Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani View Post
The cobra r is very good and capable car/decent trackcar
That ferrari got his ass kicked by a ford
And that ferrari made more sound that it had power.
Glad you saw this, I posted i tjust for you
And that is not even a Cobra R, its just a plain-jane SVT Cobra

BTW, I got to drive one of those Roush 427R's you fell in love with... it is an awesome awesome car... trying to get hold of a TrakPak now
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
pagani
Regular User

Cool

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Glad you saw this, I posted i tjust for you
And that is not even a Cobra R, its just a plain-jane SVT Cobra

BTW, I got to drive one of those Roush 427R's you fell in love with... it is an awesome awesome car... trying to get hold of a TrakPak now
I am glad i am right.
American cars are not so bad as some people think
I fall in love whit lots of cars these days.
Mustang's rock.

Last edited by pagani; 04-09-2008 at 02:25 PM.
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
ferrari550
Regular User

i do not think american cars in this league are bad at all, i never said that, your implying that i said that. 2 great cars on a track and a nice video. and i do not see how the ferrari got its ass kicked by a ford.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
pagani
Regular User

Originally Posted by ferrari550 View Post
i do not think american cars in this league are bad at all, i never said that, your implying that i said that. 2 great cars on a track and a nice video. and i do not see how the ferrari got its ass kicked by a ford.
That ferrari could not drive away from the cobra so it's got it ass kicked.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
ferrari550
Regular User

That ferrari could not drive away from the cobra so it's got it ass kicked.
so if the cobra could not walk away from the 355 then its would have been kicked as well?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

Truth of the matter is....

its easy to follow somebody on a track when you have a fast(er) car, but given the lead, and not doing as clean lines lends to the fast(er) car being unable to break away
Old 04-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
pagani
Regular User

so if the cobra could not walk away from the 355 then its would have been kicked as well?
Strictly speakin yes.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #23
ferrari550
Regular User

Strictly speakin yes.
thats a weird way to look at it. for example: in an f1 race, hamilton is leading and massa is right behind him, hamilton cannot shake him and massa cannot pass hamilton. hamilton goes on to win the race, does this mean that massa kicked his ass?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #24
HeilSvenska
Regular User

thats a weird way to look at it. for example: in an f1 race, hamilton is leading and massa is right behind him, hamilton cannot shake him and massa cannot pass hamilton. hamilton goes on to win the race, does this mean that massa kicked his ass?
If he did it in a GP2 car.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #25
pagani
Regular User

I love what rc45 did with has vette and would love to the same whit a mustang or some other interesting car.
ROUSH 427R Trak Pak Mustang tearing up at Gingerman Raceway

Last edited by pagani; 04-09-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 AM   #26
Mattk
Regular User

Uh, both the Mustang and the F355 are good cars in their own way. What I was alluding to before was that you can't really say that one car is superior or inferior just by looking at two guys racing around a circuit. The major variable is the driver.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #27
sameerrao
Regular User

Boy that 355 challenge sounded awesome on the track! From the pitch of the sound, it seemed that was short shifting through most of the course while using more revs on the straight. The cobra guy did good.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #28
graywolf624
Regular User

At least give some credit where it's due - this is a demonstratable example of a Cobra in competant hands staying within reach of an F355.
Sigh. Im not saying the cobra is a bad car per say. What I am saying is money and no compromises buys you speed. A challenge ferrari is much more in that category then the cobra. You don't compare a porsche boxster to a 911. The same is true for a cobra versus a 355. A cobra competes with a nissan 350z and a rx8, not a Ferrari. Its not a plus or a minus of engineering of one group as it says nothing of what an American 120k car does.

The cobra R, while a fast car, is not a race car and not considered great on a road racing track (my personal standards may be higher then yours). IT still has the same dynamic flaws as the rest of the sn95s. In otherwords its good for an sn95, but take a better base like a corvette and the potential is well beyond what the cobra could hope for. I've said it before and Ill say it again. My third gen camaro had many thousands spent on suspension, yet if it beat my vette around a track (my vette is stock) I'd prolly be tickeled shitless. Start modifying the vette and you might as well give up. Thats why racing has classes. So us poor folk can modify a camaro and still be competitive.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #29
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
Sigh. Im not saying the cobra is a bad car per say. What I am saying is money and no compromises buys you speed. A challenge ferrari is much more in that category then the cobra. You don't compare a porsche boxster to a 911. The same is true for a cobra versus a 355. A cobra competes with a nissan 350z and a rx8, not a Ferrari. Its not a plus or a minus of engineering of one group as it says nothing of what an American 120k car does.

The cobra R, while a fast car, is not a race car and not considered great on a road racing track (my personal standards may be higher then yours). IT still has the same dynamic flaws as the rest of the sn95s. In otherwords its good for an sn95, but take a better base like a corvette and the potential is well beyond what the cobra could hope for. I've said it before and Ill say it again. My third gen camaro had many thousands spent on suspension, yet if it beat my vette around a track (my vette is stock) I'd prolly be tickeled shitless. Start modifying the vette and you might as well give up. Thats why racing has classes. So us poor folk can modify a camaro and still be competitive.
The car in the video is not Cobra R - it is 2003 Cobra... just wanted to clear that bit up. Considering there is no doubting the 2000 Cobra R's racing credentials SN95 base or not.

BTW, dont get too excited about the C6 Coupe stock - the stock tyres will let you down long before you turn in fast lap times - be sure to change them out for sticky ruber before you take on anyone's modded Camaro

There is a reason the Challenge series existed, it couldnt hold it's own in mixed company - but shines in a one-make series - as this video demonstrates

Anyway - the bullshit stops when the flag drops - and agin, the video demonstrates that theoretical benchracing and reality are often frustratingly different - whether it be driver, suspension, tyres or gearing - doent matter - the reality is where the rubber hits the road.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #30
graywolf624
Regular User

I have to disagree. Again, its an otc and its with drivers we don't know. It shows nothing.

BTW, dont get too excited about the C6 Coupe stock - the stock tyres will let you down long before you turn in fast lap times - be sure to change them out for sticky ruber before you take on anyone's modded Camaro
I'd put down good money with the right driver your not going to find a modified camaro lapping much better then a stock C6.. At least without run flats. As far as Im concerned since tires are a wear item the car is still stock with different ones. That being said cars should be measured with like tires, which brings me back to the begining of this paragraph.

A little lesson about the sn95.
Dynamic flaw number 1. Drive one wheel up on a curb. The rest will remain on the ground.
2) when lowered the sn95 experiences major issues. The caster angle is such that lowering actually creates a dynamic condition of positive camber.
3) weight
4) the rear axle options are bad. Stock stick axle had quadra links. Read: really bad binding of the suspension causing snap oversteer. The cobra had a multilink, which was so bad people went back to the stick axle (tendancy to wheel hop under breaking will tighten anyones spinchter).
5) All of these items can be overcome but cost money, weight, and begin to get into the point where your talking tubbed rear and other things that make it the car formerly known as a mustang.
6) The mustang cobra only cost 32k and the gt was 26k (ball parks) which means its competition with a few exceptions are things like toyota camrys. In other words, 1-5 still in tact its still a great car. The same comes back to that old camaro. It was a superior platform to the mustang, but even its limits with respect to 5 mean your better off going purpose built to play with the big boys. Or being in SCCA f class where it meets like cars.