Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines

Books, Comics And Magazines This is the place to discuss Books, Comics And Magazines that you have read / are reading

Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Default Old German Books--Are They Worth Any Money?

Hey guys! I discovered a few old German books in my library and was wondering if any of you has any idea as to how much they might be worth.

Here are the covers/first pages for three of them:

Thanks for any help!

Mihai
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
antonioledesma
Regular User

if they are complete with the hardcover, and no missing pages they should be valuable. You should ask for local bookstores that carry antique books, then go to the bookstores, and the books will be checked by "experts" that surely will offer you some money.
As always don't go with the first offer, go see other bookstores and you should get a nice reward $$$ 8)
maybe one of your books has a nice monetary value, but don't expect more than... I don't know for sure... 200 usd

if you lived here in mexico I would take you to a flea market where they appreciate rare and antique books

I don't know very much about old books, but my grandfather traded and sold books
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
BADMIHAI
Regular User

They are complete with original hardcover and one of them is from 1857.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
Toronto
Regular User

stealing from a library eh...
best to always go to a collector he will tell you how much it would cost or a ball park rumber
Old 06-09-2005, 01:20 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

here is a sample catalogue listing of a Quedlinburg und Leipzig book - I think..

38. [_____] Ettmuller, Ludwig. Vorda vealhstod Engla and Seaxna. Lexicon Anglosaxonicum ex poetarum scriptorumque prosaicorum operibus nec non lexicis anglosaxonicis collectum, cum synopsi grammatica. Quedlinburg & Leipzig: Gottfr. Basse; London: Williams & Norgate, 1851.
$425
First edition, 8vo, pp. lxxi, [1], 767; original printed wrappers; spine split for its entire length, but rather than reback and lose the original appearance, this copy is now housed in a new cloth clamshell box with leather label; except for the split, this copy in nice original condition, largely unopened. The 29th publication in a series entitled "Bibliothek der Gesamm-ten Deutschen National-Literatur." Anglo-Saxon to Latin dictionary, including a synopsis of the O.E. grammar in the introduction by the esteemed German philologist.
http://www.rulon.com/Catpages/cat%20127/127Anglo.htm

So you may a little money there.

BTW, your best bet is to check with the Library of Congress.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Thanks RC. I'll go to a bookstore that keeps old books and ask them how much they'd be willing to fork out. I'm not in a hurry to sell these books.