers real life testing on new compounds. granted it may not suit all the cars, but when you make a step in rubber technology, all the cars in general will benefit from it. Focusing on one car has its own advantages, but you dont get the hours and hours of extra testing that you would if you had another top team running it. Ask any f1 expert and i can gurantee you that Michelin stepping up will be one of the top 2 reasons why the championship is more competitive this year and ferrari is going down.

i think the results speak for themselves, that renault, bmw and mclaren which all run michelin are fighting for wins now is a clear indication. you cant believe that ferrari which had such a big and clear advantage last season lost all of that because 3 teams stepped up so dramatically in one season. We all know that it is highly unlikely that it is because these car manufacturers made such "major" leap in development alone. Last season, we were just hopping that someone would put up a fight with ferrari this season, no one dreamed it would be 3 teams up there with them. Its clear we have michelin to thank for.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:22 AM   #40
tekwar
Regular User

you cant tell me that the change in the rules this year doesnt hurt ferrari in anyway. Havent you ever heard "Track Position is Important". It doesnt matter what sport your in, f1 included. Even on tracks that you can overtake on. Its not a simple matter. Are you trying to say that a BMW on a straight is easy to overtake, i think everyone would laugh at that. And thats not to say a Mclaren is any easier either. F1 no matter on whatever track is not an easy motorsport to overtake in. The changes in qualifying are based on that, swapping the cars around on the grid to make things interesting and more fun for the spectators. If everything was equal, you would think that a ferrari starting at the back of the grid would have a good chance to win even last year, but you dont see that, and the reason is like i said, track position is important.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:22 AM   #41
Jabba
Regular User

hmmmm I wonder if we will go back to the old qualifying rules then next season....hmmmm perhaps not.... me thinks...cant think why.....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 AM   #42
tekwar
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
hmmmm I wonder if we will go back to the old qualifying rules then next season....hmmmm perhaps not me thinks...cant think why.....
Well bernie has been quoted as saying that "Qualifying is Boring" and that they are looking into changing it again next year. Its hard to say at this moment, but if i had to bet on it, i would say yes it will probably change again. To what, i wouldnt know, but too many of the top people, including drivers and team owners have expressed their concern over the qualifying format. The idea of having 2nd qualifying sessions on sunday mornings before the races is interesting though.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:28 AM   #43
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by tekwar
The changes in qualifying are based on that, swapping the cars around on the grid to make things interesting and more fun for the spectators.
The only sense I have heard today.....but only more fun for people that dont like Ferrari.....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:28 AM   #44
draak666
Regular User

OK, so Jabba claims it's the changing of the rules which have brought the teams closer together and Tekwar claims it's the tires. Both of you probably have a part of the answer. But it seems no Ferrari fan dares to admit that the progression of the other cars has got anything to do with it. I think it does.

Now, I'd like to end this discussion here because I still have some work to do and I don't want to end up in a discussion with all the other Ferrari fans of JabbasWorld on my neck. Besides I'm just the devil's advocate . F1 is exciting and worth watching again, that's what matters to me. Thanks for your participation.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #45
Jabba
Regular User

But it seems no Ferrari fan dares to admit that the progression of the other cars has got anything to do with it. I think it does.
not that much progression in that amount of time...that is like going from a 486 PC to a Pentium 4 in 6 months...I will give you that the other teams might be onto a Pentium 2 now at the very most...and of course Ferrari would have made no progression either I suppose...I mean what do they know about Forumula One racing anyway????