Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #16
DeMoN
Regular User

Drive them both and see what you like most, never let some internet forum posts change the opinion you have.
I dont think that Lotus dealership would let me test drive both the way I want to test drive them. When the cars are new, they strictly enforce the "break in" theory and they wont let me go past 4k rpm.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #17
Pehtren
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
Drive them both and see what you like most, never let some internet forum posts change the opinion you have.
I dont think that Lotus dealership would let me test drive both the way I want to test drive them. When the cars are new, they strictly enforce the "break in" theory and they wont let me go past 4k rpm.
Are you sure. i know that when the M5 came (for clients to test it) in slovenia, and they pushed the car really har, so they fucked up the engine.
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #18
DeMoN
Regular User

Im not sure if Lotus would let me, but BMW and INFINITI did not.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #19
Pehtren
Regular User

If you drove with your G, i think that should have effect on them. 8)
Old 05-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #20
DeMoN
Regular User

not sure if I should ASK if I can floor the car, or just do it?
Old 05-02-2006, 03:55 AM   #21
Pehtren
Regular User

Yes thats the mayor problem, but the car is there that you test its capabilitys. Its not there to be driven like your grandmom does.

So i think you should floor it.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:46 AM   #22
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by AAlcHemY_
Brakes don't need upgrading, the driver does. No offence Shinigami.
No offence taken, but do you really know what my capabilities are when it comes to driving? No, I'm not an expert, but I don't think I suck quite this much when it comes to cars

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Something did not feel "right" about the brakes in this car. I did not lock the brakes (the car had no ABS), however, whilst I did try to stop the car by applying the brakes, the car kept on creeping forward. It was alarming, and it most certainly was not normal. It's simple, a car going 30kph should stop within less then 10meters when you apply the brakes, be it with or without ABS or servo's, it should not take up to 30 meters for the car to slow down!

30kph (that's less then 20mph) is not all that fast, and the Mk1 is a very light car, all the easier to get it to a stop with moderate brake pressure. But alas, it did not, it just failed to stop properly.

If you don't believe me, I'll go there and try it again, and this time, I'll record the whole deal. I personally believe something was just not right about those brakes. Either the contact sucked or there was not enough brake fluid for proper pressure. So does this make me a bad driver? I just feel confused about it...

Anyway (and not to flame you), I guess you must be an owner, or at least experienced in Elise's since your first two posts were posted in a thread about these cars, and your specific commentary on car and drive feel reflect that.

It is obviously VERY true that one should take what is being said on a forum with a grain of salt. I also always tell people to try before you buy And in this case, the single experience (yes, only one, sadly enough) in an Mk1 Elise was completely overshadowed by the "superior" (at least for me) feel in a newer model Elise, Exige and an Opel Speedster. Obviously, time breeds excellense, and it should be normal for a newer model to have better comfort and build value then the older model, even if it often is at the expense of having gained weight.

Whilst my own recommendation would be to get a newer Elise, I would NOT put down an older model if one was given to me. It's a very cool little capable car, but the brakes left me cold due to the experience I had with them.

p.s. both cars were well beyond the brake-in procedure. The Exige had 4500km's (or miles... not sure, the car came from the UK factory), so there was no problem pushing it into the high revs (it was even warmed up by the previous test-drivers), and the Mk1 had something to the tune of 30,000km's, which I too revved up high AFTER I had warmed up the engine. I drove peacefully for about 15 minutes... I do respect the vehicles on the dealers lot, and won't push them hard as nuts until the engine is warm.

Demon: if you're driving alone, and the car is well past the brake-in procedure, just warm her up and play around with the revs. If you're driving with a dealer next to you, they should say it's ok to do it if the car has enough miles on it. Otherwise, it's up to you and your concience. I wouldn't max-rev any car which was not fully broken-in, even if I was driving it alone... I tend to respect the dealer vehicles a bit more then this. Just my two cents.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #23
cooperluke
Regular User

The Elise had road brake pads??

If it had some carbon brake pads, they don't brake until properly warmed up...

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:34 AM   #24
Shinigami
Regular User

Don't know about the pads... hard to see. The rotors were metal tho'.

Even warmed up, the brakes were still not stopping properly. I'll go take some more photos. I'll see if the dealer can enlighten me.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #25
AAlcHemY_
Regular User

Originally Posted by DeMoN
If you need to take the engine past 4k rpm, you are missing the point a bit imo. The Elise is kinda slow in real world situations. ( where only big hp numbers count )

Originally Posted by Shinigami
No offence taken, but do you really know what my capabilities are when it comes to driving? No, I'm not an expert, but I don't think I suck quite this much when it comes to cars
No, I really cannot know the driving skills you have. I'm just asuming this because almost every Elise/Exige owner thinks the brakes are broken, untill they really press on the brakes. Just take the car to a empty road and try to lock the brakes.

And yes, I'm a owner of a Elise. Sorry if my posts are a bit rude btw.
AAlcHemY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:01 AM   #26
Shinigami
Regular User

No problem Alchemy, and input from Elise owners is appreciated.

I really did try to press down full force on the brakes, to the point where any other car would have activated their ABS. But it felt like the vehicle just kept on creeping forward... But yeah, I'll go try this car out again. That is, when I get back from my business trip... argh, missing driving. This place sucks, too much traffic and taxis take 15 minutes to do a 1km trip =(