Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

View Poll Results: whats the best 4 cylinder engine?
SR20DET 15 71.43%
FQ330 3 14.29%
3SGTE 2 9.52%
CA18DET 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
drift*r2xs
Regular User

Default Whats the best drift car?

what is your favorite drift car and why
Racing a Honda is like being in th special olympics, even for you win you are still retarded!!!

1989 Nissan 240sx se with a sr20det on the way
drift*r2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
na2o
Regular User

well, i heard that the best to drift in is the Toyota camery.. don't ask me why but i THINK it's because of the suspension. i've been told that by the best drifters here in saudi arabia.. they do some CRAZY stuff here and i mean CRAZY. i'll try to post some drifting videos in the near future
na2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
dragula_bassman
Regular User

sweet!! My fave would have to be the S13 or the R34GTS, You know what I am talking about, Drift*R2XS

"Drifting in a neighborhood near you!"
'93 NiSSan Sentra SE-R
dragula_bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 AM   #4
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

tubocharged SR20DET, all the way. proven power, and if its done right the engine is bulletproof. throw it in a silvia, fiddle with the suspension and get some slippery tires and you'll be set. then buy more body parts after intimately meeting the wall.....
Old 03-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
crazyxzer0
Regular User

Persoanlly the SR20DET seems to be best 4 cylinder that is still in current production. It almost has no competition in terms of drifting. The Nissan Silvia has gained a lot of popularity for drifting as it's a powerful engine with more than enough power as well as RWD.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
dragula_bassman
Regular User

Hardcore SRT4 said:

"tubocharged SR20DET, all the way. proven power, and if its done right the engine is bulletproof"

What are you talking about, it IS bulletproof from the factory!
SR20DE... Hmmmm.... oh Yeah, one of those that comes in the SE-R, umm... so that means that little red car I have for my avitar, it has one! :shock:

'93 NiSSan Sentra SE-R=SR20DE inside!!

"Drifting in a neighborhood near you!"
'93 NiSSan Sentra SE-R
dragula_bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
aliendude012
Regular User

I guess I'm confused. The question at hand seems to differ between your post and your poll. The post asks for best drifting car, while the poll is asking about the best four cylinder engine. As I'm sure you must know, drifting isn't really about the engine at all. It's nice to have the power to do it, and for that I voted for the SR20DET. It's a nice engine, and an extremely common swap into 240SX's, and so it must be pretty good. But drifting is much more about the car as a whole. It needs to be front engined, rear wheel drive, have a certain(dont know it) weight distribution ratio, the proper suspension setup, tires that slip easily enough to 'drift' through the turns, but hold well enough to stick to the ground in straights, etc. There's a lot more involved than just the engine.

My dogs better 'cuz he gets Kennelrations.
FCE Forums
aliendude012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
StanAE86
Regular User

The poll isn't the same question as the thread title. What car is the FQ motor out of? Of the other three that I know of, I think the SR20 is the best with the CA18 close behind - when you're talking about normal people modifications. The 3SG motor isn't as popular, but it's got the potential for enormous power. In JGTCC, I think I remember the Supras were actually running modified 3SG motors and not the 2JZ motors. I'm guessing it had to do with liter restrictions for the class perhaps? In the regular world, modifying the SR20 is way easier because there's much more support.

As far as platforms, straight out of the box, the AE86 is my favorite. My old car was easily controllable for drifting. Much more so than the S13s that I've been in. It might have been seattime though, but like Chris said, it's more than just power.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #9
crazyxzer0
Regular User

Well, to point out aliendude a little further...a car with basic setup and RWD as well as a LSD in the rear will allow the car to be driftable. Tires are limited to power to slip it..
Old 03-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #10
aliendude012
Regular User

Stan, they may have been able to get a better power-range out of the smaller 3sgte. Supra's tend to make their power from larger and larger turbos. Some of which can take a lifetime to spool. So perhaps using the smaller motor, they can modify it to the point where it has an optimal amount of power for road-racing, and this power is more readily available across the spectrum.

As for the fq330, its out of the Mitsu LanEvo 8, but who drifts an awd evo?

My dogs better 'cuz he gets Kennelrations.
FCE Forums
aliendude012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #11
StanAE86
Regular User

Rhys Millen was using his rally EVO before the switch to the new GTO...smoking all four tires. It was pretty impressive, but it didn't seem like it required as much talent as the RWD cars. He would go into a turn super hot and the AWD pulled him through. Must less of a "drift" than what they appear to do on dirt.

On a side thought, I saw a Top Gear review of the Noble M12 and they actually send it out with LSD. I think it was Clarkson who stated that the guys at Noble felt that putting in an LSD would upset the balance and road characteristics of the car. It was somewhat surprising to me because the car oversteers so willingly without LSD, yet appears very controllable.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
initiala4
Regular User

All of this are just engine codes or model...really nothing gotta do about the car. I mean you can just transplants any motor in any car. Like for example putting a SR20DET in a BMW E36.
initiala4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
StanAE86
Regular User

I don't think it's that simply. It's the not the same just mixing and matching. Changing motors will change the characteristics of the car considerably. Things like engine weight and chassis stiffness all come into play and mixing and matching will change that. Depending on what you do, it could be better or worse.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:01 PM   #14
possessed_beaver
Regular User

they are just engines
i reckon the best drift cars IMO with stock suspension
are BMW M3
and s15 silvia
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #15
crazyxzer0
Regular User

Stan, you have a point there where the Noble oversteered and still look controllable w/o the LSD. LSD helps maintain even tire wear when drifting. Don't really want to light up ONLY the inner tires. Light up all the tires

Seems to be a little different drifting an LSD car vs a No LSD car in terms of driving manners as noted before. No matter what car you use, it all comes down to the driver skills. even if the car is the BEST car out there for drifting, it doesn't mean the driver can use the car to 120%.

side note: I thought the EVOs had 4G63 in their engine bay since the beginning. FQ330 seems to denote 3.3 liter..but I don't have the slightest clue on where it is from.