Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 01-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #16
Regular User

In 50 years we will be driving electic engines, and before that f1 cars will be diesels i guess. Audi is driving diesel engines in this years Le Mans.
03200165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 AM   #17
black_magician
Regular User

^^ a diesel F1 car would be interesting . It'll be black cloud central after a race!
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:39 AM   #18
sameerrao
Regular User

The V8 sounds nice ... I agree with dani - The V12s were the best by far. The V10s were vacuum cleaner sounding by comparison.

Actually seeing the 1995 season on F1 Decade (Speed TV) was a treat because it was the last year where you could here a V12, V8 and a V10 together - by engine note sound alone you could make easily idebntify the cars.

When I saw an F1 race live in 2003 and 2004, I couldn't identify the various top running car makes by listening to the engine note. The only car I could make out was the Minardi - probably because it was revving much lower than the others and sounded more gutteral.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:10 AM   #19
Toronto
Regular User

here are some sounds files for you guys to compare the engines, and more
***Don't Post This Link***
http://torontosden.com/F1images/F1%20Sounds.rar
Old 01-30-2006, 04:06 AM   #20
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
here are some sounds files for you guys to compare the engines, and more
http://torontosden.com/F1images/F1%20Sounds.rar
That is awesome!!!
Old 02-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
Max Power

Alonso is only 1.5s of the pace of the lap record...can u say V6
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #22
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

When they first tested the v8s they were 5s off the pace but with the reintroduction of softer compound tyres and betta aerodynamics the cars are within a second of last years pace.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:31 AM   #23
Regular User

When they first tested the v8s they were 5s off the pace but with the reintroduction of softer compound tyres and betta aerodynamics the cars are within a second of last years pace.
Yes indeed, they are driving under the fastest lap time that was set in Bahrain. That is logical, because the dfastest laptime in Bahrain was set last year.
03200165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #24
cooperluke
Regular User

A V10 is another planet!!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #25
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

Mosleys Radical Engine Plan For 2011

FIA president Max Mosley has proposed to totally revolutionise formula one's engine rules.

Although the brand new 2.4 litre V8 formula is yet to even debut at a grand prix, the Briton revealed that the Federation was - for 2011 - thinking about no longer mandating the number of cylinders or engine capacity.

Instead, one of the only limits on engine design would be the amount of fuel allowed per race.

''All kinds of motors will be allowed,'' Max was quoted as saying by the Italian 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' newspaper, ''but every car will get an equal amount of fuel. So it will be based on (fuel) consumption. Who wins will be the one who uses (the fuel) best.''

Mosley admitted that his idea also tips its hat to the world's 'oil crisis' and to critics of the excesses and waste of futile motor racing.

He said : ''It is something that we will talk about at greater length on a later date.''

Source GMM
© CAPSIS International

I Think Its A Great Idea But Honda Would Trounce Every1 Like IN 1988 With Their 1.5L V6 Had 1000BHP+ In Qualie Trim And Was The Most Fuel Efficient
Old 02-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #26
exhausted mules
Regular User

^^^ i think that is the best idea to come out of that important dude since i can remember.

i think it'll bring some engine ideas as "variable displacment" and general better use of throtle managment.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:01 PM   #27
leo_26782
Regular User

It has allready been tried in the past and even if I don't remember the whole story, there is a reason for me not to have known it

But I like the idea as well...
leo_26782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 PM   #28
Cockrocket
Regular User

In a few years the FIA will have in introduce new engine rules once again as eventualy the power output of the V8 will match that of the 2005 season, yet they weigh less so the cars will be ven quicker. This is as pointless waste of time as the changes in wing design for last year to reduce amount of downforce created. Not many races into the season, the engineers found ways to make as much if not more downforce as the previous season so the cars were going faster than the previous season. Waste of time.

How bout this for an idea for slowing cars down. Decide on a maximum poweroutput of the engines!! :idea:

Say they decide on engine outputs to be 700bhp, ferrari bmw etc can spend as much money as they like on engine design but at the end of the day the actual power is restricted. With the current sytem, a lot of money is going to be used by the top teams in development to make as much power as possible! This :idea: is cheaper and easier!!

Ultimatly F1 is going downhill....its all about DTM i think! fast and closer action!

The Best is the Best...but their is always someone Better!
Cockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #29
gobs3z
Regular User

I problem with power restrictions is that it is very easy for them to cheat, by having one program to run the engine while on the dyno creating 700hp while on the track a flip of the switch will give you 800hp. Two different engine maps, one to restrict the output and one to release all of the potential. Or have a button that you woul use sometimes (kind of like a boost button without the turbos).

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 AM   #30
exhausted mules
Regular User

and having no power cap means that engineers WILL spend long hours drinking coffee trying to figure out how to get another 10 horsepower over there competititors.

that's racing and if we negate a cap on something like power... it'll rule out a huge part of the sport.

what they are doing now is the best. give the enigeers a set of base rules (weight, size and piston count) it makes them focus on other allternatives.

so in the end... say another 10 years from now. there wont be a part of the engine that hasn't been refined to such a degree that your civic will be able to have 300 horspower on 2 liters and run for 300 000 kilometers.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote