Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
saadie
Regular User

Default Villeneuve retires

Jacques Villeneuve will not be racing with BMW Sauber for the remainder of the 2006 season, it was announced on Monday. Following discussions last week, both parties agreed to terminate their current contract with immediate effect, five races ahead of schedule.
http://formula1.com/news/4785.html

Another great F1 driver goes out of the sport

he came to F1 when the cars really needed skills to drive
check out this video you'll see what im saying ... .
its too hard for a driver of that age adjust into this new born robot kid era
sad to see him go
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

It's been said that JV didn't take teh change from slicks to groved tires well.

He was never a "great" against the likes of Hakkonen, Senna, Schumacher, Prost... but... he was definately good, especially in a superior car...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Fleischmann
Regular User

It's pretty simple to deduct that Kubica will be taking his place for the last 5 races. But this may be temporary, he's performed quite well for BMW-Sauber so anything can happen next season.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
dannyroz
Regular User

The subject name is a little deceiving, I thought he was retiring for good.

I already knew he wasnt coming back as soon as Kubica's result came in.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
saadie
Regular User

he might come back .......

flavio has offered him once .. he might do it again
Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

Theres a new generation of pilots and this had to happen soon, his father was awesome and he has been F1 champion, will be nice to talk about the Villeneuve's, if he retires im sure we will see him soon with kristensen and company... Its a drug you cant leave!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 AM   #7
saadie
Regular User

^^ thast just you ....

Question: “What would you say about the fate of Jacques Villeneuve?”
Heidfeld: “That is Formula 1! If I look at his performance, he has not done anything wrong.”
Question: “How is your relationship with him?”
Heidfeld: “Rather good. Because of Jacques I understand myself better, more than I would have expected before I changed teams. We get along really well with one another.”
Question: “Would you be sad, if he should not return?”
Heidfeld: “That would definitely be sad for him, because he has done a good job. For a few years he had some difficulties, it was not possible for him to show the best results, but lately he was doing very well. I would be sad if he did not come back.”
Old 08-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
Toronto
Regular User

i would fight to the death that he didn't win his championship, his car did.
and i don't know of any competitive team that would want to pick him up.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 AM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
Originally Posted by saadie
^^ thast just you ....

Question: “What would you say about the fate of Jacques Villeneuve?”
Heidfeld: “That is Formula 1! If I look at his performance, he has not done anything wrong.”
Question: “How is your relationship with him?”
Heidfeld: “Rather good. Because of Jacques I understand myself better, more than I would have expected before I changed teams. We get along really well with one another.”
Question: “Would you be sad, if he should not return?”
Heidfeld: “That would definitely be sad for him, because he has done a good job. For a few years he had some difficulties, it was not possible for him to show the best results, but lately he was doing very well. I would be sad if he did not come back.”
well, no one is really going to speak negatively about him!! usually everyone has nice things to say and then at the end its a "we just wanted to go in a different direction"
It's not you, it's me LOL!!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Toronto
Regular User

i smell.. NASCAR...
Old 08-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #11
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by Toronto
i smell.. NASCAR...
I hope not... Too many Americans already associate Canada with France, I really don't want to see a French-Canadian in NASCAR perpetuating that stereotype.

Ron Fellows, now there's a Canadian I'm down with <3
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
dannyroz
Regular User

Well there was a rumor (reported here on JW by me ) that its lucrative and good money...guess now he has the free time to try it

I gotta say though Id rather see ex-F1 drivers in Champ Car or IRL then fucking GAYCAR. The lineup in Champ Car is kinda crappy and needs to be revamped. There are some good vets like Tracy and da Matta (get well soon) but thats it. And Im somewhat sick of that frenchman whats his face winning races. Jacques go to Champ Car!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #13
saadie
Regular User

^^ or le mans or DTM ... 8)
Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
sameerrao
Regular User

I was never a Villeneuve fan to begin with ... so I wont miss him that much. But he deserves a better send off than what he got this time as well as in 2004.

Looking back he turned up in his debut year (1996) with an amazing performance at the first race. Took pole and was leading the race till he retired due to car problems. Talk about a meteoric rise. Here was a rookie competing against Damon who had about 3 years of experience driving with Williams by then.

He basically took the world by storm. Even then one could see see elements of his character that marked out him as a man who wanted to be different and was pretty headstrong and opinionated. He and Patrick Head frequently battled over car setups at the races over the 1996-1998 seasons. I think JV wanted a car that was extremely stiffly sprung. At some tracks this was not ideal and Patrick wanted him to change but JV was insistent that his way was right.

Ask Patrick Head about their impressions of JV - they say he made winning the 1997 crown seem more difficult that it really was due to his obstinate nature. The Williams car was far and away the best car in the field in 1996-1997.

Jacques witnessed Michael make a move from an established team to mould a struggling team with proper players and navigate it towards the victory path. In his hubris, Jv though he could do the same. He believed that he could replicate Schumacher's achievements at BAR. The BAR-era was an absolute waste of his skills and it looked like JV had forgotten how to drive a fast car. Even when 2004 rolled in and BAR was regularly gracing the podiums, it was Jenson who was reaping the points and not JV who was pretty much outclassed. Basically JV looked a spent force who was past his sell-by-date.

When JV came back for 3 races in 2005, it looked he was away for 10 years and not 9 months as he seemed to be really slow. Granted it was a new car to him and he hardly got practice but Alonso pretty much made mincemeat of JV.

I was perplexed to see that Peter Sauber picked him then for 2005. He seemed an illogical choice and JV was pretty much slow throughout the year. This year however, I thought Villenueve did a great job pretty much matching Heidfeld (who I thought put Webber down a peg or so last year). It looked like JV's speed was on its way back. But alas Jacques could not really show his true potential.

Anyway, wish him the best of luck for his future. He was a brave driver who wanted to do it his way but ultimately he wasn't in control of his destiny. Au Revoir!

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #15
Mattk
Regular User

Jacques go to Champ Car!!!
He did that before Formula One. Not so sure he'll go back.