Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #31
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

wow, i need to bookmark this page.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #32
e46drew
Regular User

after being in service fo years all this seams kinda redundent to me
www.facebook.com/AndyIrelandAgency
e46drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #33
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by e46drew
after being in service fo years all this seams kinda redundent to me
Did you work for BMW drew? I know you have mentioned that you have been involved in motorsports for a number of years. What all has that involved?

4-19 update:

Our FSE dropped by today so i managed to get a little info Here's the few tidbits i got:

E60 M5 6speed is a confirmed thing for the North American market. No specs on the ratios yet, but i am guessing they will be fairly drawn out in 5th and 6th right up to the 155MPH limit.

BMW's rep at the Aftersales Confrence this year stood up and in front of the whole group (Field Service Engineers, Warranty Reps ,etc ) said the E90 is the highest quality vehicle BMW has ever produced. It beats the E46 M3 in the slalom like it's nothing. With the Dynamic Drive introduced in the E65, and AFS introduced in the E60, it is going to be one of the most agile machines on the road.

E90 M3: No confirmation on the 400 vs 475 rumor i mentioned last week as he hasn't heard any other news from Germany on it. But look for it to have the 7 speed SMG as well 8)

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #34
e46drew
Regular User

i've been a technician from 1996, working on sport bikes, cruisers, personal watter craft ( jet skies) snowmobiles and A.T.V.s. Not as well paying as cars, but I think more fun.
My comment was because , and of corse your new at the game and still excited, but it all blends in, and really its all the same. there is a piston a crank, some cams some other whatnot and sensors wires and a few modules. Some preform better then others and some are cheep junk. I mostly enjoy the thrill of driving, or riding exciting things. Its the technical blah thats not fun any more.
Sure things are getting lighter and faster( according to a friend in the plastics industry) there is testing of plastic engine components soon to be mass produced, i.e. throttle bodies, valve covers, intake manifolds and the such to come, sure its all neat stuff, but i just want to take it to the limit, and let the event speak for it self.
Kinda like a test drive i took in a vett last week, the salesman went through about a half hour of neat new features about the car, then i went for a drive and then could feal some excitement, but the going on about electric this and gizmo that, its just boring now. I just want seat of the pants thrill. 8)
www.facebook.com/AndyIrelandAgency
e46drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 PM   #35
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by e46drew
i've been a technician from 1996, working on sport bikes, cruisers, personal watter craft ( jet skies) snowmobiles and A.T.V.s. Not as well paying as cars, but I think more fun.
My comment was because , and of corse your new at the game and still excited, but it all blends in, and really its all the same. there is a piston a crank, some cams some other whatnot and sensors wires and a few modules. Some preform better then others and some are cheep junk. I mostly enjoy the thrill of driving, or riding exciting things. Its the technical blah thats not fun any more.
Sure things are getting lighter and faster( according to a friend in the plastics industry) there is testing of plastic engine components soon to be mass produced, i.e. throttle bodies, valve covers, intake manifolds and the such to come, sure its all neat stuff, but i just want to take it to the limit, and let the event speak for it self.
Kinda like a test drive i took in a vett last week, the salesman went through about a half hour of neat new features about the car, then i went for a drive and then could feal some excitement, but the going on about electric this and gizmo that, its just boring now. I just want seat of the pants thrill. 8)
I see what you're getting at now. Even some of the older guys at work though are amazed by some of this stuff. The power ratings are climbing, along with the fuel mileage and engine displacements aren't climbing all that much either.

The things that are amazing me, is more the engine elecronics. the VANOS and Valvetronic systems are amazing. And now with the E90, we could see the beginning of complete O2 control over fuel injector on times and the phasing out of the mass air flow meters. Europe is already seeing the wide band lambda sensors taking the place of convetional O2s.

The typical engine is boring to me, yes. But it's the advancement of the technology that is amazing me. Just wait for my post on the M5 engine electronics

Old 04-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #36
ZfrkS62
Regular User

The first face lifted 7 series has arrived. A 2006 750i 8) The E65/66's looks are a big improvement over the start of the run, and i was a fan of the first style, so i'm lovin the new one with the exception that it now looks like the car is smiling, compared to the stern stare the 02-05 7 series had

As you can all see, the style is not as harsh now as the headlights have been reshaped. Note the point they come to on the inside corners. Not as drastic as the E60 but it does soften up the look of the front end nicely.

The trunk lid got the restyle for the rear, now with a lip a "spoiler" lip at the back of it, a chrome ring around the Roundel, and a neater looking stoplight set up. I'm thinking some people are now going to say the rear looks cluttered, but IMO this is an improvement 8)

E90's are slated to arrive around the 29th of this month

Old 04-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #37
ZfrkS62
Regular User

The E91 3 series Sport Wagon will be officially unveiled at the Frankfurt Motorshow in September this year. (anyone with a camera in the area, please go check it out )

The Sports Wagon will be availible in October in the US as a 325xi, with a rear wheel drive model following n 2006.

It will come standard with a 6speed manual, and have a 6 speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission availible as an option (approx. $1,250 extra)

New DSC features

Brake Drying:
Employing the rain sensor used for the automatic windshield wipers, the brake pads will be brought to the rotors just enough to clear away any water film on the rotors without causing a brake application.

Brake Standby:
In the event that the driver suddenly lets off the accelerator, the DSC unit will bring the pads to the rotors to decrease the lag time of initial brake action.

MSRP: $34,695
Typical equip: $39,345

Old 04-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #38
ZfrkS62
Regular User

We recieve 5 E90's yesterday, but like the useless retard i am, i forgot my camera 2 days in a row :roll:

If i rememeber right, we got 3 330i's and 3 325i's. one 6 speed (silver 330) and the rest automatics ( ) I dont' remember which colors we got (the 325 i PDI'd was Arctic Silver, a 330 was silver, and another is black..)

These things move and stop moving fucking quick

I'll take pics tomorrow and have them up in the evening. (i'm GMT -5, so i dont' know what time of the day that is for everyone)

Every dealer in the country got their first 5 E90's yesterday, and will get the rest of their allotment on May 6th, which is the official retail date.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:24 AM   #39
blah
Regular User

i will stop by my BMW dealer to see if the E90 is in. O btw Zfrk i was checking out video from bimmerfest that a friend took, and he captured the E60 M5, and a black 330I E90 from what it looks like.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:26 AM   #40
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
i will stop by my BMW dealer to see if the E90 is in. O btw Zfrk i was checking out video from bimmerfest that a friend took, and he captured the E60 M5, and a black 330I E90 from what it looks like.
where was this bimmerfest?

Old 04-28-2005, 02:24 AM   #41
Just_me
Regular User

Im so happy cause Im probably the only one at jabbas who has driven the new 320 and 330i :fist:
Old 04-28-2005, 02:25 AM   #42
blah
Regular User

It was held at a BMW dealer in SB. You never heard of it???

http://www.bimmerfest.com/ Info on it

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=95601&page=1- some pics

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...p?t=95619-This thread has most links from other sites to pics. Enjoy i hope you have no work tommarow because you will be on this for a while.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #43
ZfrkS62
Regular User

@ Just_me: I've driven both 325 and 330 :fist: we don't have the 320 here.

@blah: and these links i will have to check out. I wasn't even aware that the M5 was in the states yet

Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #44
blah
Regular User

It had Distrubtor Plates on it.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #45
ZfrkS62
Regular User

That means it was some BMW rep. Were they Cali. or Georgia plates? He was probably the FSE or Product Development Manager (i think that's their title) or higher. Those guys are lucky as hell. BMW gives them a car and pays all their insurance and they get to pick the car!!

*EDIT* I have the pics of the E90's and will post them tomorrow if i'm concious enough after work. 2 of them got picked up i think because i only found 3 of them. The black and silver 330s and the arctic silver 325. I know we had a graphite 325 and i think the 5th was another black one.