Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #16
findleybeast
Regular User

haha like how that last line rhymed...

great thread ZfrkS62. by the way, have there been any problems with valvetronics? i know they haven't been around too long, but I figured having an electric motor involved in such an important engine task might have a big risk of burning out or something. really wondering just out of curiousity.
oh yeah, and why did they want to keep the magnesium block from being conductive? afraid it might burst into flames?

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 AM   #17
SilviaEvo
Regular User

hmmmmmmmm i want the M3 . i hope it will be 475. then there is the CSL version to consider. but i dont think they will make the M3 475hp because the CSL should be around there? just a guess
Old 04-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by findleybeast
haha like how that last line rhymed...

great thread ZfrkS62. by the way, have there been any problems with valvetronics? i know they haven't been around too long, but I figured having an electric motor involved in such an important engine task might have a big risk of burning out or something. really wondering just out of curiousity.
oh yeah, and why did they want to keep the magnesium block from being conductive? afraid it might burst into flames?
the valvetronic system has been nearly bullet proof so far. going from min. to max lift, the motors may spike at 100AMPS but they only take a few milliseconds to hit full throttle. the rest of the time they just make fine adjustments based on the values the accelerator pedal is sending to the valvetronic computer. There are 4 failsafe programs that are used if there
is a fault in the system however. depending on what went wrong. the worst case scenario, being "call the tow truck or idle back to the dealer".

Magnesium, being very light, will corrode rapidly once it starts to go. so, if you start running electricity through it, it may start to pit. the intake manifold on the 760 is already magnesium so they have been watching it closely to determine any problems before they made an engine out of it. I'm pretty confident we won't see any massive problems.

Silvia- with the accepted rumors thus far, the CSL will be at about 420HP. But if the numbers for the standard are anywhere near correct, you could see the CSL at maybe 485-490.
If the speculation is high though, and the M3 produces even 415-425HP, the CSL still may approx 450. However don't hold your breath on it coming stateside as the emissions will more than likely kill that dream.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #19
jakaracman
Regular User

Wow, nice. Finaly all these designations on one spot. Now we just need E90 and refreshed 7 series added (730, 740, 750) ... And of course all of the diesels ...
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 PM   #20
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by jakaracman
Wow, nice. Finaly all these designations on one spot. Now we just need E90 and refreshed 7 series added (730, 740, 750) ... And of course all of the diesels ...
i don't know what the European designations are since BMW-NA doesn't see any reason that we should know it.

The facelifted 7 will still be the E65/66, and won't get a new designation until the next chassis is decided on.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:11 PM   #21
ZfrkS62
Regular User

We just got a shippment of 5 2006 E60's in today. 2 525's and 3 530's. The E90 should be following within the next couple of weeks.

this is our first look at the N52 in the metal 8) Both the 525 and 530 are 3.0 inline 6 engines. The difference between them is the intake and programming. I think the same will go for the 325 and 330. Notice that the headlights are now blacked out instead of having the chrome reflector. I think it looks a tad more aggressive now 8)

note the 7,000RPM redline:

Also the designations list has been updated to include the new cars. No E90 yet as i am going to wait until they get unloaded from the transport truck first 8)

Old 04-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #22
ZfrkS62
Regular User

BMW has announced the the US will see the return of diesel powered vehicles in 2007. The X5 will most likely be the first recipient of the engine which is going to be a sequential twinturbo set up on an inline 6 (think Toyota Supra TT setup)

Old 04-16-2005, 04:39 AM   #23
LotusGT1
Regular User

Was also a E36 316i available...
Old 04-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #24
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^^ yes, but as i said in the first post, that list covered US models only.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #25
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Originally Posted by jakaracman
i don't know what the European designations are since BMW-NA doesn't see any reason that we should know it.

The facelifted 7 will still be the E65/66, and won't get a new designation until the next chassis is decided on.
I meant new engines in the 7 series ... Engine codes change ...
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #26
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
BMW has announced the the US will see the return of diesel powered vehicles in 2007. The X5 will most likely be the first recipient of the engine which is going to be a sequential twinturbo set up on an inline 6 (think Toyota Supra TT setup)
Thats the engine from 535d. It's amazing (drove it for 2 weeks a month ago), in wet traction control light stays on thru 3rd gear an flicks in 4th (tat would be 100 mph, I guess) ...
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #27
ZfrkS62
Regular User

as far as i know, for the US the 7 won't be getting any new engines. however for the European market, the 735(?) will probably have the N52B30 this year along with the rest of the 06 models.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #28
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

they're bringing the diesel here?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #29
ZfrkS62
Regular User

yup, in anopther two years. I just hope they dont' run into the same issue with the diesel here that mercedes ran into years ago. Apparently from what i remember from an ex coworker who was guite involved with Mercedes in the 80's, the paraffin content is too high in the US for the engineering at that time from Mercedes. So it ended up gumming things up.

BMW ran into a similiar problem with the fuel and the cylinder walls of the M60 V8. The fuel ate away at the coating causing misfires, so BMW replaced the entire first run of the M60 with the M60/2 prior to the release of the M62.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #30
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Ok, as jakaracman mentioned, the 745 is gone and replaced with the 750 (same as 545-550 and 645-650) The N62B44 is being replaced with the N62B48TU as of 5/05 for the 06 model year.

the power is now up to about 360HP@6100RPM

ConRod bolts are narrower, down from 22MM wide to 18MM, Crankshaft has been changed from a graphite alloy to steel to handle the higher stress. and the main bearings are now a 3 piece bearing.

The intake has been completely changed from the opening all the way to the DISA unit (variable intake runner length) The DISA unit is no longer infinetly variable as on the N62B44, but now a two stage short/long runner.

The list has also been updated with the changes.