Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
fordgt84
Regular User

Default BMW will start producing FWD cars.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/248023/

Normally id' be sad they'd even think of this...but BMW's identity crisis/badge snobbery and lack of anything exciting in their range just brings me to the conclusion that the M3 CSL was the last good car they made (ok maybe E60 M5 too). Ten years ago it used to be BMW first, Mercedes second and Audi third, now it's Merc first, Audi second...BMW nowhere.
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Apparently Mini isn't enough.

Originally Posted by fordgt84 View Post
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/248023/

Normally id' be sad they'd even think of this...but BMW's identity crisis/badge snobbery and lack of anything exciting in their range just brings me to the conclusion that the M3 CSL was the last good car they made (ok maybe E60 M5 too). Ten years ago it used to be BMW first, Mercedes second and Audi third, now it's Merc first, Audi second...BMW nowhere.
In downright image, it's Audi, Merc, then the BMW. Mercedes still has its own identity problem with fending off the reverse-influenced Lexus-y image. Audi by far is seemingly sporty and prestigious despite lots of VAG parts sharing, which people amazingly don't mind at all. That plus the R8 range and the RS cars. The SLS is nice, but people won't really take notice to it like people do with the R8 until someone opens the door.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
black_diamond
Regular User

I bet its the pot smoking dutchy who designs the cars, stupidest thing in the world, just cheaping the brand.

Its a BMW because its a BMW, everyone knows Audis are driven by cocks, BMWs have always been new money, Merc old money, and Audi someone elses money, I wonder if this is still true?

I think the work that Chris Bangle put in the last decade lead BMW to the position they are in, good or bad, problem is they have to many models, and make to many cars which has hurt their image and their profits, how about don't make a stupid fwd car and make really really good small sedans and coupes that AREN'T overpriced!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
fordgt84
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
The SLS is nice, but people won't really take notice to it like people do with the R8 until someone opens the door.
You will also notice it when one drives past u while walking down the streets and u hear its V8 creating all sorts of explosive sounds on the overrun (happened to me like 2 months ago)...but anyways i think we can both agree that Audi and Mercedes are far more confident with what they've always made and their current products, but BMW...*sigh*
Old 03-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
enzoferrari
Regular User

I think BMW should make a supercar and not a cheap FWD car period.
1: MB
2:BMW
3: Audi
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by black_diamond View Post
Its a BMW because its a BMW, everyone knows Audis are driven by cocks, BMWs have always been new money, Merc old money, and Audi someone elses money, I wonder if this is still true?
Audi's an odd case because just 10 years ago, it was nothing like that. I'd say Audi's more for the new money now.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
zeus_2011
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Audi's an odd case because just 10 years ago, it was nothing like that. I'd say Audi's more for the new money now.
I think Audi turned a page in 1995 with the B5 A4 line-up....creating a car able to compete with the 3-series. Once the A8 was introduced building on the A4's image, Audi surely overtook MB, and following Bangle's take on BMW styling, it shot past Beemers too! Admittedly, in the last 7-8 years Audi have gone off on a bit of a tangent, but they still make some quality items.

This latest announcement regarding FWD cars is surely the final nail...
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

Audi and Mercedes Benz have gone berserk by creating all manner of new models to fill every niche dreamed up by marketing gurus. BMW need to resist this urge. Also, an FF BMW is just a weird, un-BMW concept.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

At least for me, I still see more 7 series and S class than Audi A8's.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe View Post
At least for me, I still see more 7 series and S class than Audi A8's.
Is it because the 7 Series is still so ugly that you can't take your eyes off it?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
fordgt84
Regular User

so according to a research done by bmw themselves, 4 out of 5 1-series owners think their cars are fwd

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/248407/
Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
marcefer
Regular User

[quote=fordgt84;874234]so according to a research done by bmw themselves, 4 out of 5 1-series owners think their cars are fwd

I need an icon banging the head on the wall...

Do they know cars run on fuel?
marcefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #13
zeus_2011
Regular User

That;s most probably because, apart from the 130i, the rest of the range is an understeering nightmare
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
franck bullitt
Regular User

Location: 10 mls from Eurodisneyland....and too far from unlimited speed's highway!

A few years ago, Mercedes-Benz-Daimler-Chrysler (choose the current name ) has started to produce FWD cars...an evolution, not a revolution! and, even 'im a RWD cars fan, it doesn't sound shocking that this company starts making FWD ptforms...and just to sum it up: M5 and E63 are still RWD cars