Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #16
gobs3z
Regular User

Marko did street drive the Supra, that's how he got to the local tracks, but for long trips down to Vegas for competition he would trailer it. Either way he would have to drive it to get to the street drags and make some money, no one would want to race a Supra that was brought in on a trailer.

If for somereason the Viper actually gained 600lbs. it would have to be do to all the engine work (strong lengthy piping, huge turbos, and hue intercoolers) but still that seems a bit much even when the car must have carbon fiber front bumper and hood since SVS makes that. Or the driver weighs 400lbs.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #17
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z
^^^He's ran 8.45 and he also sold his car, hopefully he'll be working on my next car. Marko's car also has its full interior and stock suspension, so i don't understand why the fully drag built Viper by SVS is not running consistant 7 sec. passes. Maybe someday one of Marko's shop cars and the SVS's Viper will have a shootout since they're both in the samee neighborhood. Might as well invite AMS, and Sound Performance while they're at it. Damn, i love this state!! Any other big tuners around here?
well Lingenfelter is just over the border in Indiana and Rad Rides by Troy builds some high HP muscle cars...
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #18
gobs3z
Regular User

I always thought lingenfelter was in texas, damn! Well i gotta go check them out sometime or race them, thanks t-bird.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #19
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani
The famous svs stryker viper can't even hoop on a dragstrip.
And think that only thing they can do turn the boost a bit lower.
Traction is what you need a dragstrip but finding traction on a 1500+ hp viper will be a job for sherlock holmes or nasa.
Here a video the styker viper whit no good traction.
And i think the 1500 whp viper is a dynoqueen if it can't put the power down.
The only 1500 whp car that can puts it's power down is the marko d supra the famous white supra.

off topic
Marko d supra has fit some new turbo's they are just a bit bigger than the old ones

He has run 1/4 of 8,80 seconds at 174 at the 2006 texas supra meet whit some leaking injector spacers than nitrous backfire whit fuel sprayed over the intake.

Traction less svs stryker viper
http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/video_59_0.wmv
Marko Supra is impressive but I guess you guys have forgotten the 1400rwhp Viper that did 8.5 @ 176mph at the "Pump Gas Drags" with full interior, 6 speed, IRS and weighted in at over 3800lbs with stereo equipment...As for the viper not being able to hook up 1500 hp...Ever heard of drag tires? Do you think Marko ran those times on real street tires???As for the 230mph not being possible on a Viper...Why not....A 650 crank hp Viper topped out at 215 mph in Car and Driver test....With 1500hp why do you think it will struggle to get a measily 15 more mph to get to 230 and beyond....

Stock the GTS vipers topped out at 192mph according to MotorTrends tests and that with 420rwhp....Do the math people...The Vipers gearing is geared for it to reach a theoretical top speed over 300mph..In stock form it cant do this of course. But with "1500rwhp" and the stock gearing it can get well over 230-240 or as fast as its aerodynamics will allow it...The SVS Stryker did 246mph I believe at the Salt Flats and it wasnt making 1500hp if memory serves...So thats and indication of what a properly set up Viper can do if you want top speed....As for turns it can be set up to do battle with a Veyron on any track...IF you have money you can make any car beat another....But in this case you will still be driving home in a lesser car than the Veyron...
Old 03-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #20
Skaala
Regular User

1300hp SVS Stryker at 247mph

http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/video_35_0.wmv
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #21
pagani
Regular User

I believe marko d still is still owner of his famous white supra.
Anyway a supra is much better car for the dragstrip than a viper.
Just look at the et of the top supra's much faster than any viper that has run on the dragstrip.
The only viper that has run below the 9 secons on the 1/4 mile(402 meter) it the viper build by heffners performance and that's twin turbo viper.
This the viper i mean i believe the best et is 8.4 seconds but that their streelegal supra that have set faster times.

Anyway i not a huge fan of straightline only cars i love cars that are fast in straighline and in the corners and that brake very well.
Allround cars are the way to go.
Fun is not a straightline.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:27 AM   #22
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani
I believe marko d still is still owner of his famous white supra.
Anyway a supra is much better car for the dragstrip than a viper.
Just look at the et of the top supra's much faster than any viper that has run on the dragstrip.
The only viper that has run below the 9 secons on the 1/4 mile(402 meter) it the viper build by heffners performance and that's twin turbo viper.
This the viper i mean i believe the best et is 8.4 seconds but that their streelegal supra that have set faster times.

Anyway i not a huge fan of straightline only cars i love cars that are fast in straighline and in the corners and that brake very well.
Allround cars are the way to go.
Fun is not a straightline.
I guess you'll believe what you want to regardless of the facts and thats your right....But Vipers handle better than Supras at circuits tracks. Stock to stock its not even close much less modded. SCC mag tested roadrace, high hp Supra, Skyline etc vs a Viper making 300hp less but was set up for roadrace...The result???Viper whooped em by 6+ seconds...Even Supra guys will tell you that Vipers have the edge on circuit tracks...This doesnt mean a well setup Supra cant beat a Viper on the track...But given equal drivers and proper track setup for both the Viper will win...Drag racing however its a toss up...Supras are incredible hp monsters. High tech power vs displacement coupled with a little tech[viper]. love em both

BTW there are quite a few turbo Vipers in the 8's and one in the 7 sec range so you are not correct..Supras better drag cars than Vipers huh??????How can you say that when they both trap around the same ET and the Viper usually has more mph...They both have streetlegal cars in the 7's and they swap the 6 speed title between camps..If anything they are closely matched in drag racing...Vipers are harder to launch..1400hp supra makes around 1000-1100tq at higher rpms...1400hp Viper makes around 1300-1600tq at low rpms...The Supra camp has been at this game longer than the Viper camp and they have the edge technology wise..But in just a matter of months the Viper camp has caught, matched or passed them from time to time...Both are great Drag or Circuit cars...Money talks.

BTW streetlegal is a relative term...Not taking anything away but most of those Supras are lightened, and not exactly a car that you will drive someone you like around for a few hours...That Viper that ran the 8.5 at over 170mph was full weight plus added weight of stereo equipment...Thats what I call "real" streetlegal...Oh and it was on pump gas...Do that in a Supra...You gotta give credit where it is due even if you dont really like a car, person etc...
Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #23
pagani
Regular User

The heffner viper is only i have heard of don't really kown if there are other faster cars.
Dodge viper have won le mans a few times.
The viper is more of a american supercar whit muscle car style big engine.
And a stock viper has better handling than a stock supra but if you spend mega bucks anything can go fast round a road course some cars better the other cars.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #24
gobs3z
Regular User

Marko sold his Supra for around $70,000+ on ebay, it's deffinately sold. And about launching Supras, they have plenty of torque down low because they're usually spraying a 200 shot to get the turbo to spool, but it's still not on par with Vipers but what else is that doesn't have 8.0+ liters to play with.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #25
pagani
Regular User

Here is new video of the 1500 hp viper.
http://www.speedcraving.com/extreme/...rths-viper.wmv
Old 04-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #26
STV_Keith
Regular User

Originally Posted by TeflonTron
Yeah, but on what tires? You think that this Viper is going to get traction from a standstill using standard road-tires? If the Viper and Veyron were both using standard road-tires I'd back the Veyron on 0-60 and 0-100. As you said, the Veyron has it at 210+ due to the aerodynamics, and I'd back it 100% in braking tests and on a racetrack.
Ahh, that's the beauty of the AEM engine management computer. Traction control, boost referenced to speed - traction is possible. See the video of the run with the bike - that's on Michelin Pilot Sports (not the Cup's) on the lowest boost. The car is driveable and accelerates hard. Put some Cups or Pirelli Corsa's on it and it will run even harder on the street.

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
I remember an early Hennessey Venom 650 in Car and Driver did 215mph flat out..This Viper has almost 1000hp more than that Venom. :shock: :shock: I agree with ya on the track results unless the viper gets upgraded suspension and equal rubber then it would be an interesting fight..
Hennessey's current record in the standing mile is 217 or 218, and that's with his 1000hp car. We fully expect the viper in the video (Garths' Red Underground Racing car) to run much bigger numbers on top. Like 230-240.

Originally Posted by gobs3z
Marko did street drive the Supra,...

If for somereason the Viper actually gained 600lbs. it would have to be do to all the engine work (strong lengthy piping, huge turbos, and hue intercoolers) but still that seems a bit much even when the car must have carbon fiber front bumper and hood since SVS makes that. Or the driver weighs 400lbs.
The viper (at least the red one that the dyno graph in the first post relates to) is also a street driven car. Registered, insured, etc.

Also remember that a cage, fire suppression system and parachute add some weight, as well as the turbo system, IC, etc as mentioned.

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Marko Supra is impressive but I guess you guys have forgotten the 1400rwhp Viper that did 8.5 @ 176mph at the "Pump Gas Drags" with full interior, 6 speed, IRS and weighted in at over 3800lbs with stereo equipment...
AFAIK, the current 6-speed IRS record is held by the Yellow Underground racing Viper, at 8.55 @ 174. That is the sister car to Garths' red car, and makes about 100hp less. The IRS record is 7.99 @ 178 by Chad, a Heffner built Viper with an automatic.
STV_Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #27
reflexx
Regular User

Since I am sure this is a troll fest waiting to happen... I will at least stir the pot.

Are you folks just pulling stuff out of your ass?

192mph according to MotorTrends tests and that with 420rwhp....Do the math people...The Vipers gearing is geared for it to reach a theoretical top speed over 300mph..In stock form it cant do this of course.
Nor can it in ANY form. If you understood basic aerodynamics you would know that car has stability problems even at 240 much less 300.

Supras better drag cars than Vipers huh??????How can you say that when they both trap around the same ET and the Viper usually has more mph... Vipers are harder to launch
spew more, please... what are you even talking about? what traps around the same ET? Vipers and Supras? are we talking a 300hp supra vs a 1000 hp viper? 1000 hp supra vs 450 hp viper? How can you compare these cars without listing any other information? Have you ever been to the strip? Driven a high horsepower car on the strip? It seems you know absolutely nothing about cars, horsepower, traction, launching, racing, or any other related topic.

The Supra camp has been at this game longer than the Viper camp
That's funny, they both started in 1993....

Even Supra guys will tell you that Vipers have the edge on circuit tracks...This doesnt mean a well setup Supra cant beat a Viper on the track...But given equal drivers and proper track setup for both the Viper will win...
What kind of supra? what kind of viper? Go watch the jun supra rip around a track (http://www.astrocore.com/movies/junsupra_full.mpeg) and then tell me about how much supras suck on the circuits. I don't know what you mean by proper track setup. If I put millions of dollars into a supra, it would certainly beat a viper with less money in it. What are the rules? Can i put a 7-speed formula-1 transmission in the supra? I think the point here is that performance is related to just a few factors - the main one is MONEY.

If you want to talk REAL NUMBERS, the supra's coefficient of drag is 0.31, whereas the 2000 viper is 0.50 and the 2003 viper is 0.43. All other factors being the same, a viper will require approximately 25% more horsepower to compete on the top end. The viper weighs approximately 20% more. All other factors being equal, the viper will require approximately 20% more horsepower to compete on the bottom end of the speed spectrum.

Other than that - it's all about how much you spend! Here, the supra clearly wins - a decently reliable 1000 hp viper can be built for around 130-150K including the price of the car, you can do the same thing in a supra for 60-70K (I can even produce a precise parts list if you'd like!)
reflexx is offline   Reply With Quote