Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #31
Mattk
Regular User

An awesome result for Vettel. He has really shown that he can cut it with the big boys. With a top-level car, he'll be challenging for more wins in the future. Nice speedy driving by Kubica, Raikonnen and Hamilton. A pity Raikonnen couldn't get that point.

Massa is now just one point behind Hamilton. He is thirteen ahead of Kubica in third and twenty ahead of Raikonnen in fourth. It seems the title fight will be between Massa and Hamilton. I don't think anyone else will be able to win it from here.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #32
SafirXP
Regular User

Great drive from Vettel and Lewis. I especially enoyed the way Lewis tackled Glock, Alonso & Webber. More fun when drivers get more nasty with each other, than the usual dull, boring races.

Can't wait to see Vettel out perform Webber on every circuit next year, thats a given!
SafirXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #33
Mattk
Regular User

After finishing first, Vettel is now actually a few points ahead of Webber! Out of all active drivers, Webber has had the second most points without a win, and the second most starts without a win. Only Heidfeld has a more unenviable record.

Last edited by Mattk; 09-18-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #34
bezmiegs
Regular User

thats just what F1 needs... aggressive drivers. Everybody is far too polite in F1. Thats why they are racing drivers, they have petrol in their weins.
bezmiegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #35
Mattk
Regular User

^Perhaps you have forgotten that motorsports was never meant to be aggressive. It was an arena for aristocrats to test out their new cars. Formula One, to me, stands above the other races as being less aggressive and more gentlemanly and sedate. If you want aggression, watch other motorsports.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #36
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
^Perhaps you have forgotten that motorsports was never meant to be aggressive. It was an arena for aristocrats to test out their new cars. Formula One, to me, stands above the other races as being less aggressive and more gentlemanly and sedate. If you want aggression, watch other motorsports.
Monster trucks ftw
Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #37
bezmiegs
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
You may be right, but F1 is a long way from testing new cars. F1 is a show and a glamorous one at that, and to be a sucessfull show it needs to have agression or at least rivalship, othervise all that is left is a bunch of formulas going round a track with no one overtaking. Motorsport has always been about speed and who can get to the finish faster, and that cannot happen without agression of some kind, the only thing is that the agression should be left on the track.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #38
frnk
Regular User

I think aggression is definitely a big part of any high level motorsport, F1 included. Modern F1 if anything is less aggressive than its 70s counterpart due to safety and sponsorship concerns, stories of James Hunt hitting people who ran him off the road or Alan Jone's brutal and highly aggressive driving style in the ground-effect era are what defines F1 as the premier motorsport.

In the case of Hamilton, obviously I think he was toeing the line a little, especially with his wheelbang on Webber in the heaviest braking zone on the entire track. Obviously in the modern safety obsessed climate that kind of driving is not something that is often seen or endorsed by teams and sponsors.
frnk is offline   Reply With Quote