Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #76
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by RC45
Thanks mate.

You think I could get it all sourced by Saturday?

D70S Body local and maybe the Nikkor 18-200VR and the Nikkor 18-70DX .

We of course will also need a Sigma 70-200mm for action shots.

What do you think?
So wait, you're buying an SLR

What was that huge long post about:
"The guy is simply saying "talent and ability forst, equipment second".

This thread is a PERFECT example of what he is tlking about.

Here is a guy on a tight budget who wants to talke decent pictures, and he is MORE worried about "the equipment" than practice, talent and ability.

FFS man, just buy a camera that fis your budget and and leaves some money spare, then get out there and take lots of pictures - experiment and practice.

I have taken pictures with a D70 and a $800 lense that suck and pictures with my Kodak point and shoot that are awesome."
etc, etc...

I thought you were against SLRs...as a waste of money/a substitute for talent or something Sudden change of heart?

I personally agree that talent, etc is more important than equipment, but the difference between using an SLR and a point-and-shoot is just night and day, that even if the picture quality is the same I'd pick the SLR everytime...good luck with your D70s! 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #77
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
Originally Posted by TopGearNL
BIG BIG PROBLEM!!

Ive visited loads of different camerashops and none! none of them has the Nikon D50 or the chance of getting one. They all say that the importer in Holland stopped with them because in a couple of months the Nikon D50i is going to replace the D50. That new camera will cost about 800-900 euro's. I am still searching for my camera but no luck :cry:

Any thoughts...?
Originally Posted by sameerrao
^^ D70s correct?

I wonder what is new with the D50i?
Like I posted in my first post: Photokina will be arriving in a few months, at the end of September. This convention happens every two years.

Nikon will replace the D70s w/ either the D80 or D90 for sure. Probably megapixel jump up to 8 or 10mps.

The D50 will be replaced w/ the D50s. It will be similar to the D50 w/ upgrades in speed and such. I suspect the D50s will continue to use the same sensor. Nice thing about Nikons is that they will probably release a new firmware to patch the old D50 up to speed w/ the new D50s much like they did with the original D70 to D70s.
How much would that firmware patch cost do you think?

------------
Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 AM   #78
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude

How much would that firmware patch cost do you think?
Should be free. . .

Just like the recently released D2Xs, which was an updated on the D2X. Nikon has already committed to bringing the D2X up to spec w/ the D2Xs. Of course there might be a "few" features missing.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:16 AM   #79
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

They did the same for the D70, all features from the D70s (except the slightly larger screen) can be had in the free firmware.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:54 PM   #80
sentra_dude

Cooool! Thanks. 8)

------------
Old 07-15-2006, 02:44 AM   #81
RC45
Regular User

Thanks mate.

You think I could get it all sourced by Saturday?

D70S Body local and maybe the Nikkor 18-200VR and the Nikkor 18-70DX .

We of course will also need a Sigma 70-200mm for action shots.

What do you think?
So wait, you're buying an SLR
And?

What was that huge long post about:
"The guy is simply saying "talent and ability forst, equipment second".

This thread is a PERFECT example of what he is tlking about.

Here is a guy on a tight budget who wants to talke decent pictures, and he is MORE worried about "the equipment" than practice, talent and ability.

FFS man, just buy a camera that fis your budget and and leaves some money spare, then get out there and take lots of pictures - experiment and practice.

I have taken pictures with a D70 and a $800 lense that suck and pictures with my Kodak point and shoot that are awesome."
etc, etc...

I thought you were against SLRs...as a waste of money/a substitute for talent or something Sudden change of heart?
I never ever said I was against SLR's - ever. I simply pointed out that just because you have the best doesn't mean you will be the best, and that you don't have to have the best to do your best.

I personally agree that talent, etc is more important than equipment, but the difference between using an SLR and a point-and-shoot is just night and day, that even if the picture quality is the same I'd pick the SLR everytime...good luck with your D70s! 8)
Again - I never said anything against SLR's - I was pointing out that over-spending and over analysing or even chastising someone for being on a budget and only buying low end stuff is not a good thing.

So just because someone can only afford a Quantary lens does not automatically mean their pictures will suck.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #82
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

I never ever said I was against SLR's - ever. I simply pointed out that just because you have the best doesn't mean you will be the best, and that you don't have to have the best to do your best.
Excellent statement!

Just recently I took up the challenge to create better pics than my g/f's uncle. He was using a D70 with kitlens put on automatic, I took pics with my PowerShot G5 with an external flash and using Manual. Needless to say, my pics came out a lot better and the show-off-uncle never mentioned photography to me ever since.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #83
TopGearNL
Regular User

I got my new camera!! Finally after searching, visiting and phoning a lot of shops I got myself a D50. From a store in Rotterdam, I was luck because they only had one :shock:

I had no choice but to take the D50 that was there that was in the kit with the 18-55 mm lens. Haven't had much time lately but might take some pics tonight. I took one pic and it looked awfull, I think that might have been me and not the camera LOL

But I am happy I have it now and want to thank everyone who helped me in this topic by advising and telling me what was the best choice

You'll probably see me alot in this section now, since I want to know everything about taking great pics
Old 07-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #84
ae86_16v
Regular User

Don't worry about the kit lens. Yeah it is feels cheap and its cheap, but you could take some quality picture with it. Like everyone eluded to, you are the limiting factor in the camera right now, not the camera nor the lens.

The only problem I had with the 18-55mm kit lens (and this applies to the 18-70mm lens) is that it doesn't have enough reach. You could fix that later.

Enjoy the camera!!!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #85
TopGearNL
Regular User

Thanks ae86_16v!

Pictures I take inside or fine, but outside :shock: . Any tips on settings?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #86
saadie
Regular User

just use it in the standard mode till you get perfect into it
Old 07-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #87
RC45
Regular User

Thanks ae86_16v!

Are you sure to keep your eyes opne when you take pictures?

BTW - Congrats - now go out and enjoy
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #88
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Thanks ae86_16v!

RTFM..... Just try a lot of settings and try to understand the influence of ISO, aperture and shutterspeed.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #89
TopGearNL
Regular User

Trying every setting and learning more and more

Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #90
c0wb0y007
Regular User

TopGearNL,

Congrats with your new camera mate. The more you shoot the better you will get. Analyse the pics you take and be hard for yourself 8)

The thing I did after I had bought mine, was reading the manual about the different programs which you can select on the camera.

Martijn has made a good point there, step away from shooting on AUTO. It sucks !!! I like shooting on "S", "A" and "M".

Happy snapping

Cheers
And I watch 'em roll away again
Sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time

http://www.emotionworkshop.org
http://www.stunningnikon.com/
http://www.nikon.co.uk
http://www.sportsshooter.com
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond3/